Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tachs and connectors

Old 11-30-2018, 05:33 PM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts
Default tachs and connectors

Wanting to add a tach to my 2003 SuperG.

Just snagged some mickey mouse ears from a Sporty for a good price. The one for late model gauges. So now I need a tach and want a used factory HD unit.

1) My bike is a 2003 Superglide. What years will work? I'm figuring the old style ones will work, but not sure about the later years as Harley goes digital.

2) Anybody know where I can get a connector for the new style tachs? (if those will work) Pics below what I'm talking about.

Thanks!

Old 12-03-2018, 09:41 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,223 Likes on 3,607 Posts

Anything from 99 to 2003 will work, After that they changed ignition modules and sent the data out digitally to the Tach.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:59 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

What's the part # on that tacho?

Old 12-05-2018, 09:10 AM
beanoboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 814 Likes on 498 Posts

Is the wiring loom already on your bike ?...b.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:24 PM
AJ88V
Road Master

Thanks for your replies.
Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Anything from 99 to 2003 will work, After that they changed ignition modules and sent the data out digitally to the Tach.
Yeah, I'm kind of coming to that conclusion. Looking at the wiring diagrams for each model, it looks like I'll have to be very careful to not buy a tach that relies on digital signals.

Originally Posted by FXD2003Rider
What's the part # on that tacho?
Haven't bought a tach yet. Took that picture off of ebay hoping someone would say I needed a Deutsch 5 pin connector or an Amp 6 pin, but it looks like different years and models have different connectors.

Originally Posted by beanoboy
Is the wiring loom already on your bike ?...b.
Nope, or at least not that I know of. I haven't torn into the bike yet. Was planning on splicing into the harness and/or making my own harness and splicing in.

I was hoping to get a late model (white plastic can) tach so it would match the stock look + LED instrumentation lighting, but it looks like Harley went all over the place with different models as they phased in the new digital and CAN bus stuff.

Right now, I'm starting to think I might just get an old style (steel can) tach with three wire (plus light bulb) connections instead. I can pretty much guarantee that will work if I take a signal wire directly to the tach. The only question is can I make the old-style tach (steel can body and separate trim can) fit in the new style instrument mount. Wish I had an old one to play with or at least the dimensions of the old style tachs.

I'll keep this thread updated as this progresses so the forum will have a record of at least one way to do this.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:21 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by AJ88V
Thanks for your replies.

Right now, I'm starting to think I might just get an old style (steel can) tach with three wire (plus light bulb) connections instead. I can pretty much guarantee that will work if I take a signal wire directly to the tach. The only question is can I make the old-style tach (steel can body and separate trim can) fit in the new style instrument mount. Wish I had an old one to play with or at least the dimensions of the old style tachs.

I'll keep this thread updated as this progresses so the forum will have a record of at least one way to do this.
The old style can type FXR tach will not fit. They are too tall compared to the FXDX tachometer. Also they are not very good anymore. They dance around like on meth.. I've run those tach/speedo on a evo bobber and the old ones that came from Japan were pretty good but the newer ones from China and Taiwan have issues. I'm moving to the 2.4 inch ones as they are cheaper and seem to last longer. The bobber just killed it's forth set in about 40000 miles. The latest tach danced from the get go.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:07 PM
AJ88V
Road Master

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
The old style can type FXR tach will not fit. They are too tall compared to the FXDX tachometer. Also they are not very good anymore. They dance around like on meth.. I've run those tach/speedo on a evo bobber and the old ones that came from Japan were pretty good but the newer ones from China and Taiwan have issues. I'm moving to the 2.4 inch ones as they are cheaper and seem to last longer. The bobber just killed it's forth set in about 40000 miles. The latest tach danced from the get go.
This is great info.

1) If you have an old "can style" tach, can you take some measurements for me?

2) I was also worried an older one might not work well. Maybe there are electrical problems that show with age, like defective electrolytic capacitors in them or something.

3) I've seen some of the newer Harley mini tachs go for ok prices on ebay, but I'm thinking it would take more work than it's worth to mate one up to the (new style) mickey mouse ears I just bought made for the 3 1/2 inch tach. Then again, maybe not, and I do have some ideas to mount the smaller tach in that housing - basically just need to make a faceplate to hold the smaller diamter part.

The tachs I found for the 1999-2003 timeframe with 6-pin connectors have the connector coming straight out, not out the side like my first pic. I'm pretty sure this style of tach would work, but need to find a connector that mates to it.

mickey mouse ears i bought look like these but in black

Last edited by AJ88V; 12-05-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:18 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Here's an image of the back of an FXDL tach like it is used on '99 - '03 Dyna models.

This tach accepts a 6-way connector (A) in the back (B).

Parts needed:
- 1 connector, 6-way - tachometer p/n is 72451-00
- 3 terminals 18-22 ga. -tachometer p/n 72452-00

Old 12-06-2018, 11:08 AM
AJ88V
Road Master

Originally Posted by FXD2003Rider
Here's an image of the back of an FXDL tach like it is used on '99 - '03 Dyna models.

This tach accepts a 6-way connector (A) in the back (B).

Parts needed:
- 1 connector, 6-way - tachometer p/n is 72451-00
- 3 terminals 18-22 ga. -tachometer p/n 72452-00
Thanks! I had those part numbers, but wasn't sure you can actually order the connection.

Can you please reload the pic you had? It didn't seem to attach to your post.

FWIW, I'm not that big a fan of the mickey mouse ears for these gauges when on a naked bike. When I installed a Memphis batwing fairing, the single gauge looks silly, but should look great with the matching tach/speedo combo.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:40 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by AJ88V
Thanks! I had those part numbers, but wasn't sure you can actually order the connection.

Can you please reload the pic you had? It didn't seem to attach to your post.

FWIW, I'm not that big a fan of the mickey mouse ears for these gauges when on a naked bike. When I installed a Memphis batwing fairing, the single gauge looks silly, but should look great with the matching tach/speedo combo.
If you are mounting inside a fairing, go here.

speedhut.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tachs and connectors