Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for cadillac smooth performance - FXDL 2014

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 07:52 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

If your a straight line guy, try an air suspension. That will ride like a Cadillac.

another vote for onlins. It was like riding a new bike when I put mine on. I dont feel all the little bumps anymore.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:31 PM
K. Lindberg
Road Captain
Received 366 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Öhlins

Just my 2 cents:

Ohlins are way to expensive both buying and to service. (IMHO!)

I never had Ohlins on a Harley but I have had them on
Guzzi and Ducati, old type piggybacks.
BMW F800GS front & rear, and R NineT Urban G/S rear.

I never felt the level of ride improvement justified the level of investment, but as I’m located in the birthland of Ohlins it was easy to find spareparts and garages that could service them.

I belive there are competitors to Ohlins that are playing in the same leauge but for a lesser price. Both to buy and to service.

Again, just my 2c.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:34 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

Your comparing bikes that have already good suspension on them. I can see your point on those bikes.

These harley stock suspensions are the biggest joke. The difference is night and day.

I also ride sport bikes...tbh sport bike suspensions are pretty damn good out of the box already.

The following users liked this post:
crusader1xxx (01-04-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 04:04 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by harlot
I currently have Hagon 13" and FXDLS catridges on my bike.

Harsh is being kind when describing the ride. The rear shocks do not even have 3/4 inch sag when setup at the softest.

The front catridge kit causes my hand to drive the throttle up when hitting a medium bump, causing jerks when riding.

Cost was a concern when setting up the bike, which is why I went for what I currently have.

But I have to say, stock was something I'm happier with compared to the current ride.

Looking for suggestions on how to make my bike smooth as glass.

Cost is no longer an issue, and I'm looking to hear any suggestions from you guys that's already tried multiple brands who can advice on smooth performing setup for me.

Reading through the forums, I'm particularly drawn to Pro Action suspension, Ohlins Piggyback, Hagon Nitros, Legand Revo A.
Having said that, the consensus, is that every suspension of the above is good. Which is nice, but I'm looking for someone that has tried them all, and will be able to suggest what's the best balance between comfort and performance.

I've emailed Howard and George for their opinion, but haven't heard back, probably due to the Christmas season.

Lastly, just curious, do the number of coils on a shock matter? I noticed the Hagon Nitros have 10 coils when the Ohlins have 7.

We've tested all you listed (and more) but the Hagon's, front and rear.

Here are the Comparison Reports, and these results are the reason we started carrying what we do-

Front Suspension Report Link

Rear Suspension Report Link

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Mark Faulkner (01-02-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 12:33 AM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

If smooth is what you want stock 2000+ FXDX 13.5 rear shocks can't be beat. It's that simple. My back hurt bad, I almost had to quit riding. Then someone gave me DX shocks. 12yrs later WOW, I'm still riding.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:45 AM
maydaymike
Tourer
Received 61 Likes on 29 Posts

It sounds like you have too heavy a spring on your Hagons. I have the cheapest ($210/pr) Hagons on my Dyna, and they ride great I have to run them in the middle preload position to get the proper sag. Where did you order yours from? I ordered from Dave Quinn, (sadly no longer in business), and he asked lots of questions about weight, luggage, riding style, etc, to select the right springs for my application. This is the third set I've bought from him, and they've been spot on every time.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:15 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,919 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Honestly the bikes too light to give you what you want but good luck in the pursuit it always teaches you things.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:03 AM
harlot
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by maydaymike
It sounds like you have too heavy a spring on your Hagons. I have the cheapest ($210/pr) Hagons on my Dyna, and they ride great I have to run them in the middle preload position to get the proper sag. Where did you order yours from? I ordered from Dave Quinn, (sadly no longer in business), and he asked lots of questions about weight, luggage, riding style, etc, to select the right springs for my application. This is the third set I've bought from him, and they've been spot on every time.
straight from hagon

reached back out and dave (not quinn) was informing me that because of my weight, I'm in between springs.
going to a lighter weight would mean too much sag, and no passenger

So I'm not on the lowest setting with .5 inch of sag.

Have to say Hagon is superb on customer service, Dave sent out a suspressor to drop the sag further.
I didn't even ask him to fix the original shock, but he tried.

Looking at pro action, wrote to howard to seek information on some ohlins and got a "just call me" response, which doesnt work for me, being 16 hours off in time.
I asked for a few recommendations through email but never heard back.

maydaymike (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 01:10 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Howard is definitely a phone guy. I also don't think he sleeps. And he doesn't seem to ever take time off. No idea how the man does it. I'd hazard a guess that anything from 6am-11pm Eastern, Mon-Sat would be OK to call. Worst case, he just doesn't answer.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:26 AM
harlot
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by maydaymike
straight from hagon

reached back out and dave (not quinn) was informing me that because of my weight, I'm in between springs.
going to a lighter weight would mean too much sag, and no passenger

So I'm not on the lowest setting with .5 inch of sag.

Have to say Hagon is superb on customer service, Dave sent out a suspressor to drop the sag further.
I didn't even ask him to fix the original shock, but he tried.

Looking at pro action, wrote to howard to seek information on some ohlins and got a "just call me" response, which doesnt work for me, being 16 hours off in time.
I asked for a few recommendations through email but never heard back.

Quick Reply: looking for cadillac smooth performance - FXDL 2014