Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for cadillac smooth performance - FXDL 2014

Old 12-25-2018, 09:47 PM
harlot
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default looking for cadillac smooth performance - FXDL 2014

I currently have Hagon 13" and FXDLS catridges on my bike.

Harsh is being kind when describing the ride. The rear shocks do not even have 3/4 inch sag when setup at the softest.

The front catridge kit causes my hand to drive the throttle up when hitting a medium bump, causing jerks when riding.

Cost was a concern when setting up the bike, which is why I went for what I currently have.

But I have to say, stock was something I'm happier with compared to the current ride.

Looking for suggestions on how to make my bike smooth as glass.

Cost is no longer an issue, and I'm looking to hear any suggestions from you guys that's already tried multiple brands who can advice on smooth performing setup for me.

Reading through the forums, I'm particularly drawn to Pro Action suspension, Ohlins Piggyback, Hagon Nitros, Legand Revo A.
Having said that, the consensus, is that every suspension of the above is good. Which is nice, but I'm looking for someone that has tried them all, and will be able to suggest what's the best balance between comfort and performance.

I've emailed Howard and George for their opinion, but haven't heard back, probably due to the Christmas season.

Lastly, just curious, do the number of coils on a shock matter? I noticed the Hagon Nitros have 10 coils when the Ohlins have 7.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:10 AM
madwrencher
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Probably won't find someone that has tried all of those suspensions unless they work at a shop. As far as rear shocks go anything that has adjustable rebound you can adjust for a smooth ride or handling or a compromise of both.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:06 AM
52edub
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Check DK Customs as they did a lot of suspension testing.

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/

Old 12-26-2018, 07:15 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,512 Likes on 3,770 Posts

Buy a Cadillac! Now if you really want to get there, maybe a Lexus.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:36 AM
Rusty19MCSFV
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One word.... Ohlins Ohlins Ohlins Ohlins Ohlins Ohlins. Just look at their technology. Not just the forums but their website and specs and technology. Hands down number one with price being of no consequence. And when you get them. They’re ordered to your specific weight, bike, passenger, load.... to the T. Out of the box good to bolt on and enjoy some fine wine with your new smooth cadilllac ride.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:06 AM
Boostedboxer04
Road Captain
Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

Ohlins front and rear . Upgrade your motor mounts. Top it off with a nice seat .

Old 12-29-2018, 12:00 PM
Payson
Cruiser
Received 90 Likes on 37 Posts

Why not include Progressive or Racetech? I have always heard good things about Racetech. Sadly my budget was Progressive, pleased with results. But, I was not looking for "Cadillac." Was looking for more "Camaro" IE - better handling, not a concentration on ride.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:22 AM
Tall Timber
Road Warrior
Received 425 Likes on 259 Posts

I have 11.5" progressives on one bike and 11" Pro-Actions on the other.

Despite the Pro-Actions being a lower shock they have tripple the travel and ride so much more plush than the progressives.

Well Priced too.

Last edited by Tall Timber; 12-30-2018 at 02:25 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:07 PM
TOE_CUTTER
Road Master
Received 285 Likes on 207 Posts

I would call Howard. You will get through eventually. He can set-up the suspension to exactly to what you are requesting. I sent him new front tubes and lower sliders, so he could set-up everything so it could be a bolt-on set-up when I received the front suspension back from him. More upfront cost, but less stress. While other people may say otherwise, it was a pleasure doing business with Howard. He sells a custom made product, and has list of customers, so don't expect next day delivery. I will be getting the new front end and rear shocks installed next month, and will have a report.

As a side note, I have an FXDLS, and in my report, I will give a seat of the pants difference between Howards and the stock suspension. Howard set-up my front-end on the stiff side, as I am going to be going to the track with my Dyna and like to travel at high speeds.

Dave

Old 12-31-2018, 09:38 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I agree with the sentiment about Howard. I've had him do both ends of my Dyna with Ohlins and both required custom work. Ohlins didn't offer anything that fit my requirements so Howard made it work from their parts. The cost wasn't insignificant but the customer service and quality of work on top of the Ohlins technology makes the combined package quite a value in my opinion. I'll be having him build a upgraded rear shock set in the coming months just because I underestimated the value of having adjustable units the first time around.

That said, if Tall Timber recommends Pro-Action, I wouldn't take it lightly. He puts serious miles on his bikes and clearly appreciates a quality part.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: looking for cadillac smooth performance - FXDL 2014