Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   2009 HD FXD Super Glide Ignition Switch (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/1265798-2009-hd-fxd-super-glide-ignition-switch.html)

itsTHATnick 12-30-2018 02:56 PM

2009 HD FXD Super Glide Ignition Switch

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...ba93e4e61a.jpg
The torn up hammered lock that no longer functions
Hey. I was wondering if anybody could provide some sort of help for my current issue. Someone attempted to hammer in the lock for my ignition/fork lock and now a key will not turn it at all. I have been trying to figure out how to get the entire piece out but have been unsuccessful on the Headstock version of this. Everything I find either brushes over it with little instruction, or has to do completely with a touring style top locking mechanism. I am unable to take the barrel out so if that is necessary then I guess I am S.O.L. Anything you can offer will help at this point.

Thanks,
Nick

misfitJason 12-30-2018 04:30 PM

You access it from under the frame neck. There is a plastic piece covering it and can be accessed easier by lifting up the tank or removing it.

itsTHATnick 12-30-2018 04:40 PM

I got up into there, and I found the plastic retaining block that was right below the fork. It was flopping around in there but I could not get it out. It felt like it was still stuck on something.

Also, do you have any idea of what the actual barrel would be called or maybe a part number for it. I am afraid that barrel surround is going to get damaged when the lock gets drilled out.

fskitch 12-30-2018 04:43 PM

Stick the ends of some needle nose pliers in 2 of the 4 holes in that switch and turn CLOCKWISE to back out that ring. Then push the switch through and access like misfitjason says above.

itsTHATnick 12-30-2018 04:45 PM

Yeah, I did that. It just felt like there was something inside of it that was still holding it somewhere. The whole thing did not just casually come out like I feel should have happened and I am wondering if that has to do with the vandals attempts at hammering that lock.

I disconnected the fuel line, unbolted the tank, backed it off about 4 inches, then pulled off the plastic cover, the front plastic clip, and spun that locking ring in. It was practically flopping around, but would not pass a certain point.

DTTJGlide 12-30-2018 05:16 PM

Ignition switch part # 71559-06C $114.26 & retaining nut 71555-06 $4.31, you need to give your key code when ordering & I don't think you can order online as you need to show proof of ownership.

itsTHATnick 12-30-2018 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide (Post 17924838)
Ignition switch part # 71559-06C $114.26 & retaining nut 71555-06 $4.31, you need to give your key code when ordering & I don't think you can order online as you need to show proof of ownership.

Thank you very much. Do you think it would be possible to just get that surround? Since the lock is already destroyed and I hated the location anyways, I was going to retrofit a dash ignition switch and just put a fork lock back in the headstock. My only concern is damage to that barrel surround.

fxdup 12-30-2018 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by itsTHATnick (Post 17924850)
Thank you very much. Do you think it would be possible to just get that surround? Since the lock is already destroyed and I hated the location anyways, I was going to retrofit a dash ignition switch and just put a fork lock back in the headstock. My only concern is damage to that barrel surround.

Order a new lock assy with your key code but for a Wide Glide. Then move your ignition to the dash console.

misfitJason 12-30-2018 07:56 PM

In you picture you still have the ring on it (the thing with four circles). You have to unscrew that before wit will come out

itsTHATnick 12-30-2018 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by misfitJason (Post 17925188)
In you picture you still have the ring on it (the thing with four circles). You have to unscrew that before wit will come out

That ring does not come off. If you loosen it off of the ignition, then it tightens to the hole. If you tighten it to the ignition, then it loosens in the hole. I won't be able to remove it until the entire thing is out.