Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, Club Style Dyna

Old 01-04-2019, 03:45 AM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Help, Club Style Dyna

So i have decided that i am going to rebuild my bike club style, which i wish now that I had done from the beginning.
I have a few questions. What is a good height for a club style rear shock. I see guys going as high as 15" or even 15.5. If you go 15" do you have to get longer fork tubes to level the bike out or are stock long enough. I wouldnt think they would be but I'm still learning. I had bought my bike from a guy that had laid it down. I had to break down and rebuild my entire front end. I debated doing dual discs right off the bat but I passed which I am totally regretting now. Can anybody recommend a really good master cylinder to run duals? I'm also going to do a two into one exhaust race pipe. I'm going to hold off doing a chain conversion for now though. I don't plan on wheeling my bike so I don't think I need it quite yet. Is there any other tips anybody can give from learned experience before I tear into my bike? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Here is my bike now. I have quite a bit of work ahead. Need mags, duals, need to put my mid glide trees back on, new risers and bars, a farring, new seat rear suspension. I have emulators up front already . New exhaust. I am going to trade and buy as many used parts as possible

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (01-05-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 09:56 AM
CryingJoker
Road Master
Received 238 Likes on 140 Posts

I have 14" shocks on the rear and a 2 over front end keeping it level. I'll be honest 15" is beyond overkill and you better have some long legs. Had 13.5" burly stilettos on before and it was a great height. My opinion is 13 to 13.5 and you'll be fine with stock front height. Also on the master cylinder I'd just find one from a newer low rider with dual fronts and call it a wrap. Try to keep it simple. Hope this helps a little. Any other help I'll try to help.

Mine with 2 over fronts and 14" rear.

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (01-05-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 11:39 AM
MMH
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by CryingJoker
I have 14" shocks on the rear and a 2 over front end keeping it level. I'll be honest 15" is beyond overkill and you better have some long legs. Had 13.5" burly stilettos on before and it was a great height. My opinion is 13 to 13.5 and you'll be fine with stock front height. Also on the master cylinder I'd just find one from a newer low rider with dual fronts and call it a wrap. Try to keep it simple. Hope this helps a little. Any other help I'll try to help.

Mine with 2 over fronts and 14" rear.
I was thinking about going to 13.5, but looking at your bike (which has a 14" shock), I am beginning to think about 13". I am trying to get my street bob to handle better. Do you think 13" would be enough? The stock shock is 12" and the bike is way too low and has less than a inch of travel.

BTW, what kind of shock are you running?

Old 01-04-2019, 11:56 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 726 Likes on 559 Posts

With longer shocks you may want to look in to a 1" fork tube extension to get a more balanced bike that keeps the trail. Also, the longer shocks may require a longer kick stand. I think a must for the club style requires a T-sport fairing painted to match the bike.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:06 PM
CryingJoker
Road Master
Received 238 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by MMH
I was thinking about going to 13.5, but looking at your bike (which has a 14" shock), I am beginning to think about 13". I am trying to get my street bob to handle better. Do you think 13" would be enough? The stock shock is 12" and the bike is way too low and has less than a inch of travel.

BTW, what kind of shock are you running?
a 13" shock can suffice as long as you get a quality shock with good travel. I'm running rwd rear shocks and race tech internal fronts with preload adjusters. I do have a longer kick stand as well. If I wasn't building this bike as overkill on some aspect I probably would've done 13" shocks.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:23 PM
Chad1200
Road Master
Received 250 Likes on 159 Posts

I didn't want anything too radical on my FXDB and I didn't plan on changing the fork tube springs, so, I went with 12.6" Progressive Suspension 412 rear shocks which are the same length as the OEM FXD shock and it was a huge improvement. Just find a length that works for your height and weight.

Last edited by Chad1200; 01-04-2019 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:29 PM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Adjustable 13" shock, is all you need. I run the drag specialties adjustable shock, set at 12.5, forks are stock except progressive HD springs, handles real well.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:04 PM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 656 Likes on 383 Posts

Use the master off of a Fat Bob. Mine works great and was only $125 @ the dealer.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:04 PM
Bob_fxdb
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Are you building for the sake of the look/style, or you looking for performance?

What kind of bars are you thinking on getting? Mx style with 7/8" or regular HD 1" bar? Bar clamp, 1" clamp, 7/8" clamp or 1 -1/8" clamp? Then you can start thinking on regular HD or non HD brand master cylinder. (Why not do a proper upgrading while you at it, right?). If you want HD, I would look at the brembos from touring or vrod. You can also get shims to fit your oem controls on a 7/8 bar. And since you need to get new dual rotors as well, why not upgrading them to some better ones as well?

13" vs 13,5" shocks. I think 13,5 wins for the look and performance if you can handle the height. With 13" the rear fender/struts dont quite get over the rear wheel, but the 13,5 does. Visually, that makes the raised look even more noticeable and stronger. Performance wise, of course the taller shocks gives more clearance and handles better.

For the front, if you raise that to match the rear, you will then have the same ergonomi as stock. Honestly, I dont know if thats good or bad. On my bike I have 13,5 rear and stock height in front with cartridge inside. Ive only tried this height ratio, and of course stock, and Im happy with it. If you want longer travel, thats another discussion. FYI, you wont get longer travel with those +1" or +2" fork tube extensions, or 2" over stock tubes. You need to change the rod inside the fork to archive that.

Your seat have to go... the same with that dick shaped rear light... Then you pretty much have a good base for a club style I guess

Old 01-05-2019, 01:08 AM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I am looking to build my bike for preformance. I wasn't tryin imply that i am going to run 15" rears. I am just stating that i see a lot of guys go 15" or 15.". I am 6'1 but my inseem is only 31" so 15" probably would be too high for me. I just want to raise my bike because i find my pegs scarping often when i hit the switch backs.
i appreciate all the advice.
As far as my fork legs i can just source just the rightside slider off of a lowrider, correct? It should match my fxdb left leg, correct?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help, Club Style Dyna