Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   install cost gear drive cams & bearings on Twin Cam? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/1266541-install-cost-gear-drive-cams-and-bearings-on-twin-cam.html)

AJ88V 01-06-2019 08:08 AM

install cost gear drive cams & bearings on Twin Cam?

Thinking about installing the S&S gear drive setup and wondering how much to get the gear cams & bearings installed on my Twin Cam 88.

I'd usually do my own work, but it looks like I'd need to buy the bearing puller and installer ( for $93) - something I'll probably only use once in my life.

Not sure, but I might also need this for another for another $93. (please comment if I do or do not need this in addition to the other tool)

So what kind of prices did folks pay to get this stuff installed? Independent vs. HD dealer service?

Thanks!

brownie4412 01-06-2019 10:44 AM

You’ll have close to $1,000 in parts. Are you getting adjustable pushrods? Most dealerships get $100-$150 an hour plus tax, shop fees etc. I don’t know how many hours they charge for it, but you should be able to get in the ballpark with those figures. If you’re confident you can do the job I would just buy the tool. You’ll save a ton of money, and you should be able to resell the tool for pretty close to what you paid for it.

AJ88V 01-06-2019 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by brownie4412 (Post 17939798)
You’ll have close to $1,000 in parts. Are you getting adjustable pushrods? Most dealerships get $100-$150 an hour plus tax, shop fees etc. I don’t know how many hours they charge for it, but you should be able to get in the ballpark with those figures. If you’re confident you can do the job I would just buy the tool. You’ll save a ton of money, and you should be able to resell the tool for pretty close to what you paid for it.

Thanks, Brownie. I was figuring it's about a two hour job from what I can see, so at $100 and hour, the costs of the tools kind of pays for the installation, and I get the benefits of having it done by someone who has probably done it before and they're responsible for the work. Plus I make a new relationship.

On the other hand, if I do the work myself, I'll know the bearings were replaced instead of just being told they were. ;)

brownie4412 01-06-2019 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by AJ88V (Post 17939817)
Thanks, Brownie. I was figuring it's about a two hour job from what I can see, so at $100 and hour, the costs of the tools kind of pays for the installation, and I get the benefits of having it done by someone who has probably done it before and they're responsible for the work. Plus I make a new relationship.

On the other hand, if I do the work myself, I'll know the bearings were replaced instead of just being told they were. ;)

I think 2 hours is wishful thinking. I would think 4-5 is what they would charge. Remember, it's flat rate. He may get it done in 2 hours but that's not what your invoice will say. That's the name of the game. Do you plan on getting it tuned afterwards? $$$$$ adds up quickly.

ROCKOUT Rocker Products 01-06-2019 11:19 AM

Keep in mind it's not just the time installing the cams. Hell I can spend 2 hours just to R&R the exhaust :)

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Screamin beagle 01-06-2019 11:35 AM

You'll need to check your crank runout to see if you can even run gear driven cams...anything beyond .003 and you're looking for a disaster down the road. Why do you want gear drives? If bike has the spring tensioners it's cheaper to do the conversion to hydraulic than gear drive. You could just change out the cam shoes to cyco brand and not have to worry about it again for another 30k...cheap option that you could do yourself for around 200 bucks or so. If you buy the puller resell it or keep it...who doesnt like more tools? You'll save money by buying the tools and doing it yourself...dealerships are expensive. You might even find someone here to loan it to you. I have one but it sounds like you have the earlier twin cam, my tool is for the later model.

AJ88V 01-06-2019 01:07 PM

Hate to say it after all the energy I've put into this bike, but the chain tensioners worry me and I'm thinking it might be best just to get a new bike.

OPTION 1: $100 in parts to change the shoes - my labor - leaves me with suspect bearings and no performance gain

OPTION 2: Change the shoes ($100), cams and bearings (($270), adjustable push rods ($80), buy the tool ($100 - $200) = $550 to $650. Not bad. Get a performance boost. I can tune the carb just fine, thank you.

OPTION 3: Assume my crank runout is acceptable and install the gear drive cam kit S&S 510G ($570), adj. push rods ($80), buy the tool ($100 - $200) = $750 to $850 (maybe more to pay someone else to install)

Option 1 and I have the same bike and can just enjoy it the way it is for another 20-30K miles and pray the bearings are good.

Options 2 and 3 will demand I buy the exhaust I want, so that adds $700 minimum, but would be a pretty sweet setup, but means I just threw $1500 into a 16 year old Dyna that I've already got maybe $5800 "invested" getting it the way I want it.

OPTION 4: Sell the '03 Dyna for $5K in the spring to pay for a later model Dyna this winter (say $7 - $10K for a 2007 or later)

OPTION 5: There's a great 2018 Road Glide for sale locally.LOL!

cggorman 01-06-2019 01:17 PM

Gotta have a clear vision. I've got 3x-4x the book value of my bike invested SO FAR (not counting the bike itself) and have another $5k or so planned. Rapidly approaching '19 FXDR money...and no regrets.

Would that new bike be EXACTLY what you want as purchased? If not, don't forget to add the cost of anticipated mods.

F86 01-06-2019 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by AJ88V (Post 17939463)
Thinking about installing the S&S gear drive setup and wondering how much to get the gear cams & bearings installed on my Twin Cam 88.

I'd usually do my own work, but it looks like I'd need to buy the bearing puller and installer (Heartland kit for $93) - something I'll probably only use once in my life.

Not sure, but I might also need this for another cam support plate bearing tool for another $93. (please comment if I do or do not need this in addition to the other tool)

So what kind of prices did folks pay to get this stuff installed? Independent vs. HD dealer service?

Thanks!

AJ, I've basically done everything that you mentioned (and more), also on an 88" motor (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-my-motor.html). I had previously done some similar work (but decades earlier), but definitely not all of it. I bought each tool that was required, read the FSM carefully, watched lots of videos, and asked a million questions here. It worked out just fine. My whole engine build took a number of months, but there was trial and error involved, a busy work schedule, short windows of late-night time, bone-headed mistakes, and waiting time (powdercoating, headwork, etc.). I really wanted to do it myself, and I'm glad I did. Whenever I work on something myself, the mechanical operation of that area is constantly present in my mind while I use the equipment. I really enjoy that. If I ever have the need or desire to rebuild the cam chest again, I'm sure I could do it in a weekend. Probably in one Sunday, if I had everything ready in terms of parts and room in the garage.

But cggorman's thoughts are worth paying attention to... I'm a little more than halfway to having the bike I REALLY want. It's been mostly rideable along the way, I love it, and I can't imagine enjoying a new (or newer) bike more. Therefore it's all worth it. If you don't feel that way, than it wouldn't be...

Only you know the answer!

roadmutt 01-06-2019 02:14 PM

If you decide to tackle this yourself, I have the Heartland inner bearing puller/installer tool and the support plate to press in the new cams (did it with a large C clamp). These are for the early twin cams. Pay shipping back and forth and you can use them.

Also have two new B148 inner bearings, still in plastic. Bought a set separately and these came with the puller. You can have them, they’re just sitting in my toolbox.

PM me if interested.