Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDX Winter Suspension Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 06:37 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by F86
Next question (I'll have a million): Anyone have thoughts between OEM fork components vs. this kit from James Gaskets (or any other one out there)?

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/220...al-rebuild-kit

Not wondering about pricing differences, just quality/functionality. I've found in general that some specific gaskets are best from the MoCo, whereas others are better from Cometic or James. Having never done forks, I have no idea what the brand-of-choice is for this...

Thanks!
I've had some pretty bad luck with James fork seals, multiple times, many have leaked right off the bat. I only use Showa OEM now and have never had one leak. I'm subscribed to see your progress.

The following users liked this post:
F86 (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 09:22 AM
Triple_B_Dyna
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am really interested in this thread, I can't wait to see the suspension upgrade. Are you thinking of converting your gauges to LED? If so who are you planning on going with? I want to convert the instrument lighting on my FXDL to LED as well.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:04 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I've had some pretty bad luck with James fork seals, multiple times, many have leaked right off the bat. I only use Showa OEM now and have never had one leak. I'm subscribed to see your progress.
Thanks, Nomad! That's exactly the kind of input I was looking for. I assume OEM seals from HD are from Showa? I have all the individual pieces sitting in a shopping cart on the Ronnie's HD page now, just doing my research before hitting the "submit" button.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:10 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by F86
Thanks, Nomad! That's exactly the kind of input I was looking for. I assume OEM seals from HD are from Showa? I have all the individual pieces sitting in a shopping cart on the Ronnie's HD page now, just doing my research before hitting the "submit" button.
You are correct sir. OEM is Showa.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:52 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Triple_B_Dyna
I am really interested in this thread, I can't wait to see the suspension upgrade. Are you thinking of converting your gauges to LED? If so who are you planning on going with? I want to convert the instrument lighting on my FXDL to LED as well.
I'm about 75% sure that I'll do an LED conversion, but I'm still looking at stuff from Motogadget, Dakota Digital, Koso, etc. But there's something about each aftermarket item that just isn't quite how I would like it. And my intention wasn't to get too deep into rewiring the whole harness during this project either...

But realizing how ridiculously heavy stuff like this is makes me keep looking at other solutions... These pieces really should be aluminum!

If I go with the LED conversion, I've been looking into these shops:

https://zeescustomsinc.com/harley-davidson-gauge-mods/
http://www.bluegauges.com/motorcycle/harley.htm
http://harleygaugemods.com/
https://www.eyezongauges.com/

I'm all ears, if anyone has other recommendations. I don't dislike the OEM gauges, but I do wish there were some more trip computer type functions. But I do like the classic look of a pair of round dials, and I find them extremely readable. I think they would look fresher cleaned up well, with bright, even white LEDs lighting them up.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:28 PM
rbdub474
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 218 Posts

https://gaugemodz.com/

Awesome customer service and quick turn around.

The following users liked this post:
Lvrgsp (10-25-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 02:01 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rbdub474
https://gaugemodz.com/

Awesome customer service and quick turn around.

Thanks B, I did look at their page. Unfortunately they say they won't work on pre-2004 gauges, but maybe it's still worth giving them a call...

Old 01-11-2019, 07:03 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,810 Posts

Originally Posted by F86
...informed me that Ohlins makes a kit that includes rebound and compression pistons, with pre-assembled shim stacks which get installed inside the cartridge assembly. So that's the plan up front... Ohlins piston kit and springs ...
Tarik, when you get to these Ohlins Parts, don't gloss over it. I don't see any info on the Ohlins site for them and I want details

Last edited by multihdrdr; 01-11-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:06 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Tarik, when you get to these Ohlins Parts, don't gloss over it. I don't see any info on the Ohlins site for them and I want details
Definitely will post details when available!

You probably don't see them listed because they aren't specific to the FXDX. My understanding is that they're a universal 20mm piston kit for Showa cartridges used in a wide variety of applications (both inverted and conventional). On Howard's website (and YouTube), there are a pair of installation tutorials showing these pistons being installed in a Buell inverted fork. As I've been researching and looking for info, I've found a number of forum posts (elsewhere) referencing these same kits being used in a variety of late '90s to late '00s sportbikes.

From Motorcycle Metal (dot com):

Old 01-13-2019, 09:49 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

Not much to report today, except I made a tool to securely hold fork tubes in my vise. I looked online, but everything was over a hundred bucks and had some feature I really didn't like (the Jim's tool only holds tubes horizontally, the HD tool doesn't look like it would be secure in the vise vertically, etc.). This wasn't completely my idea, one of my Google results was labelled "Homemade Fork Holder" and had a picture of a wood clamp. But no detailed pictures or info. It was simple to make, though. I recommend this for anyone who wants to hold a fork tube vertically in their vise. I found everything I needed between Harbor Freight and Sears Hardware. I got a large wood clamp at HF for ten bucks, and cut a pair of "V" notches inside the jaws:

At Sears Hardware, I found a length of square steel stock, which I cut to length:

After mocking it up for bolt locations, a quick trip to my drill press...

Once bolted together, the steel will be what the vise grabs. I cut it to hang off the back of the clamp to allow some distance between the edge of my bench and the fork. HF had tool box liner for three bucks a roll, so that's what I used to line the "V" in the clamp. It's slightly grippy, and slightly padded. So far, 3M spray adhesive seems to be holding it well.

Trial run: The fork tube feels really solid and secure in the vise. I need to cut down the bolts or get three shorter ones. That's what I get for not measuring or bringing the clamp into Sears with me. Many thanks to whoever the unknown person is whose picture gave me the idea!

Quick Reply: FXDX Winter Suspension Project