Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDX Winter Suspension Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 09:14 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Can't disagree. I have to reread the tuning guides and diagrams every time I dig into a taper needle carb. Can't ever remember which parts of the needle and jets change.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:15 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Yup, still running the HSR42.

I'm definitely running a little rich right now... Several people behind me actually mentioned they could smell fuel here and there (but not oil). When my bike was dyno'ed, they actually mentioned that it was difficult to get as lean as they wanted in certain scenarios, partly because the tiny set screw that controls accelerator pump closing was missing. I've since sourced that screw from Jets R Us, but haven't yet installed it. I was actually hoping the larger capacity of my current air cleaner setup (installed since dyno tuning) might help my overall mixture, but it's definitely still rich (but not radically, based on reading my plugs which look pretty good). I'm hoping to schedule another dyno run in the next six weeks, but we'll see. Despite not being fully dialed in, I'm still surprised that my economy was 5 MPG better than usual while running at least 1500 RPM higher than usual.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:07 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,231 Likes on 3,611 Posts

Originally Posted by F86
Yup, still running the HSR42.

I'm definitely running a little rich right now... Several people behind me actually mentioned they could smell fuel here and there (but not oil). When my bike was dyno'ed, they actually mentioned that it was difficult to get as lean as they wanted in certain scenarios, partly because the tiny set screw that controls accelerator pump closing was missing. I've since sourced that screw from Jets R Us, but haven't yet installed it. I was actually hoping the larger capacity of my current air cleaner setup (installed since dyno tuning) might help my overall mixture, but it's definitely still rich (but not radically, based on reading my plugs which look pretty good). I'm hoping to schedule another dyno run in the next six weeks, but we'll see. Despite not being fully dialed in, I'm still surprised that my economy was 5 MPG better than usual while running at least 1500 RPM higher than usual.
If the accelerator pump limit screw is missing you will get too much fuel when using smaller throttle positions. Accelerator pump nozzle size and pump start can be adjusted. If running original HSR needle and needle jet you can go one needle leaner which does help on some bikes.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:11 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

That explains why I use (relatively) less fuel at higher RPM.

Old 08-18-2020, 09:50 AM
OneCrew
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Man, great post! how has your suspension held up, still doing its thing as supposed to?