Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Tuner for 2/1 exhaust? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/1267126-tuner-for-2-1-exhaust.html)

neverstockjp 01-10-2019 10:16 PM

Tuner for 2/1 exhaust?

Looking into switching exhaust on my SB I currently have V&H Short shots staggered and thinking of trying something different like Bassani RR3 or TBR. Got stage one done at dealership when I picked up bike but don’t Have a tuner just re map on computer. What are my options for tuner that will work good with any 2 into 1 exhaust . Any taught on FP3 ?

Notgrownup 01-11-2019 06:11 AM

Power commander 5 is what I have and 8 got mine with a canned map from Fuelmoto...their support is great...I also have E series 2in1 on mineand love it, the increase in ooomph is nice.

Boostedboxer04 01-11-2019 06:21 AM

TTS Master Tuner

Bob_fxdb 01-11-2019 06:33 AM

Power vision is the most powerful one... just sayin. And also you get access to tons of info from your bike

Boostedboxer04 01-11-2019 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_fxdb (Post 17951661)
Power vision is the most powerful one... just sayin. And also you get access to tons of info from your bike

"Most powerful'? How did you come to this conclusion? Like my recommendation, it's an option. Best advice for OP is talk to a reputable tuner.Ask what they recommend

Bob_fxdb 01-11-2019 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Boostedboxer04 (Post 17951708)
"Most powerful'? How did you come to this conclusion? Like my recommendation, it's an option. Best advice for OP is talk to a reputable tuner.Ask what they recommend

Well, you can do an auto tune on the fly and read diagnostics without a computer. You have a lot of gauges and also can read the bikes error codes. The interface is super easy and a lot more user friendly. No?

ThePaintPirate 01-11-2019 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_fxdb (Post 17951852)

Well, you can do an auto tune on the fly and read diagnostics without a computer. You have a lot of gauges and also can read the bikes error codes. The interface is super easy and a lot more user friendly. No?

There's a ton of options out there and everyone has their own flavor they like. Once people start talking tuners, it quickly turns into a "mine is better than yours because reasons" argument, just like Car Manufacturer #1 vs Manufacturer #2. OP just needs to think about how far he wants to go down the rabbit hole, and pick a solution that fits his budget and bike plan.

I'm on Team PV for my wants and needs.

Bob_fxdb 01-11-2019 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate (Post 17951883)
There's a ton of options out there and everyone has their own flavor they like. Once people start talking tuners, it quickly turns into a "mine is better than yours because reasons" argument, just like Car Manufacturer #1 vs Manufacturer #2. OP just needs to think about how far he wants to go down the rabbit hole, and pick a solution that fits his budget and bike plan.

I'm on Team PV for my wants and needs.

Right now they’re cheaper also.

ThePaintPirate 01-11-2019 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by neverstockjp (Post 17951377)
Looking into switching exhaust on my SB I currently have V&H Short shots staggered and thinking of trying something different like Bassani RR3 or TBR. Got stage one done at dealership when I picked up bike but don’t Have a tuner just re map on computer. What are my options for tuner that will work good with any 2 into 1 exhaust . Any taught on FP3 ?

If all you want to do is load a map from V&H, flash then go, the FP3 has a pretty cheap entry fee. It's a pretty popular tuner.

Andy from Sandy 01-11-2019 08:22 AM

What tuner do you have at present or have you not retuned after fitting the V&H pipes?

Ask V&H if they have a map for that exhaust. Ask any tuner company if they have a map for the exhaust you want to use.

neverstockjp 01-11-2019 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate (Post 17951910)
If all you want to do is load a map from V&H, flash then go, the FP3 has a pretty cheap entry fee. It's a pretty popular tuner.

forgot to mention that I won’t go any further than stage 1. After reading few replies I’m leaning toward FP3 it’s small and compact, can be installed inside battery case. as long as it’s compatible with non V&H exhaust?

Andy from Sandy 01-11-2019 08:26 AM

V&H may not have the actual named pipes but then you just select a map that is similar to the hardware fitted.

Then you do an auto tune. Then you do some test riding.

If you have a specific problem you upload the map to V&H describing said problem and they create a tweaked map that you can then install.

archergodwin 01-11-2019 08:28 AM

The one thing no one mentions... PC products all stay plugged into the system, and you have to find a spot for it... somewhere. Have read many posts of frustrated folks trying to find a space to locate it on a Dyna.

TTS Mastertune requires no module to stay plugged in on the bike. Connect, download your map, disconnect.

I'm sure lots of people have found a spot for their PCX without too much issue. Just saying, it's a thing you'll have to deal with, that's different between the two tuner types.

Andy from Sandy 01-11-2019 08:29 AM

The FP3 is a flash tuner and so can be removed from the bike.

It has some nice features though, so you may want to leave it on the bike to get the benefit of.

Boostedboxer04 01-11-2019 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_fxdb (Post 17951852)

More user friendly for the inexperienced guy, yes. Better, no

Bob_fxdb 01-11-2019 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Boostedboxer04 (Post 17951984)
More user friendly for the inexperienced guy, yes. Better, no

Which one is better then? And why

Boostedboxer04 01-11-2019 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_fxdb (Post 17952013)
Which one is better then? And why

This topic has been discussed extensively on these forums quite a few times .A quick search will give anyone all the info that they need to make their decision

Bob_fxdb 01-11-2019 09:01 AM

Yeah I know, just curious on why you said that PV is more user friendly for the inexperienced and not better...

streetjoebob 01-11-2019 12:27 PM

2014 Street Bob: Arlen Ness Stage 1 Big Air, Thrashin Supply Exhaust 2-1, V&H FP3 Tuner...

That is my set up. I keep the tuner plugged in, and it stays inside the compartment where it plugs into. Basically resting under the middle of your seat.
I have my tune set up to Standard 2-1 Exhaust + Stage 1 Air Cleaner and going through auto tune, which can take some time. It is recommended to go through several tanks of gas which includes riding on the highway, riding in the city or populated places...etc etc. (You will notice your autotune is working when the squares are turning green)
I initially began with using a tune designed for a Python exhaust...which I noticed because someone else was riding a Street Bob with the same exhaust and air cleaner, but sounded completely different than mine...so I did some research, and realized I was using the wrong "canned" tune (map).

***Also, you can ride your bike without running autotune, using just a regular tune is just fine for daily riding***

I really like the tuner because it connects via bluetooth to your smart phone and has a simple user interface, however, one down side is that you need to be quick with tuning because it will drain your battery.
With the tuner, I was able to also identify all my error codes, and eliminate the annoying exhaust popping; which is a feature on the tuner.

So there it is, my input on the FP3, I have never used another motorcycle tuner.

Andy from Sandy 01-11-2019 01:42 PM

one down side is that you need to be quick with tuning because it will drain your battery.

On the phone I am assuming you are referring to?

Good to see what is going on but I believe it is not strictly necessary. So you could have your phone off and then check how the tune is doing from time to time. In the same way you can turn the bike off and come back and resume auto tune another day.

splattttttt 01-11-2019 05:54 PM

Vance and hynes has been around for a very long time
And became very well known for their sucsess in racing
they are smart peiple and they build great products
And their fp3 is one of theirt great example

streetjoebob 01-11-2019 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy (Post 17952821)
On the phone I am assuming you are referring to?

Good to see what is going on but I believe it is not strictly necessary. So you could have your phone off and then check how the tune is doing from time to time. In the same way you can turn the bike off and come back and resume auto tune another day.

my bad, i meant the FP3 will drain your motorcycle battery.

ludville1 01-11-2019 08:15 PM

I have the stock 103 HO intake vented to atmosphere with a K&N air filter, Cobra RPT 2 into 1 exhaust and a FP3 tuner. Downloading maps is really easy, and you can Autotune if you want to. V&H customer support is good also. Bike sounds and runs strong.

Nitrochicken 01-11-2019 09:07 PM

TTS and a good dyno tune. DONE

waterfordhunter 01-12-2019 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy (Post 17951963)
V&H may not have the actual named pipes but then you just select a map that is similar to the hardware fitted.

Then you do an auto tune. Then you do some test riding.

If you have a specific problem you upload the map to V&H describing said problem and they create a tweaked map that you can then install.

What he said.

Bob_fxdb 01-13-2019 02:33 AM

If youre not planing on doing any further upgrades, why not drop a tuner and just do a proper dyno tuning? Tuning people will just use PV or TTS or similar tuners to flash your ecu, and you dont need to have any tuning box on your bike, and of course spend that extra money on a box that you dont plan to use when all of the tuner prosess is done. It is recommended to dyno tune no matter any ways, right?

Mark Faulkner 01-13-2019 06:05 AM

I have the FP3 on my Low Rider S with RSD Slant Pipe. It's easy to use and does the job fine. If you're not planning on going further than Stage 1, paying more for features you'll probably never use doesn't seem worth it.

splattttttt 01-13-2019 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by streetjoebob (Post 17953561)

I haven’t noticed any discharge issues with it on my wifes bike.
During colder temps, the bike will sit for as long as two weeks with out riding it. Longer than and I plug a trickle to it.
In fact, the app only functions if I turn it on from the phone.
only reason I leave it on the bike is that its a cross bones. And getting the seat iff to uncover the battery requires tools.

splattttttt 01-13-2019 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Faulkner (Post 17956299)
I have the FP3 on my Low Rider S with RSD Slant Pipe. It's easy to use and does the job fine. If you're not planning on going further than Stage 1, paying more for features you'll probably never use doesn't seem worth it.

I think now the fp3 is useful beyon a stage1
I know for a fact it will isolate cam options.
After that, I don’t know tho

splattttttt 01-13-2019 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_fxdb (Post 17956206)
If youre not planing on doing any further upgrades, why not drop a tuner and just do a proper dyno tuning? Tuning people will just use PV or TTS or similar tuners to flash your ecu, and you dont need to have any tuning box on your bike, and of course spend that extra money on a box that you dont plan to use when all of the tuner prosess is done. It is recommended to dyno tune no matter any ways, right?

if you’re ginna forego a tuner and have your bike dynoed. You will only have to do this when ever you make changes to engine mods. That includes air cleqners and pipes. So yeah. I would rather have a tuner. On my 2014 I changed exhaust 3 times and air cleaners twice.
Do an auto tune and done. No appointmentments and ir $400 dyno fee each time

Bob_fxdb 01-13-2019 06:52 AM

YEah but you cant compare a regular auto tune with proper dyno tune... the tune that you get wont be as good. Of course a proper tuner is worth the money in my mind, i own a pv, but a good dyno tune to add on the tuner is the best combination. In the OP's situation, he said that he wont do anything after the 2-1 exhaust, so why have a tuner on his bike, or in his drawer or what not, and not actually use it for what it is worth? So thats why i suggested to do a dyno tune.

It may be not the best solution for everybody, but for someone it may be the most convenient and cheapest option. I always think about engine upgrades and like to test out parts, so it is good to have a pv to be able to tune and tweak the numbers. Good thing about the pv is that I can read the data also and monitor the engine.

kcfocust 01-14-2019 02:08 PM

I have the FP3 as well. My bike came with short shots and had a horrible decel pop. V&H Exhaust made it easy to tune it correctly to what I have.

Flash forward and now I'm running Samson Street Sweepers. While not in the Manufacturer Maps, I ended up running the V&H Big Shots map on it. V&H said to run it a tank or two and if I needed adjustment to do the auto tune. Bike runs great as is so I have not auto tuned. Once I change the baffles out, that might change.

crusader1xxx 01-14-2019 08:03 PM

I run the power vision on both my dyna’s and found it very easy to use, easy to read and the fact I can check and clear codes is a real bonus. I also love the fact you can watch it in real time and see what your motor is doing.

I have no experience with the FP3 but have heard good and bad about it...not sure if the bad is the unit itself or the operator but a google search will tell you...

neverstockjp 01-15-2019 08:34 PM

looks like I’ll be getting the FP3 V&H because it’s small and can be tucked away easily. Power vision is probably the cats a$$ but as I mentioned before I won’t be going further than stage one anyway. I already relocated my speedometer on handlebar and I don’t wants more screen mounted on bars it looks to busy for my liking. And last but not least thanks everyone who contributed to this post I really appreciate everybody honest opinion.
time to order tuner and pipes now!
JP

Notgrownup 01-16-2019 07:03 AM

Me as long as the unit is not married to the bike and you can take to another if you trade, that is what counts. Started with a Power Commander 3 and then won a Power Commander 5 and auto tune...Got rid of the auto tune....I run a proven map to match my Fuelmoto pipes that they provided.

Bob_fxdb 01-20-2019 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by neverstockjp (Post 17963002)
looks like I’ll be getting the FP3 V&H because it’s small and can be tucked away easily. Power vision is probably the cats a$$ but as I mentioned before I won’t be going further than stage one anyway. I already relocated my speedometer on handlebar and I don’t wants more screen mounted on bars it looks to busy for my liking. And last but not least thanks everyone who contributed to this post I really appreciate everybody honest opinion.
time to order tuner and pipes now!
JP

Good for you, but just a fyi, pv and fp3 cost the same new, 399, and you dont need to have the pv connected. I dont know if the fp3 have to be connected all the time. You for sure will get more money worth of one of them.

Andy from Sandy 01-21-2019 02:44 AM

The FP3 can be removed after it has been used to download the map.

It has some features though for showing outputs from the different sensors and trouble codes.

On my bike I am able to tuck it between the battery and ECU so I have left it connected.

Andy from Sandy 01-21-2019 02:55 AM

With all tuners there will be times when it needs to be used with the engine stopped to apply a tune to the ecu. So long as you don't have the ignition on for longer than is necessary you will be fine with any tuner.

It is unfortunate that the lights cannot be turned off to conserve the battery.

splattttttt 01-21-2019 07:35 AM

I never noticed the fp3 lights on with my wife’s xbones while the ignition was in the iff oosition.
I was always under the impression the app was how it turned on an off despite of it being hooked up.
An fp3 marries to a vin number so keeping it in the bike’s a good idea. Never worry about loosing it. And when the bike is sold or stolen, its there with it

Andy from Sandy 01-21-2019 07:43 AM

I meant the bikes lights. lol. when do a map download.