Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just another brick in the wall, Dyna 124 build

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 09:57 AM
Lambda
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Just another brick in the wall, Dyna 124 build

We don't need no education, we don't need no thought control...

Hello to everyone,

I know that the build threads never gets old and its a fact that they're fun as hell, atleast for me, I remember a bunch of years ago that I was addicted to a build thread at hdforums and at that time I didn't even have a Harley, but not for long...

Long history short, I'm the happy owner of a European (I'm from Spain) 2007 Dyna Super Glide custom, I got it for an incredible price due to a old man that wasn't aware of how expensive the HDs are in spain (a 6k$ dyna in the USA is 15k$ in spain, just to say an example) and he sold it to me for a price way lower for what was in the market at the time, he got 3 strokes in a short timespan and her doctor prohibited him to ride anymore and to keep a healty and calm lifestyle, so he did.

This is the bike when I got her home, she sat for 7 years without being ridden, so the tires were shot and all of the fluids were screaming for a change, so that's the first thing I did.

She came with a really expensive windshield that I took when I got her on the truck and later sold it for about 400 bucks, hey, the bike just got 400$ cheaper! (Atleast that was I thought)

The first things I did to her was to swap fluids as I said, install a set of slip ons, a set of risers to put the bars closer to me, a tuner and paint the engine black, I couldn't stand that grey engine for longer.

She ran this way for a long time until the need for more power started to itch me, she got a FM 107 kit that evolved over time up to what it is today (details in my sig, atleast until the 124 build is done), with time I started to build her for the twisties, she got Ohlins in the front and rear, radial brembo calipers and a dual disc setup, along with this she got a new paint job, this is how she looks at the moment.

After all this time, I was thinking about going higher in the cubic inches department, the only option I had was to go from 107 to 110 which wouldn't be a huge improvement, so after saving some money and some support from my wife
I decided to go big, you know what they say, go big or go home.

The target was something big that I wouldn't need to build anymore in terms of power, the options were easy, 117 or 124, or why not the S&S T143? I didn't want to go home, just to go bigger. At the end I went with a 124 instead of a bigger engine mainly because I could have issues with the bi-anual bike inspections that are mandatory here in Spain, they test all the main aspects of the bike and along with that they take measurements of the exhaust to see if the co2 values are within a range based on the bike year, going bigger and bigger would mean more emissions and the risk of not passing the inspection anymore.

After that I started on planing the build, I wasn't looking for a crate engine as I know that I would spend more money than going directly with a custom built engine from the parts I wanted, I wasn't going to use the cases and the crank of the old 107 for two reasons, the first being that the world of harley performance in Spain is non-existant, there are no head porters, no way to rework a crank without having to send it to the USA, same thing with case boring, timken conversion, you get it.

Taking this in account the final choice was to go with a set of S&S cases and flywheel, which should provide a bulletproof bottom and then build the rest of the engine from there.

My current build configuration is as follows.
  • S&S 4-1/8 dyna cases along with the oil line kit for dynas.
  • S&S 4-5/8 flywheel
  • S&S 124" cylinders and pistons.
  • Woods TW-9BG or TW-9FG gear drive cams.
  • CVO 110 raised port heads done by Dan Vance, aiming for 11.5 comp
  • Fuel Moto Dyna E-Series exhaust, the other option was the boarzilla but I'm tired of loud pipes, the boarzilla would be even more deafening than my current Pro Pipe at 10.8 comp and I wasn't going to go that route again.
  • S&S TC3 cam plate and oil pump.
  • S&S forged roller rockers.
  • Vulcan billet rocker support plate.
  • S&S quickie pushrods.
I will build the engine to have the aspect of a Stock Twin Cam for the sleeper looks, right now i'm waiting for the majority of the parts to arrive, I buy them at the USA since buying them in Spain is like twice the price, so its slower but cheaper to buy them at the states, besides there are things like head porting that I would have no choice but to import them.

Will update the thread as long as parts starts to arrive and the build is going on, hopefully you guys will like it.

Last edited by Lambda; 01-12-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:15 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 803 Posts

Very nice. I hope you enjoy it, but I bet that in a year or so you'll find that you were wrong, it's not "done."

Old 01-12-2019, 10:40 AM
Bob_fxdb
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Awesome thread! Why not the S&S T124 engine? They still have the sleeper look, only the s&s logo on the heads and cam cover say it something else. At least for the untrained eyes. That can be an easy fix I guess? Reason for why I ask is because this engine is my goal together with a baker transmission. Im also from Europe, so upgrading the engine this big would be expensive and difficult to get approved by the government. Thats why I also want the sleeper look to not get noticed, and also an "easy" engine swap...

Old 01-12-2019, 10:45 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_fxdb
Awesome thread! Why not the S&S T124 engine? They still have the sleeper look, only the s&s logo on the heads and cam cover say it something else. At least for the untrained eyes. That can be an easy fix I guess? Reason for why I ask is because this engine is my goal together with a baker transmission. Im also from Europe, so upgrading the engine this big would be expensive and difficult to get approved by the government. Thats why I also want the sleeper look to not get noticed, and also an "easy" engine swap...
When you build an existing engine, you retain all the original factory numbers. (provided you retain the original crankcase) Putting in an entire new engine gives you new engine numbers, which makes it easy for the G to know what you've done.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:19 AM
Bob_fxdb
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Yes, thats true. In my country the process is in this order: if youre unlucky you can meet a random technical control driven by the government. If they get suspicious or if you have something on the bike that is illegal for road use(basically unoriginal parts like lighting, exhaust, placement of license plate and etc) you will have to get to their place to get a full check of your vehicle and a noice check. You get a deadline for this control, and its usually some weeks. Under these weeks you could change all your parts back to stock and meet up to get approved, and then changed back to your setup. It is of course not how it is meant to be, but its very common that people do that. You can also get pull over by the G, but they usually dont know that much about different upgrades and etc, but if they do, you will have to go on a full technical check.

Its easier to swap out a whole engine then rebuilding the original engine back to stock :P

Old 01-12-2019, 01:00 PM
fxdup
Road Warrior
Received 950 Likes on 605 Posts

WOW! Lot's of changes going on. Looks like you're enjoying yourself. Ride on!

Old 01-12-2019, 02:12 PM
Shop rag
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Hell yeah ! very nice !

Old 01-12-2019, 02:15 PM
Lambda
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_fxdb
Here in spain we have the same stuff about doing any change, basically making any change to any parts of the bike needs to be approved in order to keep the bike in a legal status, an example, i had to pay to get the ohlins, dual disc and the rest of the mods legal so I don't get sued by cops or the bike rejected at the bianual inspections, if for some reason you end in a cops controlling licenses and insurances and for some reason they think that your bike is too loud or something has been changed and not legalized, you can get in trouble, however, it's hard to tell if a HD motor has been tampered from the outside unless you're in the harley world and even then its not easy, on my case I'm using the SE heads on a non SE bike, if I get unlucky to met a cop in a control that knows that those heads doesn't belong to that bike then I might get some trouble but still they won't be able to do much unless they get the bike on a dyno.

When it comes down to the engine as long as you keep the look of a OEM HD twincam everything is fine, then you have the emissions and exhaust sound level test but with a lean map and the OEM mufflers you're done.

The main reason I didn't went the T124 route was because I would end up spending more money than by purchasing the parts on my own, besides, building an engine starting from the crankshaft is fun, I love tinkering with the bike as much as I love riding it also it would be my own engine in the sense that I built it and it wasn't a pre-made product.

Last edited by Lambda; 01-12-2019 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:37 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,620 Likes on 1,527 Posts
Old 01-12-2019, 06:32 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Good luck building "your" engine. Hope you don't get caught. Ride safe.

Quick Reply: Just another brick in the wall, Dyna 124 build