Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXR - which trans do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 06:52 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,919 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by theduroche
Yup it's starting to look that way. (I did subsequently find some threads on "tapered to splined upgrade" )
I'm starting to revisit my previously abandoned idea of using my entire 2001 FXDX drivetrain.
The 2001 stuff won't fit the older FXR frames, well not a direct bolt in anyway. Sawzall, welder and a lot of luck you could shoehorn it in maybe.

You need to get a clear, articulate idea of what you want out of the project , list what you have a available then post back in here. There's a solid knowledge base in here just a matter of sifting through to figure out who actually knows and listening to what they advise.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:40 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 246 Likes on 193 Posts

Wait..what? You are going to use your twin cam motor? Sorry, but it won’t fit. First there are no 4 speed transmissions that will bolt up to your twincam. And really anything you do find that will mount to the motor won’t mount to the frame...not with out some serious fabrication...

if you read Hot Bike mag, there was a series where an M8 power train was mounted into a FXR frame, but they had a full custom frame and swing arm made just for the project.

or...am I completely missing your point and you are buying an FXR that is just missing a transmission but has everything else including the EVO motor?

Old 01-13-2019, 11:47 PM
rbdub474
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by crusader1xxx
Wait..what? You are going to use your twin cam motor? Sorry, but it won’t fit. First there are no 4 speed transmissions that will bolt up to your twincam. And really anything you do find that will mount to the motor won’t mount to the frame...not with out some serious fabrication...

if you read Hot Bike mag, there was a series where an M8 power train was mounted into a FXR frame, but they had a full custom frame and swing arm made just for the project.

or...am I completely missing your point and you are buying an FXR that is just missing a transmission but has everything else including the EVO motor?
It’s not hard to fit a TC in a FXR frame. Lots out there, and I’ve helped put several together. You will need a primary from a touring bike and unless you want to butcher the frame, buy the right oil pan from San Diego Customs or the like.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:57 PM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

rbdub474, He'll need a touring tranny too won't he?

Old 01-14-2019, 12:05 AM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

San Diego customs used to make an oil pan for the Touring TC trans to fit the fxr frame without cutting any thing. Looks like its no longer listed on their site. What I'm doing in my fxr is using an Elbruto 127 evo and my stock 5spd, but giving the clutch a little help.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:22 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master

Originally Posted by rbdub474

It’s not hard to fit a TC in a FXR frame. Lots out there, and I’ve helped put several together. You will need a primary from a touring bike and unless you want to butcher the frame, buy the right oil pan from San Diego Customs or the like.
Love to see some pics...I know the stock FXR primary and the touring primary were pretty much the same, but your saying that a twin cam with a FL transmission will bolt right into an FRX frame with out mods to either the frame or the transmission? If that's the case wouldn't the OP be better off just finding a complete transmission from a wrecked bagger and use that with his motor? Then anything 99 to 2005 should work?

Old 01-14-2019, 06:44 PM
rbdub474
Road Master

Love to see some pics...I know the stock FXR primary and the touring primary were pretty much the same, but your saying that a twin cam with a FL transmission will bolt right into an FRX frame with out mods to either the frame or the transmission? If that's the case wouldn't the OP be better off just finding a complete transmission from a wrecked bagger and use that with his motor? Then anything 99 to 2005 should work?
The ones I’ve seen/helped with used a touring tranny. A couple had Baker internals. The only thing we changed to make it fit was the aftermarket pan. I can’t find any pics, but my brother is going to be doing another build for a client this spring. I’ll take pics and post a thread about the conversion.

The following users liked this post:
crusader1xxx (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 07:42 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master

It’s interesting as I always thought the twin cam was to tall to fit...but cool if it does...

Old 01-14-2019, 08:03 PM
rbdub474
Road Master

It’s interesting as I always thought the twin cam was to tall to fit...but cool if it does...
This is a friends TC FXR. No frame cutting.

The following users liked this post:
crusader1xxx (01-15-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 09:25 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,664 Likes on 6,679 Posts

A FXR never came with a 4 speed transmission. 5 speed only. That being said the late style with the splined shaft is the best setup. Run the late primary & Nippondenso gear reduction starter, too.

Quick Reply: FXR - which trans do you recommend?