Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Shock Lift Kits? Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 11:00 AM
tnichols
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear Shock Lift Kits? Any thoughts?

Does anyone have any experience with rear shock lift kits? I was thinking about them to increase my cornering clearance.

I would be interesting in hearing the good and the bad. Thanks.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:45 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

I don't see the logic for spending money to gain cornering clearance, while still using the crappy rear shocks with not much shock travel. Kill several birds at once and upgrade to longer premium shocks. Better comfort, handling and cornering all around.

The following users liked this post:
tnichols (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 12:53 PM
tnichols
Advanced

Originally Posted by nevil
I don't see the logic for spending money to gain cornering clearance, while still using the crappy rear shocks with not much shock travel. Kill several birds at once and upgrade to longer premium shocks. Better comfort, handling and cornering all around.
Good Point. Thanks...

Old 01-13-2019, 06:11 PM
brownie4412
HDF Community Team
Received 1,013 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by nevil
I agree, but my hunch is that not everyone has $800+ at any given moment to upgrade to “premium” shocks.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:46 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,811 Posts
Old 01-13-2019, 11:03 PM
DynaKid94
Road Warrior
Received 586 Likes on 333 Posts

I mean, I ran the Bung King one when I had just bought the bike. For the money it wasn't bad until I could afford to drop $500+ on a set of shocks, it did the job. If it's all you can afford at the moment, go for it. Better to start stashing that money away for a proper set of shocks and fork upgrades if you really want to improve handling.

The following users liked this post:
Jay Guild (01-22-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 12:26 AM
Tall Timber
Road Warrior
Received 425 Likes on 259 Posts

Going by your profile pic you have a Fat Bob. They have one of the lowest exhausts of the dyna range. Spend you cash there first getting a 2:1 that is higher clearance. As an added bonus you'll get more power and better sound.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:00 AM
tnichols
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tall Timber
Spend you cash there first getting a 2:1 that is higher clearance. As an added bonus you'll get more power and better sound.
I have been told that changing the exhaust / mufflers opens up a can of worms. You have to get a tuner, etc. Plus they tend to make the bike way too loud. I like how quite the stock pipes are. Are there any 2:1's that are as quiet as stock?

I am also not interested in additional power. The stock engine has enough for me. And if I want to go fast quickly, I will hop on my fire breathing 4 cylinder Kawasaki Ninja.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:14 PM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,025 Likes on 869 Posts

I agree the shocks on my Fatbob aren't too Bueno, but my Roadster was a different story. The factory shocks were great, I just wanted and extra 1 1/2" so I added the Bung King lift kit. It has worked well, and with some abuse. I ride the Roadster on many unimproved roads. This is all to say, if you want a "lift" without spending to much. The Bung King are a good choice.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:47 PM
kcfocust
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts

My wife's Sportster has the opposite way and lowers her bike down. We can't wait to get that one off. As for the raise kit, I have a set of FXDLS shocks I got on the cheap as a pseudo upgrade for now and was thinking about the lift kit and running it for a season. Let us know which way you go.

Quick Reply: Rear Shock Lift Kits? Any thoughts?