Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sputhe Rear Positrac Install - banjo fitting

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 08:18 AM
SJK01
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sputhe Rear Positrac Install - banjo fitting

Winter projects are in full swing, and yesterday I replaced the rear mount on my 2007 FXDWG & began installing the Sputhe Positrac. While attaching the upper stabilizer bracket on the right hand side of the bike, I can see that there won't be enough room for the wire harness coming of the banjo fitting for the rear brake switch. See the below picture (arrow is showing the place where it will hit):

Does anyone have any suggestions for this? I can maybe rotate the entire banjo fitting CCW, but the bent tubing section is going to hit the frame. I would rather not hack away at the bracket on the frame with a Dremel, but will if no other options are presented:

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

Regards,
SJK

Old 01-14-2019, 08:21 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 651 Posts

You can loosen the bolt and rotate itSputhe Rear Positrac Install - banjo fitting-photo685.jpg

Last edited by misfitJason; 01-14-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:00 AM
SJK01
Advanced

OK. I guess I hadn't really considered rotating that banjo fitting outward.

I'll break it loose tonight and see if I have enough length in the wires to go over the Sputhe.

Thanks,
SJK

Old 01-14-2019, 11:55 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

I'm not sure whether these pictures are helpful, but hopefully...

I have a rear Sputhe and didn't have trouble with the brake switch, but I have a Goodridge brake line, not OEM (although the switch works the same way). I didn't have any clearance issues, but the angle of the banjo fitting is different on the Goodridge. My kit looks basically like this:

Here are a few different angles installed:

Sorry if it doesn't quite show everything, these shots are what's sitting on my computer...

Old 01-14-2019, 07:58 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I don't have any good pics with me either but my Sputhe went in with the stock banjo and pressure switch. I dont remember any issues other than having to reroute the wiring. Shortly after fitting the Sputhe I also changed the brake line and switch to Goodridge Sniper II and their banjo switch. Very compact...

It's possible that I removed the line from the MC to install the Sputhe. I can't remember. Sorry.

The new switch actually has a boot over it now and the wires are sheathed but that's not pictured.

Last edited by cggorman; 01-14-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:52 PM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts

I have the True Track kit and it's a bear to get that bracket in there with almost no clearance on the brake line. I was able to get the bracket in, but it must be hit or miss.

As others have said, loosening the brake line should let you reposition it with the sensor clearing everything.

cggorman's 2nd pic definitely looks like an elegant solution.
Originally Posted by cggorman
The new switch actually has a boot over it now and the wires are sheathed but that's not pictured.
I must say that the machined finish on the True Track brackets sure looks nicer than the Sputhe brackets, but I'm sure the function is the same.

But maybe I should have sent mine out for chroming anyway.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:11 PM
SJK01
Advanced

Thanks for all the input (MisfitJason, cggorman, F86, AV88J). Busy night tonight, so this may sit until Thursday.

I wasn't planning on a rear brake line, but what cggorman showed is a very clean solution. I'll have to do some research...up to this point, I have only really researched Magnum cables.

Regards,
SJK

Old 01-15-2019, 01:49 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

The banjo switch would work with any line kit but it does require changing electrical connectors. No big deal, but not everybody is willing to do electrical work. The Goodridge has generic spade connectors, IIRC.

The Sniper lines are all DIY. Buy the fittings and lines separate, cut to length, and assemble. Takes a little practice but not difficult once you get the hang of it. The fittings are re-usable but the 1/2" or so of line inserted into the fitting is single use. Just snip off the used bit and try again.

I've got lots more pics of those if you need.