Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on what is next for a non mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 08:54 AM
DFP
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice on what is next for a non mechanic

Ok, so last summer I bought a 2009 FXDX. The previous owner added a Stage 2 big bore kit, a Samson Thunder Pro III 2 into 1 exhaust and a Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather. The bike has just a bit shy of 10,000 miles on it, about a thousand of which I put on during the 3 months I rode the bike. The 10,000 mile service was done this fall by my local indy, and according to him (who I have used for years) the bike is in excellent condition and there is no mechanical work that needs to be done. The bike runs fine, plenty of power, responsive and once I got used to the dual front calipers brakes well. There is more decel pop than I like, but that is a minor issue.

I have made some cosmetic changes - led lights, new grips, new seat, mini boards, and have just purchased some bags from another forum member. I am primarily a recreational rider who puts on a couple hundred mostly non highway miles a month. I am growing old and my peg scraping days are well behind me. As the snow flies here on the North Coast I am contemplating some performance based upgrades, and would like some advice from those more knowledgeable than I. So the question is, given what I have laid out, what would be your next step? I am thinking about new shocks, a FP3 tuner or maybe upgrading the brakes/rotors or some new rubber (the indy says the tires are fine, but they are getting a bit worn and I have always been squirrel-y about tires on my bikes). Any advice appreciated.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:17 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

You're asking about a new tuner. Do you already have a tuner installed? It seems that with a Stage 2 a tuner would have been a part of that upgrade.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:24 PM
robarosa
Road Master
Received 541 Likes on 383 Posts

Sounds like the PO has her all fix up for you. Replace those tires and wait for her to tell you what she wants. Maybe give her a tune.
hth

Old 01-15-2019, 12:37 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,595 Likes on 9,812 Posts

Put a turbo on it with a shot of NOS....

http://turboyourharley.com/

Last edited by Super Glidester; 01-15-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:53 PM
Monteman1971
Road Captain
Received 187 Likes on 125 Posts

Sounds like you already have a pretty nice set up.....maybe post a pic and we can critique it! lol

Steve

Old 01-15-2019, 12:55 PM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

Just ride it!

Old 01-15-2019, 01:36 PM
roadmutt
Supporter
Received 324 Likes on 149 Posts

[QUOTE=robarosa;17961926]Sounds like the PO has her all fix up for you. Replace those tires and wait for her to tell you what she wants. Maybe give her a tune.
^^^ This.

1000 miles is not all that much, so getting some more saddle time with fresh rubber is a good idea while your wallet finishes burning that hole in your pocket.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:08 PM
DFP
6th Gear

Originally Posted by nevil
You're asking about a new tuner. Do you already have a tuner installed? It seems that with a Stage 2 a tuner would have been a part of that upgrade.
Nope, no tuner installed. I am assuming that the previous owner had it tuned/dyno'd after he did the upgrades because the bike runs very well. A buddy at work sings the praises of the FP3, but I am kinda concerned about screwing up the way the bike runs because my mechanical knowledge is pretty limited to gas in the tank, air in the tires and pads on the rotors.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:10 PM
DFP
6th Gear
Talking

[QUOTE=roadmutt;17962084]
Originally Posted by robarosa
Sounds like the PO has her all fix up for you. Replace those tires and wait for her to tell you what she wants. Maybe give her a tune.
^^^ This.

1000 miles is not all that much, so getting some more saddle time with fresh rubber is a good idea while your wallet finishes burning that hole in your pocket.
Yeah, I told myself when I bought the bike that other than the obvious things I knew I would want, grips, seat, etc, that I would ride the bike for a full year before I did anything. But it is winter now and if I can't ride it I can at least spend money on it

Old 01-15-2019, 02:38 PM
roadmutt
Supporter
Received 324 Likes on 149 Posts

Heard that. A year's a long time to stay hands off. Just saying that, for instance, you might be thinking suspension upgrades when stock might be good enough with fresh tires. Your call, internet advice is worth every penny you pay for it.

Now as for winter farkles, full steam ahead.

Quick Reply: Advice on what is next for a non mechanic