Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TC88 Cam Chest DIY and Final Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 06:43 PM
roadmutt
Supporter
Received 324 Likes on 149 Posts

Good man. It’s just nuts and bolts.

Fun fact: when the timing marks on the pinion and cam gears are lined up, the rear cylinder lifters are on the base circle of the cam.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:33 PM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,013 Likes on 602 Posts

Originally Posted by briharley
I will be installing a baisley spring when I have mine apart. I'll check how the plunger is doing while I'm at it.

So, been getting new toys in the mail. SS509 cams came, SS premium lifters, cyco pads and gasket kit (has some stuff the cam kit is missing since I am going through the rockers), got the rockout rocker inserts, and also got studs/12 point nuts for the holes that like to strip for the cam plate. Waiting on inner bearing puller. Might order oil alignment pins and cam/crank locking tool. Understand I might not need them, but they are pretty cheap for piece of mind.

Going to drill oil drain holes when I'm in the rocker boxes. I guess most people just grease up a .125" big and drill them on the bike?

Also, dont have a factory manual but a buddy has one. Decided to look on ebay to see if I could find one just to have, but the cheap beat ones are still around 90 bucks. Found a guy selling the digital copies for 10 bucks. He ships you a CD with it on there, but also sends you a link to a digital download which I wasnt even expecting. Pretty cool. Will have to look at it on my phone or a tablet, but not that bad.

Did some reading through the manual, I think I got this.
A heavier spring is a band aid for a leaking seat....how are you going to check it?

Old 02-05-2019, 08:19 PM
briharley
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by roadmutt
Good man. It’s just nuts and bolts.

Fun fact: when the timing marks on the pinion and cam gears are lined up, the rear cylinder lifters are on the base circle of the cam.
Good info! The nuts and bolts portion doesnt worry me, its getting the bearings in correctly, making sure things are times correctly are where my hesitation lies lol.

Originally Posted by Blue Bob
A heavier spring is a band aid for a leaking seat....how are you going to check it?
I was going to make sure the plunger wasnt stuck, I believe that to be a common problem? I dont have any oil pressure issues that I know of, my light never turns on. Always read that if you have the cam plate off, especially if you are not doing the upgrade plate, to drop the baisley spring in there. I thought it was a somewhat common addition lol

Old 07-16-2019, 12:30 PM
briharley
Advanced

Finally got this done! Fired her up yesterday. Not a bad job, took some time being my first go through. IF anyone needs the cam bearing install tools, I am more than happy to rent them out for cheap. Made the inner cam bearings an easy job. Also have the cam gear locking tool and oil pump alignment pins that I could ship with it.

Only bummer is i did strip one of the cam COVER bolts, little bummed about that but found a longer bolt that seemed to grab well, although I didnt go to torque spec on it. Should be fine.

Installed the rocker lockers, and the basiley spring, still hear some clacking at mid rpm range, not sure what is going on there ( used stock pushrods so no adjustment there to be had).

My main concern now is if I need jets for the carb or not. The plugs were more white when I pulled them, so figured I would need some jets but apparently looking at the plugs isnt the best method these days?? Not really sure how to go about that. Supposedly my bike had the sportster needle installed by the PO when he put the K&N and T header on, but really not too sure. Any input?

Old 07-16-2019, 12:41 PM
briharley
Advanced

or how to tell if bike is too lean?

Old 01-18-2020, 06:54 AM
Skrapyeroc
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I need those tools! Is rental still an option?