Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TC88 Cam Chest DIY and Final Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 12:44 PM
briharley
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default TC88 Cam Chest DIY and Final Decisions

Hey gents,

Been off the forum for a little bit, havent been riding as much as I would like. Got my 03 FXD, had it for about 4 years, ever since I bought it I knew I would need to address the timing chain tensioners. Have checked them a few times, it really has gotten bad the last 1000 miles or so. That inner one is about to break.

Been probably over thinking this, but now its time to nail down what I want to do to fix this. My issue is very similar to these two recent threads:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-twin-cam.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...r-glide-8.html

Only difference, is I know for the most part what I want to do. Decided to just go budget route, it is a 16 year old bike now (but is an 03 that will be worth........less than 02 and 04 lol). So I want to do the cyco tensioners, already bought the baisley spring, thinking I want to drop some cams in while im in there. all bearings as well. Just makes sense. Maybe, maybe I will do a motor build someday but I really need to step up how much I ride before I think about doing that. Right now with just a t header and K/N filter, I'm not disappointed with it. Sure, new bikes have much more punch but its fine. If I can fix the tensioners cheap, throw some cams in, I bet I will be a happy camper.

Questions for you guys:
  1. Cams. really thinking the SS509 cam is the way to go. They do list it as a "touring"cam, and I know a lot of us dyna guys have a tendency to rev our motors out a little more, but idle to 4500 sounds pretty solid. Anyone like to chime in on the 509? SS website says they cant sell or ship to CA, but looks like it would ship from amazon.
    Amazon Amazon
    more recent threads of "best cam for stock 88" the ss509 and andrews 21 comes up a lot. I know they are considered the "baby cams", but seem like the best bet for a stock 88. Hillside pops up in a threads with both of those recommendations constantly, and I feel they know what they are talking about. It is just usually in touring/bagger threads, not so much dyna's.
  2. adjustable pushrods or re use stock: Is there any real benefit, other than saving time, of going adjustable? Threads I read, many have just taken the rocker covers off and done something with the breather? A metal one or something? I did some searching but couldnt find much on that.
  3. Is there a special tool to remove the push rod covers? A couple videos I came across online showed a special tool
  4. Lifters: some replace them, some dont. at 35k miles, what the move?
  5. Around christmas time I was super convinced I was going to have someone do it for me. did some more searching, and when I come across threads where someone says "if I can do it, anyone can" it really made me think I should tackle it. BIG QUESTION: Should I do this myself? been a gearhead my entire life, do lots of metal fab, have an solid tool collection, rebuilt the top end on dirt bikes, but havent really taken motors apart beyond that. I'll put a roll cage in anything, but taking a cam out of anything is a little out of the ordinary for me.
  6. I have access to the factory service manual (friend has it), plenty of youtube videos out there. I think I could do this. Downside is the couple specialty tools. I could drop 200 in tools no questions for the inner puller/installer and cam plate bearing tool. If the labor was around 500 to have someone do it, and I have to buy 200 in tools, i am really only saving 300 and if it takes mew 20 hours to do (I do work slow when Im new at something) it may not be worth it. Does anywhere rent the tools, or anyone on here want to rent them out?
TLDR: Basically, is the 509 cam a good choice, adjustable push rods or not, special tool for the push rod covers, do I need new lifters (if so which ones), should I do it myself, and can I rent the tools (lol).

Thanks guys!

Brian

Last edited by briharley; 01-19-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:34 PM
brownie4412
HDF Community Team
Received 1,013 Likes on 589 Posts

Find out what cam you want buy the tools and do it yourself. If you've worked on dirt bike engines your whole life and have metal fab experience ( not that it's related to taking apart a Harley ) i'm sure you can handle it. Adjustable pushrods are worth the money but with a mild cam you shouldn't need them. Tensioners go out whenever they feel like it, there's really no rhyme or reason. I've read posts with guys claiming 100k on factory pads. Mine were right on the hairy edge at 39k. It takes 10 minutes to remove the cam cover and take a look, i do it every oil change. If your stock lifters are still in good shape you shouldn't have a problem reusing them. What's your tuning situation? That will have as big an impact as anything.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:05 PM
roadmutt
Supporter
Received 324 Likes on 149 Posts

If you’re not planning on any other engine mods, 509 is a great cam. Not a tire shredder but more usable torque and makes the 88 a lot more fun.

Inner cam bearings and new lifters are cheap insurance. I used Feuling but most go with S&S.

I reused solid pushrods since I pulled the rockers to upgrade to the new style breathers. I think you already have them on your 03.

New Cyco shoes are the cost effective fix. Absolutely DIY.

Lots of threads, dig in.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:31 PM
briharley
Advanced

Originally Posted by brownie4412
Find out what cam you want buy the tools and do it yourself. If you've worked on dirt bike engines your whole life and have metal fab experience ( not that it's related to taking apart a Harley ) i'm sure you can handle it. Adjustable pushrods are worth the money but with a mild cam you shouldn't need them. Tensioners go out whenever they feel like it, there's really no rhyme or reason. I've read posts with guys claiming 100k on factory pads. Mine were right on the hairy edge at 39k. It takes 10 minutes to remove the cam cover and take a look, i do it every oil change. If your stock lifters are still in good shape you shouldn't have a problem reusing them. What's your tuning situation? That will have as big an impact as anything.
The metal fab thing is mostly related to vehicles, so just highlighting that I do consistently work on stuff, just dont want to get in over my head here. I know I dont NEED adjsutable pushrods, just wondering if there is any benefit other then time. Ya, the tensioner issue sure has been beat to death, but as the years go on threads become fewer so only made this to get the 2019, up to date feedback on this issue. Threads from 10 years ago suggest it is almost mandatory to do the cam plate upgrade ha ha!

For tuning, just a CV carb with a sportster needle (or slide? I remember reading something about a sportster carb part being a good upgrade for the dyna on the stock CV. If I save the money doing myslef, there might be room for a Mikuni in there. But was really just thinking of dong some research, getting the "common" jets for a stage 1 w/ cam, and going from there. If I do take it somewhere, messing with the carb will be part of it.

Originally Posted by roadmutt
If you’re not planning on any other engine mods, 509 is a great cam. Not a tire shredder but more usable torque and makes the 88 a lot more fun.

Inner cam bearings and new lifters are cheap insurance. I used Feuling but most go with S&S.

I reused solid pushrods since I pulled the rockers to upgrade to the new style breathers. I think you already have them on your 03.

New Cyco shoes are the cost effective fix. Absolutely DIY.

Lots of threads, dig in.
Thanks for the feedback! I saw you reply in one of the similar threads so glad you popped in here. No other mods planned now, I just want to get the bike good to go and ride the dang thing more. Looking forward to being past this issue so looking to put the best cam in for a stock 88. Looking for a small bump in power with reliability being key.

I'll look up S&S lifters, see what they run. Inner bearings are for sure happening.

Do the breathers wear out? I read that they 03 should have the updated one as you mentioned, but do notice my air filter gets a mild tent of black sooner than I would expect after cleaning. Thinking of just yanking the boxes to see what is going on in there, and save the cash of adjustable if there is no benefit (other then time)

Like I mentioned in the other reply, lots of threads on this and I have ready many of them, just wanted more "up to date" info.

Watched a few youtube video's and could pick up on a few guys that were getting a little loose with their technique, so really thinking I can pull this off. I'm not too far from Jim's, I'm going to see if they will rent me the tools! Lol.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:19 PM
roadmutt
Supporter

Aside from not having to pull the rocker boxes, adjustables let you fine tune preload if the lifters are noisy. My originals were in good shape and not noisy, and the 509 has a stock base circle, so not worth it to me.

I upgraded breathers because the airbox had obviously had a *lot* of oil in it over time (3rd owner), and the new style is more efficient. I'm not sure the filter elements wear out, but they can get saturated and not separate oil. That's all the breather elements are.

If you're at all mechanically inclined, it's not a difficult job. You do need some specialized tools, whether you can rent or buy might be a factor. I did the cams with the Heartland tools (inner bearing tools and cam press plate) and used a large C-clamp to press them in.

It ain't the space shuttle.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:21 AM
briharley
Advanced

Originally Posted by roadmutt
Aside from not having to pull the rocker boxes, adjustables let you fine tune preload if the lifters are noisy. My originals were in good shape and not noisy, and the 509 has a stock base circle, so not worth it to me.

I upgraded breathers because the airbox had obviously had a *lot* of oil in it over time (3rd owner), and the new style is more efficient. I'm not sure the filter elements wear out, but they can get saturated and not separate oil. That's all the breather elements are.

If you're at all mechanically inclined, it's not a difficult job. You do need some specialized tools, whether you can rent or buy might be a factor. I did the cams with the Heartland tools (inner bearing tools and cam press plate) and used a large C-clamp to press them in.

It ain't the space shuttle.
But it is my rocket ship! LOL.

I do have a press, in that case is the cam press plate needed? If all I really need is the inner bearing puller/installer, I'm good with that. Was reading some people get frustrated with the pushrod covers, saw a special tool for that as well but read enough posts that didnt mention it so think I will try without it.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:35 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by briharley
Was reading some people get frustrated with the pushrod covers, saw a special tool for that as well but read enough posts that didnt mention it so think I will try without it.
The "special tool" needed for the pushrod covers looks like this:

The following users liked this post:
Dyna Yeti (07-28-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 02:15 PM
crazytown
Road Master

Received 548 Likes on 319 Posts

OP my advice to you would be to go with the cyco shoes, replace the inner bearings while you are there (not difficult). If you are going to work on the breather stuff at all, I would just re-use your solid pushrods. If you don't want/aren't going to pull the rocker covers off, the adjustable pushrods are a good way to go, and fairly straight forward (ask me how I know).

I think the 509 cams are a good solid cam, especially for what you are doing.

I think you should be okay with your lifters the way they are. If you think they are getting noisy, just replace them. It's an easy thing once you get the pushrods out and the cam chest disassembled. If you are having some rocker noise, that would be an argument to pull the breather covers off and install the Rockout or something similar, and get the new metal breathers in there. Then you could reuse your pushrods, and spend the money on new lifters.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:45 PM
roadmutt
Supporter

Originally Posted by F86
The "special tool" needed for the pushrod covers looks like this:

That looks just like my special tool for opening paint cans!

Old 01-22-2019, 03:53 PM
roadmutt
Supporter

Originally Posted by briharley

I do have a press, in that case is the cam press plate needed? If all I really need is the inner bearing puller/installer, I'm good with that. Was reading some people get frustrated with the pushrod covers, saw a special tool for that as well but read enough posts that didnt mention it so think I will try without it.
You don't *need* the cam press kit, you'll just have to deal with the oddball shape of the cam plate pressing the bearings. It just makes things easier.
Amazon Amazon

The pushrod tubes go back together on either the first or the 50th try. No big deal.

Quick Reply: TC88 Cam Chest DIY and Final Decisions