Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 FXD Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 07:36 PM
SeaClassExpert
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2003 FXD Oil Leak

I've got a pretty severe oil leak coming from what I suspect are the exhaust bracket bolts after putting on my thunderheader. Before the thunderheader and bracket I was running a V&H Big shots staggered that didn't mount up through the transmission cover.

For those unfamiliar, the thunderheader exhaust bracket has 3 bolts that line up through the bearing housing (Harley Part # 35250-90D). I've noticed the oil seeping through the gasket behind the bearing housing, and I suspect that it failed after the bolts were installed. I've also heard that you need to run a longer bolt a at the end of the bracket (picture below), this is where I've found the majority of the oil falling through. It's gotten all over my rear wheels, brake, and exhaust. Can't take it any more

Oil leak is coming from behind this bolt.

How do I get to behind bearing housing and replace the gasket (Part # 35653-98A*)? Do I need to remove the bearings/oil seals in the transmission to get to those gaskets? Pic below.

Part Diagram (# 29 I need to get to)

Any help appreciated boys.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:19 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

You're not going to get that trap door out without removing the gearset. The chrome cover will come off easily but not the trap door. The hole above that bolt should have a bolt in it and those Allen bolts for the bracket should have washers on them.

That being said.... you should take the bolts to your hardware store and get longer ones. Put them back in pretty tight and I bet your leak will stop

The following 2 users liked this post by misfitJason:
crusader1xxx (02-11-2019), SeaClassExpert (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 12:16 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

While you can pull the trap door without the gear set, it takes a few special tools and you'll need to replace the trap door bearings it's better to try tightening the trap door bolts first as stated. .

Old 02-10-2019, 05:12 PM
SeaClassExpert
Novice

Originally Posted by misfitJason
You're not going to get that trap door out without removing the gearset. The chrome cover will come off easily but not the trap door. The hole above that bolt should have a bolt in it and those Allen bolts for the bracket should have washers on them.

That being said.... you should take the bolts to your hardware store and get longer ones. Put them back in pretty tight and I bet your leak will stop
Jason, I'm gonna give that a try first and see what happens. Would it help to drain the transmission oil first?

Old 02-10-2019, 06:13 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by SeaClassExpert
Jason, I'm gonna give that a try first and see what happens. Would it help to drain the transmission oil first?
I'd only drain it if you plan on removing all the fasteners at one time to check the holes.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:03 PM
SeaClassExpert
Novice

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
I'd only drain it if you plan on removing all the fasteners at one time to check the holes.
Hi Max, sorry i'm confused by this, I assume this means check the thread holes? I planned on doing that to make sure they weren't stripped.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:43 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by SeaClassExpert
Hi Max, sorry i'm confused by this, I assume this means check the thread holes? I planned on doing that to make sure they weren't stripped.
Then remove them one bolt at a time if you don't want to drain the oil..