Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

13” Rear Shocks for FXDB Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 11:47 AM
TWilson_
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Not a problem at all! I’m looking for all the info I can get on the subject honestly. 99% of what I read on these forums, hate progressives. But local shops and people I’ve talked to with real world experience have loved and recommended them.

The following users liked this post:
PhillySoldier (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 11:54 AM
PhillySoldier
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TWilson_
Not a problem at all! I’m looking for all the info I can get on the subject honestly. 99% of what I read on these forums, hate progressives. But local shops and people I’ve talked to with real world experience have loved and recommended them.
Ive read a lot of positive things about the progressives on this board. Thats not to say that there were those that thought the higher quality ones even better though. Im kinda stuck on the chrome thing though and most of the higher quality ones dont seem to come in it.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:11 PM
Dynaglide92
Road Master
Received 188 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by PhillySoldier
I hope you dont mind me jumping in on an existing thread rather than starting a new one; I'll edit if you do mind. Im also currently searching for 13" (or higher) rear shocks, in chrome. I think im gonna order the Progressive 444's but wanted to first see first if there is anything of higher quality available - that is at least 13" and in chrome? Any recommendations are appreciated. I see a lot of nice higher end stuff but not in chrome. Open budget.
I would never choose a shock aesthetics over function,You might as well stay stock if that’s the case. I’ve never been a fan of progressive they just aren’t worth what they cost imo

Old 02-15-2019, 12:29 PM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,255 Posts

I'm running Hagon Nitro 13" shocks on my FLD and bought my wife Bitubo WME 13" shocks for her FLD. Both were in the $500-$600 range at the time of purchase and have preload and damping adjustment, and sprung specific for our weight. Both options improved ride quality, keep the wheel firmly planted, improved cornering clearance and can be dialed in for your riding preference.

Ultimately, get a shock that has some adjustment to it and is sprung for your weight. From what I remember, the base Ohlins, which is about $600?, does not have adjustable damping and you'd have to rely on best guess from the builder. Great if they assumptions are on, not so great if their guess is not on.

It won't take much to get a better ride from new shocks, since the stock ones....well, they suck. I'm of the opinion that if you're going to buy new shocks, you're starting budget shouldn't be less than $500 since those options don't provide enough of a gain to justify the money. My wife was skeptical of the ride improving for her with the new shocks. She's now a believer.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:53 PM
SC07Bobber
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Bitubo shocks. I couldn’t be happier. Check dk customs

The following 2 users liked this post by SC07Bobber:
DK Custom (02-18-2019), PhillySoldier (03-14-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 06:29 PM
PhillySoldier
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SC07Bobber
Bitubo shocks. I couldn’t be happier. Check dk customs
ive been reading good things about them and they have them in chrome and size I want. Makes me nervous though to see them cheaper than the progressives. Gonna research it more. Anyone w experience trying both to say how they compare?

Old 02-15-2019, 06:45 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,256 Likes on 3,628 Posts

Originally Posted by TWilson_
Current setup. Would consider going up to 13.5” but not any taller. Don’t want to see light between the tire and fender.

Way Not?

The following users liked this post:
F86 (02-20-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 06:39 PM
Esco11
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PhillySoldier
ive been reading good things about them and they have them in chrome and size I want. Makes me nervous though to see them cheaper than the progressives. Gonna research it more. Anyone w experience trying both to say how they compare?
I wouldn’t worry too much on the price difference compared to progressive. As long as you go through a good retailer, like DK Customs, they’ll be able to help out with most issues.

Progressive is able to charge more for their shocks mainly because of being a more well known name.
Big downside to their products is that most are not rebuidable.

The following 2 users liked this post by Esco11:
DK Custom (02-18-2019), PhillySoldier (03-14-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 09:41 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

800 bucks ... onlins.

close thread.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:49 AM
SenorCollin
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I purchased 13 3/8" Ohlins with adjustable preload and rebound damping built for my weight and riding style within your price range, but they are not all black. Black spring, normal machined finish on the internals.

Some people swear by forum sponsor Howard from motorcycle metal, and some don't care for him.

I had a great experience with David Behrend from Fast Bike Industries, I believe he used to work for Ohlins and would definitely recommend him. He can walk you through some options and give you a recommendation on what would be right for you. Once you address the back of the bike, you're gonna be desperate to do something about this shitty front end as well. If you buy both at once, you might be able to negotiate a deal. Ohlins Nix 22 or Andreani fork cartridge kits are worth looking into.

Quick Reply: 13” Rear Shocks for FXDB Recommendations