Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

13” Rear Shocks for FXDB Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 06:05 PM
TWilson_
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 13” Rear Shocks for FXDB Recommendations

I know it’s a topic that has been beaten far too much, but I still haven’t found a definite answer. If there’s a thread you can direct me to, I’m happy to go there and not waste anyone else’s time.

I want to upgrade my rear suspension, decided on 13” height because that’s the look I prefer.

Bike: 2014 FXDB
Budget: under $800
Riding Style: Phoenix, AZ, mainly around town riding, some montain roads, some 400 mile days.

I have been recommended Legends then was told they come in a pretty package but crappy internals not worth the hype/money. Same shop recommended racing bro’s as best bang for your buck, but I haven’t found much info/reviews on them. I don’t want to skimp and wish I spent more, but also not going to spend over $1k on the badass Ohlins stuff because I don’t ride hard enough to appreciate it.

Long story short: what’s the best set of shocks I can get for under $800?

Old 02-12-2019, 08:43 PM
Jimmyess333
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TWilson_
I know it’s a topic that has been beaten far too much, but I still haven’t found a definite answer. If there’s a thread you can direct me to, I’m happy to go there and not waste anyone else’s time.

I want to upgrade my rear suspension, decided on 13” height because that’s the look I prefer.

Riding Style: Phoenix, AZ, mainly around town riding, some montain roads, some 400 mile days.

I have been recommended Legends then was told they come in a pretty package but crappy internals not worth the hype/money. Same shop recommended racing bro’s as best bang for your buck, but I haven’t found much info/reviews on them. I don’t want to skimp and wish I spent more, but also not going to spend over $1k on the badass Ohlins stuff because I don’t ride hard enough to appreciate it.

What is the main focus of the shock change?
Increased load capacity? Ride height change? Performance increase?
For increased load capacity on my old Sportster

I've used some used Roadking shocks with success.
They are available in a size thats 13, or close to 13 inches...thats what i used.
combined with a Mustang wide seat I've pulled off a 1,000 mile day a few times. 500 mile days were no problem.

Last edited by Jimmyess333; 02-12-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:51 PM
Dynaglide92
Road Master
Received 188 Likes on 136 Posts

you didn’t tell us how you ride. You just gave a bunch of scenarios on where you might ride. Any shock can handle that it’s the style you ride that will determine what you need.
Legends is a good all around shock for those who don’t like to get to technical on shock function I have a set as do I Ohlins. Both good products.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:26 PM
TWilson_
Advanced

Should have been more descriptive...I’m not doing any stunt riding. Like to ride pretty aggressively on the mountain roads but not pushing any limits.

Looking for improved performance/ride quality and ride height. Load capacity is not a factor.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:29 PM
TWilson_
Advanced

Current setup. Would consider going up to 13.5” but not any taller. Don’t want to see light between the tire and fender.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:33 PM
Dynaglide92
Road Master

Should have been more descriptive...I’m not doing any stunt riding. Like to ride pretty aggressively on the mountain roads but not pushing any limits.

Looking for improved performance/ride quality and ride height. Load capacity is not a factor.
IMO you’d fit into a “sport touring” category well that’s what I like to call it. Great for long distances and good for curves long as you aren’t scraping pegs or your primary every turn. You have to be honest on how you ride if you lie to yourself about that you will be disappointed if you end up with overly stiff shocks. Talk to a shock builder (racetech, kraus moto, odc, howard messner) they’ll steer you into a good direction

Old 02-12-2019, 09:35 PM
Dynaglide92
Road Master

Current setup. Would consider going up to 13.5” but not any taller. Don’t want to see light between the tire and fender.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:36 PM
Dynaglide92
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dynaglide92

this is my bike with ohlins 13.25in shocks. It’s the perfect height for me at 5’9

Old 02-12-2019, 09:42 PM
TWilson_
Advanced

I think sport touring would be an accurate description. Thanks for the advice. I’m 6’3 so height isn’t an issue for me beyond appearance.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:59 PM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

'That gap' is a highly desired look in some circles.:

Quick Reply: 13” Rear Shocks for FXDB Recommendations