Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End Reborn

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 11:31 AM
on3wego
Cruiser
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts

That's a beautiful bike, James.

Looking forward to seeing it finished (if only momentarily, amirite).

What seat is that?

Last edited by on3wego; 02-19-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:47 PM
union53
Road Captain
Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by on3wego
That's a beautiful bike, James.

Looking forward to seeing it finished (if only momentarily, amirite).

What seat is that?
Thanks The seat was made by Sick Saddles. Ed does a very nice job. When I have the money I think I'm going to have him make me another seat. Last year he started making a King and Queen style seat that I wanted from day one but no one made for my bike.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:43 AM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Nice bike! 👍

Old 03-02-2019, 01:50 PM
union53
Road Captain

All parts except for the brake hoses which I need to figure out length will be here next week. Originally I was going to ride the bike to my shop to do the work since there is a ton more room then in my garage but now that it's March winter has decided to show up. While I wait for the new cartridges to show up I decided to do what I can in my cramped messy garage.

The one really nice thing about my garage is the sounds system.

Front End Reborn-msynwh6.jpg

First step was to get the bike off the ground. and the wheel off.

Front End Reborn-ryeujvx.jpg

Front End Reborn-k8xkvjf.jpg

I didn't remove the forks yet but before we start we get a reference measurement of the ride height so when they are reinstalled they can be put back t the same spot. It's even more important since I am changing the internals. The fork length can change from stock to new. This measurement can be done easily in two different ways. Both are off the bottom triple. Either hook the top and measure to axle center or butt the bottom and measure to axle center. Which ever is easier just make sure to do it the same way when putting the forks back on. I chose to butt the bottom and measure down. We call this BLC. Bottom of Lower Clamp to axle center.

Front End Reborn-aqlfwvi.jpg

It happened to be 559mm on my bike.

Todays task was to swap out brake rotors and then figure out what I need for new spacers for the calipers.

Rotor swap was pretty straight forward. With the wheel off and on the table the old rotor was removed.

Front End Reborn-w4n638i.jpg

Here is a comparison of the old and new rotors.

Front End Reborn-aoky6bt.jpg

The new rotor on the bottom to show the size difference. The new rotors are 320mm.

Front End Reborn-j8zyzkg.jpg

New rotors installed. What was interesting was the torque spec was on the high end of my small torque wrench and the low end of my large torque wrench. And a pretty large range. Between 16 and 24 ftlbs.

Front End Reborn-vgrvlfk.jpg

I couldn't really get the shot I was looking for here. One thing you want to do with wave type rotors is try to not align the petals on them. Here although it's difficult to see the petals do alternate.

Front End Reborn-rcf1ikj.jpg

Now the wheel is ready to go.

Front End Reborn-fxqvnjs.jpg

Wheel back on the bike to figure out bracket and caliper spacing.

Front End Reborn-mf4cihk.jpg

Luckily the spacing from fork to bracket remained the same. I expected this since they are the same thickness with no offset.

Front End Reborn-5cw1rik.jpg

I also knew the calipers would have to move out a little bit because of the increased rotor diameter. Sadly it was a bit more then expected. Not a big deal but I do have to buy new longer bolts. Since I started this project with Ti I'm going to complete it with Ti so it's about $70 for the four bolts I need and I now have about $65 in bolts I'm not longer going to use.

New spacer size I need to make.

Front End Reborn-ajl9kvh.jpg

It's spaced out so the entire rotor is used.

Front End Reborn-xjvpvn3.jpg

Just got the call from my shop. New Brembo Master is in. Will update soon.

The following users liked this post:
F86 (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 08:55 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts

Every thing here looks cool.... Like all brake set ups.. But has anyone used the willow wood setups?

Dig the carbon fiber fender f86

Old 03-05-2019, 03:56 PM
union53
Road Captain

Cartridges have arrived. Hopefully I'll have time to install them this weekend.

Front End Reborn-sw6y5g3.jpg

Front End Reborn-heau5ij.jpg

Old 03-09-2019, 03:46 PM
union53
Road Captain

Got the forks rebuilt and put back on the bike today. At this point I'm just waiting for some hardware to show up so I can figure out my brake line lengths and finish this up. Here's the shots from today.

Bike in the air and forks off.

Front End Reborn-nvhtayk.jpg

Stock forks getting ready to be taken apart.

Front End Reborn-n1thmjg.jpg

After taking them apart and running them through the wash tank this is what you should end up with. One thing to be careful of here when taking them apart the metal preload spacers come out pretty quickly and they seem to have a nice edge on them. Never had a fork try to take a core sample from my hand before. All in all damper rod forks are pretty simple and easy to take apart.

Front End Reborn-h6g0hco.jpg

Here's a comparison of the stock spring which is the longer progressive wound spring to the new spring which is shorter and a straight rate.

Front End Reborn-fk314co.jpg

New parts laid out and I've started to reassemble.

Front End Reborn-qytjc4y.jpg

This is the pile of parts that do not get reused.

Front End Reborn-bumkhcp.jpg

Forks assembled, home, and ready to go back on the bike

Front End Reborn-zf7biiw.jpg

Now back on the bike and just about complete with my winter project.

Front End Reborn-fqyghlr.jpg

Front End Reborn-ftstag4.jpg

Old 03-09-2019, 06:05 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Looking great! You're much faster than I am! I'm still waiting for parts, but should knock out some stuff tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to a ride report when you're done!

Old 03-10-2019, 05:41 AM
union53
Road Captain

Originally Posted by F86
Looking great! You're much faster than I am! I'm still waiting for parts, but should knock out some stuff tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to a ride report when you're done!
Thanks I do have an advantage over most at getting this stuff done. I have access to a suspension shop that I used to work and race out of. Makes things a lot easier and quicker then doing the work in my garage.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:40 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Hey James, you didn't happen to weigh one of your rotors before install, did you? I would be curious, now that I've weighed mine. According to the BrakeTech info, mine are 1mm thicker than yours, and 10mm larger in diameter. I'm wondering what that translates to in terms of weight. Just plain curiosity, not actually important...

Quick Reply: Front End Reborn