Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's a good tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 03:33 PM
Dynafrom818
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Stock tires are junk??

Old 03-01-2019, 06:35 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynafrom818
Stock tires are junk??
[Obi-Wan]From a certain point of view[/Obi-Wan]

Old 03-01-2019, 07:08 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Lotsa moto tire manu's are getting ready to put their tires "on sale" for the riding season. Some started today, in fact.

Then, there's always Cycle Gear with their matched sets.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:24 PM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,013 Likes on 602 Posts

Originally Posted by billib1954
Avon cobras!
I second that!

Old 03-02-2019, 12:36 AM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

Kinda like asking what oil is good. Depends on what is important to you. German name? Japanese name? American? long mileage? Sticky for good cornering? Be more specific unless you want a popularity contest.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:28 PM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,307 Likes on 8,535 Posts

I put Commander II on my Wide Glide. Much better than stock (but everything is).
WG has skinny tire. I like to ride back country twisties and mountain curves. Don’t do much freeway.
Commander II good tire for what I ride.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:22 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

I could talk about tires all day long. I have 3 bikes and they all have different tires and they all have different riding styles. I pretty much use the dyna for trips and riding with my wife out of town. and mild curvy road getting it. For me on the dyna I love the commander 2's. Feel solid at high speed, quite, good wear, great for tar snakes and rain grooves and a great profile. Mostly I trust them at 95 mph with camping/riding gear loaded on the bike.

They are not the best in the rain. The best rain tires in my experience are the ones with the center groove or alternating center groove like the michilin schorcher , but what you sacrifice with this tread pattern is that they all grab at road imperfections like tar snakes, rain groves etc.

they are not the stickiest either, espically when they are cold. If you dump the cluch in first with some cold commander 2's they will just spin and spin like you are on ice.

for highway use and general riding/commuting I think the commander 2 is the best of coarse there are many I have not tried.

right now I have a commander2 on front and a schorcher on the back because I got a huge nail on a trip and had to get an in stock tire. It is just about done and I will replace with a set of mc2.

I have mismatched tires all the time and never thought anything of it. now the parts counter will tell you they work together as a system and they need to be the same. What a bunch of crap. Don't take off a decent tire, it will wear out soon enough.

For years I loved the metzler 880 then the quality of them took a dump. You could still for a while get made in germany 880's if you buy the ones with the higher speed rating. They were like a completely different tire. We all ran them and then I have 3 friends that had big chunks of rubber come off. Not good, they were all made in brazil.

The only tire I have ever took off with tons of tread and basically new was the Pirelli night dragon. I don't know if it was out of round or a defect but if was absolutely horrible. I have talked with multible riders I respect and they love them so who knows.

Don't even get me started on truck tires. Right now I have 10 ply E load bfg ko2 and they are awesome. now I hear there is a ko3, I don't know might have to give them a try!

Old 03-02-2019, 05:24 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdlx
Kinda like asking what oil is good. Depends on what is important to you. German name? Japanese name? American? long mileage? Sticky for good cornering? Be more specific unless you want a popularity contest.
yes this also
there is no magic tire that is good for everything

Old 03-02-2019, 08:47 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts

On second Dunlop on the back, had a thread coming thru on a new tire with little over a thousand miles on the tire, it was in the groove and the replaced the tire no issues. So I guess I will be sticking with them.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:05 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,427 Likes on 909 Posts

I also ran the Michelin camander 2 up front with the stock scorcher on the back with good results. That is a good option for wide gliders to advance to the 90/90 from the 80/90 on the stock skinny front rim. Just went to the 120 up front and a 180 (stock size) in the back.

If the new cobra chrome performs as good as it looks, I’ll be all set.

Quick Reply: What's a good tire