Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duel front brakes vs Single

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 06:49 AM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by MMH
a real heim joint for the top engine mount.

Cool, can I see a picture of that on your bike by any chance?

Old 04-18-2019, 07:32 AM
ludville1
Tourer
Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Besides additional braking power, dual discs up front just look better...more symmetrical, IMHO.

Last edited by ludville1; 04-18-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:37 AM
ludville1
Tourer

Originally Posted by leafman60
I back up what someone said earlier. I am a proponent of the Ness Big Brake single rotor. I installed it on my 2012 FXDC and I am very satisfied with it. My bike is configured for performance running (jacked-up Ohlins suspension etc etc) and the big single front brake works fine. Hand feel is good too.

I considered going to a dual brake set-up but considered other options first to avoid the front end clutter and added un-sprung weight of the dual system. First, I tried a Performance Machine (PM) 6-piston caliper on my stock rotor. The PM caliper looked great but it was not as strong as the stock caliper. I then went to the Ness Big Brake and re-installed my stock caliper. I'm satisfied. It works fine and looks great to me.

Leafman, really nice bike...I have always liked it!

Old 04-18-2019, 09:22 AM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by ludville1
dual discs up front just look better...more symmetrical, IMHO.
They do, but it's a lot easier to clean the front wheel when there's only one disc.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:20 AM
ludville1
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mark Faulkner
They do, but it's a lot easier to clean the front wheel when there's only one disc.
Yes, and check tire pressure/air up the front tire too!

Old 04-18-2019, 11:32 PM
Dynafrom818
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

How about upgrading brake pads with the stock set up??

Old 04-19-2019, 01:09 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynafrom818
How about upgrading brake pads with the stock set up??

Much Less costly way of a slight upgrade .. Been enough for me anyway with Lyndall Gold Pads .. Although might upgrade the Rotor when the original needs replacing ..

Old 04-20-2019, 07:56 AM
MMH
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SixDD
Cool, can I see a picture of that on your bike by any chance?

The heim joint does not look much different than the Harley mount, but the HD mount is not a true heim and actually has rubber bushings where the spherical part of the joint is. The part I used was an aftermarket alternator mount for a SB Chevy that I got off of Amazon. Not my idea - F86 deserves credit for this cheap and easy improvement.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:45 PM
justmealwatts
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On my 2001 FXDL with 90K miles, I was accustomed to occasionally using a handful of front brake with the stock setup/dot5 fluid...out of curiosity, I decided to upgrade to the Arlen Ness big rotor and new EBC sintered Double H pads, the same kind of pads that I have been using on the stock rotors...true, it does have a different feel and I am happy with my decision. Approched the upgrade as mechanical as compared to cosmetic.

Was interested in the claimed 30% increase in stopping power because every now and then, I have a passenger.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:09 PM
union53
Road Captain
Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

I just finished my front end this year. Been waiting for a few years to complete it because of money. I did the dual disc conversion but the rotors and calipers were only part of the equation. I had spiegler make me a brake line and I upgraded the master to a brembo 19rcs. I also rebuilt the forks with cartridges from GP suspension. The suspension does have an affect on the bikes braking ability. With all that said and done I've noticed a big difference in braking force and stability. I have a nice firm lever and when I apply the brake the bike takes a nice set and I can easily modulate the braking from there as needed. Very happy with the results.

Attachment 615493

The following users liked this post:
JayStronghawk (04-21-2019)

Quick Reply: Duel front brakes vs Single