Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Help! rear wheel locks up (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/1279764-help-rear-wheel-locks-up.html)

fat bastard 68 04-16-2019 05:33 AM

Help! rear wheel locks up

My bike is a 2007 Streetbob and recently noticed a squealing noise as I approached a stop light. I thought it was someone's car making noise like a fan belt does. The next day I rolled it out of my driveway in reverse and felt it binding, it was in neutral, anyways I parked it. When I got home and put it on the lift I rotated the wheel by hand and it locks up (still in neutral) at certain points so much that I then have to spin it backward to free it up to be able to spin it forwards again then it will lock up again.
What do you think it could be? I had a new tire, rotor, and pads put on about 6 weeks ago. I need to try and figure out what it is before I take it to a shop maybe it's something I can do myself. Thanks guys.

Oneshot660 04-16-2019 05:36 AM

First thing I would do is remove the drive belt and spin it. If it does it with drive belt remove change your wheel bearings. If it does not do it it is something in the primary or trans.

Captain Itch 04-16-2019 06:04 AM

Might be a piston sticking in the caliper ..

Mutineer 04-16-2019 07:23 AM

Sounds like it could be a wheel bearing. Remove the wheel and inspect.

rol427 04-16-2019 08:15 AM

My money is on the new rotor/pad combination.

fat bastard 68 04-16-2019 08:44 AM

Thanks guys, and I just managed to add the youtube video to the first post so you can hear it as well !!! My hearing is really bad (perforated eardrums) that's why I thought it was someone elses car making the sound at first hahaha

hdbob2006 04-16-2019 09:51 AM

Sounds like brakes to me. I'd lift the caliper away from the rotor,and then spin the wheel by hand for a few minutes. i think if you keep riding through traffic like that though,you won't be worrying about that squealing noise much longer.

Mutineer 04-16-2019 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by fat bastard 68 (Post 18187303)
Thanks guys, and I just managed to add the youtube video to the first post so you can hear it as well !!! My hearing is really bad (perforated eardrums) that's why I thought it was someone elses car making the sound at first hahaha

The video is interesting. It almost sounds like the noise grows louder as you complete that right hand turn, just before straightening out. Like similar posts, it may be a combination issue. Part of me thinks something could also be out-of-alignment in that you've got some engine mount issues going on, or that the front + rear wheels may not be in-line with each other, on top of a potential brake/bearing issue.

Curious to see how you resolve this. Good luck,

NORTY FLATZ 04-16-2019 11:32 AM

Yup, it's bearing committing suicide or brake caliper issue. Are you 100% positive it's not the front wheel?

shodown220 04-16-2019 12:45 PM

My dad had a very similar situation on his road king (spoke wheels). He had just got back from bike week and was backing the bike into the garage and noticed it didn't want to roll. Put it on the lift and wheel would spin but kept getting stuck at one spot but would roll freely anywhere else. Upon further inspection his rim had actually split about 4 inches and that section was causing the tire to push out and rub the belt. Others had good suggestions but just something to check!