Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob 2013 Wont Start

Old 04-16-2019, 05:59 PM
geter712
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Street Bob 2013 Wont Start

Hello! I have a problem with Street Bob 2013. Bike was ridden only couple of times since it was purchased, has only 3000km. It was sitting in dry, heated garage for the last two years. Wasn't cranked even once, but the battery was plugged in HD charging station all the time. When we opened the garage, I expected it to crank without problems but it didn't. First of all, battery was pretty weak, cranking was possible for a couple of times, but it didn't start and then it wasn't able to crank any more. I guess charging station didn't do the job well... Anyway cranking sucked all remaining juice from the battery and when I measured the voltage (when bike was turned off) it says 11.3... So I tried to jump start the bike using cables from my car, but that didn't help. It cranks great, multimeter measured about 13-14v when my car engine is running, but bike won't start. I checked all three fuses (two small and one big) and they are fine (even tried to spray them with contact spray).

The first thing I suspected was a fuel pump, since I'm unable to hear it priming when I turn the switch to IGN. So I disconnected the quck-release hose from the fuel tank and turned the switch to IGN, expecting it to squirt the fuel from tank, but it didn't happen. Then I disconnected the fuel pump connector in order to check if it gets the voltage but when I turn the switch to IGN, the orange and black wires (thick black version on the side) get the electricity for only 3 seconds and it shuts off. I guess this would be normal if fuel pressure was fine, but since I tried this with fuel hose disconnected... I doubt that something else's wrong since I guess it should feed the electricity until it detects pressure.

I don't have experience with modern, fuel injected bikes, so please advise. I've run the diag and went through all modes. Here are the results, along with explanations I've found on the internet:

B2116 - Fuel Pump Output Open
B2119 - Fuel Pump Overload
B2151 - Rear turn signal output open
B2156 - Right Rear Turn Signal Output Open
B1211 - Fuel Sender Shorted High / Open

It is definitely something with fuel supply, but these related to turn signals don't make any sense since the turn signals works fine. Everything else on the bike works normally.

PS Important to mention... Bike has ABS and HD security with buttonless fob. The fob battery was replaced two years ago and I suspected that it might be the problem but it disarms the alarm once the fob approaches the bike... So I guess it can't be related to weak fob battery, right?

Last edited by geter712; 04-16-2019 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something...
Old 04-16-2019, 06:22 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

How do you get the fuel pump to work with just the ignition switch?

Old 04-17-2019, 02:42 AM
geter712
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Qdog002
How do you get the fuel pump to work with just the ignition switch?
I don't know, I suppose it should start working for a couple of seconds at the moment when switch is turned to IGN, right? To prime the injection system with fuel??

Old 04-17-2019, 05:25 AM
Bushranger
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuel pump kicks in when you hit the run switch if I remember right. turn IGN on then hit run, you should hear the fuel pump work.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:50 AM
geter712
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bushranger
Fuel pump kicks in when you hit the run switch if I remember right. turn IGN on then hit run, you should hear the fuel pump work.
How sure are you in this? Isn't it a little bit too late for pump to run when "run" switch is pressed? I think I've read somewhere that it should run immediately after turning on ignition switch, in order to supply injection system with fuel. It is a short, couple of seconds process performed to supply the necessary fuel. Also, as I understood, this will not happen if there's a pressure in hose, which means the pump is already primed and ready (was previously turned on/off without starting). Correct me if I'm wrong on this, please...

Old 04-17-2019, 12:01 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 967 Likes on 730 Posts

The run switch is not the same as the starter switch. The pump doesn't activate until the it's in the run position. Then you use the starter switch.

Old 04-17-2019, 04:23 PM
geter712
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nevil
The run switch is not the same as the starter switch. The pump doesn't activate until the it's in the run position. Then you use the starter switch.
Eh, now I understand what switch we were talking about 😁 I used to call it a "killswitch", thats why I misunderstood it for "Start". Nevermined... You guys wanna say that if I turn main switch to IGN and then hit "run" switch, the pump will have to engage? Especially if fuel line hose has been taken off, down the tank, right? I'm trying to isolate problem before spending money for a new pump

Old 04-17-2019, 06:32 PM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 793 Likes on 571 Posts

Keep in mind, the fuel hose and the tank fittings have shutoffs in them, so if you unhook the line from the tank, nothing will come out.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:31 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Ignition on
Kill switch to run, then you will here the pump prime
Press starter to start.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:04 PM
toddskill
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

Fuel pump will only run a couple seconds regardless of pressure, and as said above, the quick disconnect has a shutoff so it wont spray when disconnected. Crank the engine over some and pull a spark plug see if it smells like fuel, if it does put the plug with the wire attached against a bolt on the engine and see if you get spark when cranking.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Street Bob 2013 Wont Start