Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrecked my bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 10:18 PM
Mike Bowser
Intermediate
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Wrecked my bike

Monday morning I wrecked my bike (16 FXDB 6200 miles). I was coming out of a corner, excelerated when the all the sudden the bike quickly reved shooting me into a ditch. I tried pulling the clutch and break but it all happened so fast.

My my question is insurance related. I keep getting told it will probably be totaled, the forks look bent, the bars and controls are trash, the tank is dented in three spots, heat shields are damaged, and of course the excelerator issue.

I know each insurance company is different. I’m just asking for general thoughts about it being totaled vs repaired

Old 04-18-2019, 11:01 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

Sounds totalled to me. Usually if the frame is attacked anywhere its game over. I'm sure the frame is dented somewhere.

The following users liked this post:
Mike Bowser (04-19-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 11:24 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,858 Likes on 4,112 Posts

Two common reasons insurance companies will total a bike versus repair it :

1. As mentioned above, the frame is damaged or bent
2. The cost of repairs is a major percentage of the bike's value. Many insurance companies use 90% as the threshold. If the repair cost is greater than or equal to 90% of the vehicle's value, they will total it.

Mike Bowser (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 02:01 AM
fxdup
Road Warrior
Received 950 Likes on 605 Posts

How about you. How did you fair in the wreck?

You're def still alive.

Mike Bowser (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 06:18 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

Sorry to hear about your wreck hope your ok sounds like you made out ok. Like it was mentioned if your frame is intact and not bent theres a good chance if can be repaired hang in there its are worst nightmare.

Mike Bowser (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 06:21 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I think they will repair it. Doesn't sound like you were going that fast.
Years ago I was cut off and rolled my bike head over heals twice with major damage except the frame. They fixed it.
His insurance paid $17,000.00
Good luck.

Mike Bowser (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 07:01 AM
Just Mike
Road Warrior
Received 3,146 Likes on 992 Posts

My buddy and I were out 2 weeks ago, cruising down the highway. My buddy took a sweeping turn too hot and ate the concrete divider doing about 70mph. He is damn lucky he hit it more parallel than perpendicular or he would not be here with us today.

Hes had 4 surgeries since the wreck, his left hand is completely shattered and will likely require more surgeries, his leg snapped below the knee, and his shoulder socket is fractured, with the muscles torn loose. He will probably never raise his arm above his head again.

The handle bars, forks, fender and front end are pretty messed up, the engine guard was ripped off the bike in 2 of 3 anchor points, and various other damage to running boards, bags and other items that came in contact with pavement.

The insurance adjuster offered hom $3800 and told him he could get it repaired at a shop of his choice. I told him to refuse the offer and have them tow it to the local Harley dealer and let them do the inspection and provide the estimate/total loss. It just got there yesterday, but they are 2 week back logged, so I do not know their verdict yet. I am of the opinion it should be totaled. Who knows what hidden damage there could be to welds/frame in the neck and engine area that you cannot see.

Ill tell you you like I told him. I realize that you love your bike, but don't fight to have it fixed if it's going to be flawed. Take the money and buy a new love, the risk just isn't worth it. If there is a hair line crack somewhere that goes unnoticed, and it vibrates itself into a failure in a year, then you are out a bike with no compensation.

Mike Bowser (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 07:24 AM
woodreaux
Road Captain
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

Hope you’re okay- take care of you first.
Agree with the others in that you want to make sure that the frame is not compromised.
The last I heard replacement frames from HD through a dealership only was about $2500.

Good luck.

Mike Bowser (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 07:29 AM
Mike Bowser
Intermediate
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdup
How about you. How did you fair in the wreck?

You're def still alive.
i have some road rash of course, I did unfortunately break my arm up near my shoulder.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:39 AM
ronaldrwl
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 229 Posts

What caused the bike to rev?

Quick Reply: Wrecked my bike