Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lite clutch kit?? 40% easier clutch??

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 10:28 AM
iaminsider
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

If any of yall want to try the Burly kit, I have one sitting on the bench that I installed this spring due to a hand surgery. My hand healed up before riding season and I pulled it after about 15 miles. It is for 06+ Dyna. $20 shipped.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:43 AM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 800 Likes on 577 Posts

There's no free lunch. Without mechanical assist (hydraulic pump, vacuum, etc.) the only way to reduce the effort is to increase the leverage. With fixed throw of the lever, increased leverage comes at the expense of movement of the clutch, hence the sensitivity to correct adjustment; you simply aren't moving the throw-out the same distance.

Old 04-29-2019, 11:10 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by John CC
There's no free lunch. Without mechanical assist (hydraulic pump, vacuum, etc.) the only way to reduce the effort is to increase the leverage. With fixed throw of the lever, increased leverage comes at the expense of movement of the clutch, hence the sensitivity to correct adjustment; you simply aren't moving the throw-out the same distance.
Exactly. That was my conclusion the first time I looked at these.

The following users liked this post:
Mutineer (04-30-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 11:44 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 559 Posts

I put the Burly in this winter as the heavy duty clutch spring was tiring on the hand during parades and long group rides. 40% less is about right but to make sure it seats fully I will say there is more friction when I have it pulled all the way in than there was before. Not enough to move the bike, but it wants to go. I felt better putting it in with an AIM VP clutch plate though to help create more pressure with higher revs.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:16 PM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,013 Likes on 602 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Guild
I put the Burly in this winter as the heavy duty clutch spring was tiring on the hand during parades and long group rides. 40% less is about right but to make sure it seats fully I will say there is more friction when I have it pulled all the way in than there was before. Not enough to move the bike, but it wants to go. I felt better putting it in with an AIM VP clutch plate though to help create more pressure with higher revs.
So it sounds to me that to adjust for full engagement the clutch will not completely disengage and the clutch is ever so lightly dragging?

Old 04-29-2019, 03:43 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Bob
So it sounds to me that to adjust for full engagement the clutch will not completely disengage and the clutch is ever so lightly dragging?
That is what it seems like. I adjusted to make sure I have full engagement but with the engine running and the clutch pulled in it feels like there is a little force on the belt still. "clutch drag" I think it is called.

Last edited by Jay Guild; 04-29-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:55 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

Honda makes automatic transmission bikes.

Bet that would be the easiest

Old 04-29-2019, 05:03 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by F86
I'm pretty sure my Barnett extra plate clutch pack said not to use any of these devices. I assume they're super sensitive not only to cable adjustment, but to clutch pack height and adjustment too. It seems like a balancing act to get enough pull and enough free play. But obviously it works for a lot of people!
Been using one with the Barnett setup for a couple years also with a 480 lb spring. Of the bat, I removed the damper spring, spacer and narrow friction disc. Replaced with a full width friction. Clutch works fine tho the friction zone is a little narrow (but not as bad as say an M8 stock clutch). Bike (2000 FXDX) has been running an easy-boy clone since 20000 miles. No problem with the clutch cables with 62K on the bike. Still got the original.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:30 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Been using one with the Barnett setup for a couple years also with a 480 lb spring. Of the bat, I removed the damper spring, spacer and narrow friction disc. Replaced with a full width friction. Clutch works fine tho the friction zone is a little narrow (but not as bad as say an M8 stock clutch). Bike (2000 FXDX) has been running an easy-boy clone since 20000 miles. No problem with the clutch cables with 62K on the bike. Still got the original.
That's cool! BTW, your setup is basically how Barnett now ships the extra plate set. They've modified the instructions to explain NOT to reinstall the damper or spacer, and all the plates are full width.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:35 PM
Kevin R
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 73 Posts

I was installing the burly brand one but took it right back off after seeing that it made the clutch cable rub on the pass through sleeve. You will see what I am talking about when and if you install one.

Quick Reply: Lite clutch kit?? 40% easier clutch??