Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud rear cylinder tick on 2014 street bob

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 04:43 PM
Matt 337
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Loud rear cylinder tick on 2014 street bob

I was hoping someone could help me diagnose a loud tick I'm getting on the rear cylinder of my 2014 street bob. The bike appears to run great besides the tick. There is no tick when bike is off and then started. I've been able to produce the ticking by riding the bike in second gear at 3500 or so rpms. Using a stethoscope I can hear the tick on the rear cylinder above and to the right of the spark plug on the cylinder head. Its heard at idle clutch lever pulled in or bike in neutral and can be heard in lower gears before exhaust drowns it out. The ticking will also randomly stop at times as well.

about 400 miles ago I added an andrews 57H cam, s&s tappets, s&s quickie pushrods and v&h big radius pipes. I did about 250-300 miles on the setup before the ticking started. I have the v&h fp3 tuner and it gives a code of both cylinders being rich and to run auto tune as a fix.

Push rods where initially installed with 24 flats, I adjusted them to 27 flats which lessened the valve train noise but the ticking remains the same. Where do I go from here?

Thanks -matt

Old 05-20-2019, 10:33 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,423 Likes on 906 Posts

One thing to check is make sure push rods are not hitting the push rod tubes. Start the bike and put your finger tip on one of the tubes with a little pressure. Had tha problem with my Evo. Not saying your noise is normal or not normal but sometimes after cam’s you get more valve train noise. Does it tap a certain rpm’s. Maybe have someone take a listen like a builder. My bike has some clatter at certain rpm’s but it is the high lift springs and I am talking light tapping nor rapping. Louder when hot.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:27 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Sounds like classic rocker shaft tapping. Have a look around my website, thousand cured all over the world

John @ Rockout

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!