Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New wheel bearings and tire now brakes rub.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 03:19 PM
Strtspdlx
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default New wheel bearings and tire now brakes rub.

I have an 08 fxdf and i recently replaced front wheel bearings and tire. I made sure to keep the spacers in the correct location. Currently the longer spacer is on the clutch side of the bike. Put it all back together and noticed bolting on calipers that the clutch side caliper had a good 1/4" space between forks and cliper and the brake lever side of the bike was pushed too far into the fork to slide into place. Got it together and brakes drag very badly and calipers are not centered over the rotor when viewing from the rotor cutouts. So i thought maybe i installed the bearings wrong as i dont have a special installer, unless you call a hammer and socket a special installer. Slid the bearings around and its better but still not right. So i measured from face of the rotor to the center of the wheel. And it seems to be an offset wheel. Has anyone run into this before? Im thinking i pulled a rookie move and have the tire on backwards. But im no harley tech. And i do have a service manual. Thanks

Old 05-25-2019, 06:33 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 727 Likes on 403 Posts

I ran into this when I did my rear wheel bearings a few years back. It definitely makes a difference which side you press in first.

The following users liked this post:
stilup (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 02:37 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,811 Posts

Originally Posted by Strtspdlx
I have an 08 fxdf ... Im thinking i pulled a rookie move ... And i do have a service manual. Thanks
Well, it was a "Rookie" Move , but don't be too hard on yourself ... it also happens to people "who get paid" to do that work

There can be quite a few nuances as far as wheel/tire/bearing assemblies are concerned

Your FSM actually does state to start the 1st bearing on the LEFT Front (different years and models have better "Manual" descriptions though).
What can be the hardest part on some Dual Disc wheels is determining which side is the LEFT if you're not familiar with wheel.

Last edited by multihdrdr; 05-26-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:09 PM
Strtspdlx
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Well, it was a "Rookie" Move , but don't be too hard on yourself ... it also happens to people "who get paid" to do that work

There can be quite a few nuances as far as wheel/tire/bearing assemblies are concerned

Your FSM actually does state to start the 1st bearing on the LEFT Front (different years and models have better "Manual" descriptions though).
What can be the hardest part on some Dual Disc wheels is determining which side is the LEFT if you're not familiar with wheel.

Im not familiar with the wheel and it does seem to have an offset. For now im moving the bearings around until they fit the calipers correctly. Tire still seems centered between the forks, but thats just by eye. I turn wrenches on cars for a living. So i tend to hold myself to a higher standard then this. Thats what i get for being in a rush.
Edit: i did notice all the fatbobs of my era have the valve stem on the brake lever side of the bike. So im hoping i got that correct.

Last edited by Strtspdlx; 05-26-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:45 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

did you get it?

Is the axle shouldered? Seems like you have to get everything loosely in place then you can slide the axle into adjustment by using the hole in the axle, then clamp that side down, then tighten axle nut. Also the spacers I think are chamfered on one side so maybe check that.