Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Trouble starting Street Bob (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/1287806-trouble-starting-street-bob.html)

Chango1079 06-11-2019 07:45 AM

Trouble starting Street Bob

Needing some help. I bought a 2011 Dyna Street Bob with a stage one a couple of months ago. Everything was fine at first, but now after it warms up it seems to have some issues wanting to start. I push the start button and it turns over but it just huffs and puffs. I have to release the start let it sit and try it again. Does anyone have any ideas what causes this?

danhahn 06-11-2019 08:05 AM

I would start with new plugs, wires, and check the resistance of the coil after bike is warmed up good. Resistance should be 2.5 to 3.1 ohms, if I remember correctly. Look it up though.
Coils tend to give problems when hot when they start to fail.
Since it ran fine at first, I doubt it's the tune.

14fxdwg 06-11-2019 07:35 PM

How old is your battery? cables clean?

Chango1079 06-11-2019 08:22 PM

I'm not sure how old the battery is but it looks alright and so do the cables/connections

nevil 06-11-2019 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Chango1079 (Post 18323005)
I'm not sure how old the battery is but it looks alright and so do the cables/connections

You're kidding, right?

Chango1079 06-12-2019 09:16 PM

No... why?

1bestfriend 06-12-2019 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chango1079 (Post 18325757)
No... why?

I think they’re getting at the fact you can’t know the health of a battery by “looks.”

I don’t know what “huffs and puffs” sounds or looks like, but I’ve had similar warm/hot start problems with the same bike. When the starter is hot it is less powerful, resulting in kick-back. A stronger starter clutch can resolve the problem. Also replaced my compensator with the SE version at the same time. Problems solved.

Chango1079 06-13-2019 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by 1bestfriend (Post 18325941)
I think they’re getting at the fact you can’t know the health of a battery by “looks.”

I don’t know what “huffs and puffs” sounds or looks like, but I’ve had similar warm/hot start problems with the same bike. When the starter is hot it is less powerful, resulting in kick-back. A stronger starter clutch can resolve the problem. Also replaced my compensator with the SE version at the same time. Problems solved.

I understand that you cant test a battery by looking at it. What I was getting at is that it doesn't look old and I have not had the chance to have it tested

"Huff and puff" as in the motor is going through it's full cycle with the starter but without fire. So it builds up compression and then exhausts it. It makes a repeated "puffing" sound from the exhaust. And it continues until I let go of the start button and try again

Unfortunately I fear starter clutch and compensator may be out of my mechanic skill level.

John CC 06-13-2019 06:19 AM

If the engine is turning over and making compression and goes through multiple compression cycles without stopping as long as you press the starter button, then it's unlikely the battery has anything to do with your problem. (or starter clutch or compensator).

In addition to compression, you need fuel and spark. Do you smell gas after extended cranking? Check for spark by pulling a plug wire and plugging it into a spare plug. Rest the metal shell of the plug against the cylinder and crank. Look for a strong spark.

And/or, pull a spark plug out and see if it is wet or dry, or fouled.

Don't try this at home, but, we used to take a lit match and hold it over the plug hole. Just be sure your hand is not in the way of the flame jet that may ensue... (One of those fancy newfangled barbecue lighters might be a better idea.)

tsport117 06-13-2019 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Chango1079 (Post 18321202)
Needing some help. I bought a 2011 Dyna Street Bob with a stage one a couple of months ago. Everything was fine at first, but now after it warms up it seems to have some issues wanting to start. I push the start button and it turns over but it just huffs and puffs. I have to release the start let it sit and try it again. Does anyone have any ideas what causes this?

CKP sensor might be bad. You can test it with a digital multimeter easy. Just follow the wires to the plug.

You can find a procedure on axleaddict.Com. Sorry can't seem to paste the full url on this tablet.