Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Wheelies: Dyna low rider FXDLI 2005 (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/1288017-wheelies-dyna-low-rider-fxdli-2005-a.html)

remloos 06-12-2019 02:16 PM

Wheelies: Dyna low rider FXDLI 2005
 
Hi Guys!

I just bought my first Harley Davidson Dyna Low Rider FXDLI (2005). As most of you might know the bike has an 88ci engine. I was wondering if its possible to pull a wheelie. I have read a bunch of stuff about pulling wheelies, but never with an FXDLI (2005) and most of the time a bigger engine... I do find videos of people doing wheelies with an FXDLI starting from 2006. I know that the frame is different after 2005.

My question is... Did I buy a shit bike to do crazy stuff with (wheelies, drifting, etc.), should I have bought a FXDX, FXR, etc. instead? Also because the frame is different... If not, what can I do to make my setup better to pull it off, or what tips and tricks can you give me?

Greetings from the Netherlands. Thanks!

Dyna100 06-12-2019 02:56 PM

I think most of the guys doing wheelies have converted to chain drive. I know a couple people who snapped belts doing/attempting wheelies.

DynaKid94 06-12-2019 03:13 PM

Had an 04 wide glide with a belt and stock 88ci and it would wheelie. Chain drive conversion would definitely help, you'll want to look at suspension upgrades as well - a lot of the stunt guys are running taller than stock shocks and 2" over front forks with upgraded internals. Clutch upgrades wouldn't hurt - better-than-stock plates, heavier spring, etc...

Most of all work on technique. You can have a bike with all the goodies on it but won't mean squat if you're trying to do it wrong. You've got a good starting point for a stunt bike IMO.

Iceman24 06-12-2019 04:12 PM

Wheelies are for wussies, now...jumping buses - that's the ticket! ;) :D

NORTY FLATZ 06-12-2019 04:23 PM

Doubt the Dyna was designed for wheelies, but if you throw enough money at it....

NORTY FLATZ 06-12-2019 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wheelie time!

NORTY FLATZ 06-12-2019 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Wheelies are for wussies, now...jumping buses - that's the ticket! ;) :D

Hard to find some many buses together. However, this old man still needs to practice...

remloos 06-13-2019 06:01 AM


Originally Posted by DynaKid94 (Post 18324826)
Had an 04 wide glide with a belt and stock 88ci and it would wheelie. Chain drive conversion would definitely help, you'll want to look at suspension upgrades as well - a lot of the stunt guys are running taller than stock shocks and 2" over front forks with upgraded internals. Clutch upgrades wouldn't hurt - better-than-stock plates, heavier spring, etc...

Most of all work on technique. You can have a bike with all the goodies on it but won't mean squat if you're trying to do it wrong. You've got a good starting point for a stunt bike IMO.

Thank you, this is helpful. If I understand you correctly the 88ci and different frame is not an issue. Good to know.

NORTY FLATZ 06-13-2019 09:11 PM

OK, bear in mind that when wheelies are done on Harleys, that the weight is so low, you must really rotate the bike to get it to the balance point. This means you'll have the oil pooling in the rear of the sump, The oil pick-up is likely going to be cavitating. That means you'll be stressing the engine with ZERO oil pressure. Well, just so you know. "Popping" a short wheelie? No problem. Riding a long wheelie, where you go thru all 6 gears? That's another story.

remloos 06-14-2019 08:04 AM


Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ (Post 18328353)
OK, bear in mind that when wheelies are done on Harleys, that the weight is so low, you must really rotate the bike to get it to the balance point. This means you'll have the oil pooling in the rear of the sump, The oil pick-up is likely going to be cavitating. That means you'll be stressing the engine with ZERO oil pressure. Well, just so you know. "Popping" a short wheelie? No problem. Riding a long wheelie, where you go thru all 6 gears? That's another story.

Interesting info. However, if this is the case, how come that all the other stunt riders wheelie for miles and miles.... Did they change something to the bike, to make sure oil keeps running in the engine?

ps: I only have 5 gears not 6 ;)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 AM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands