Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Wheelies: Dyna low rider FXDLI 2005 (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/1288017-wheelies-dyna-low-rider-fxdli-2005-a.html)

remloos 06-12-2019 02:16 PM

Wheelies: Dyna low rider FXDLI 2005

Hi Guys!

I just bought my first Harley Davidson Dyna Low Rider FXDLI (2005). As most of you might know the bike has an 88ci engine. I was wondering if its possible to pull a wheelie. I have read a bunch of stuff about pulling wheelies, but never with an FXDLI (2005) and most of the time a bigger engine... I do find videos of people doing wheelies with an FXDLI starting from 2006. I know that the frame is different after 2005.

My question is... Did I buy a shit bike to do crazy stuff with (wheelies, drifting, etc.), should I have bought a FXDX, FXR, etc. instead? Also because the frame is different... If not, what can I do to make my setup better to pull it off, or what tips and tricks can you give me?

Greetings from the Netherlands. Thanks!

Dyna100 06-12-2019 02:56 PM

I think most of the guys doing wheelies have converted to chain drive. I know a couple people who snapped belts doing/attempting wheelies.

DynaKid94 06-12-2019 03:13 PM

Had an 04 wide glide with a belt and stock 88ci and it would wheelie. Chain drive conversion would definitely help, you'll want to look at suspension upgrades as well - a lot of the stunt guys are running taller than stock shocks and 2" over front forks with upgraded internals. Clutch upgrades wouldn't hurt - better-than-stock plates, heavier spring, etc...

Most of all work on technique. You can have a bike with all the goodies on it but won't mean squat if you're trying to do it wrong. You've got a good starting point for a stunt bike IMO.

Iceman24 06-12-2019 04:12 PM

Wheelies are for wussies, now...jumping buses - that's the ticket! ;) :D

NORTY FLATZ 06-12-2019 04:23 PM

Doubt the Dyna was designed for wheelies, but if you throw enough money at it....

NORTY FLATZ 06-12-2019 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wheelie time!

NORTY FLATZ 06-12-2019 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Wheelies are for wussies, now...jumping buses - that's the ticket! ;) :D

Hard to find some many buses together. However, this old man still needs to practice...

remloos 06-13-2019 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by DynaKid94 (Post 18324826)
Had an 04 wide glide with a belt and stock 88ci and it would wheelie. Chain drive conversion would definitely help, you'll want to look at suspension upgrades as well - a lot of the stunt guys are running taller than stock shocks and 2" over front forks with upgraded internals. Clutch upgrades wouldn't hurt - better-than-stock plates, heavier spring, etc...

Most of all work on technique. You can have a bike with all the goodies on it but won't mean squat if you're trying to do it wrong. You've got a good starting point for a stunt bike IMO.

Thank you, this is helpful. If I understand you correctly the 88ci and different frame is not an issue. Good to know.

NORTY FLATZ 06-13-2019 09:11 PM

OK, bear in mind that when wheelies are done on Harleys, that the weight is so low, you must really rotate the bike to get it to the balance point. This means you'll have the oil pooling in the rear of the sump, The oil pick-up is likely going to be cavitating. That means you'll be stressing the engine with ZERO oil pressure. Well, just so you know. "Popping" a short wheelie? No problem. Riding a long wheelie, where you go thru all 6 gears? That's another story.

remloos 06-14-2019 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ (Post 18328353)
OK, bear in mind that when wheelies are done on Harleys, that the weight is so low, you must really rotate the bike to get it to the balance point. This means you'll have the oil pooling in the rear of the sump, The oil pick-up is likely going to be cavitating. That means you'll be stressing the engine with ZERO oil pressure. Well, just so you know. "Popping" a short wheelie? No problem. Riding a long wheelie, where you go thru all 6 gears? That's another story.

Interesting info. However, if this is the case, how come that all the other stunt riders wheelie for miles and miles.... Did they change something to the bike, to make sure oil keeps running in the engine?

ps: I only have 5 gears not 6 ;)

DynaKid94 06-14-2019 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by remloos (Post 18328979)
Interesting info. However, if this is the case, how come that all the other stunt riders wheelie for miles and miles.... Did they change something to the bike, to make sure oil keeps running in the engine?

I believe you can modify the pickup tube location, or I think there are some companies that sell oil pans designed for this with baffles that stop all the oil from going to the back of the pan, don't know them off the top of my head but with a little digging you should be able to find them.

That being said I think you'll be fine unless you plan on going for miles and miles...

petefwa 06-18-2019 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by remloos (Post 18328979)

Nothing needs changing, it wont suck air with the standard setup.

remloos 06-19-2019 04:49 AM

Thanks

egrand 06-19-2019 06:01 AM

If you want to do a wheelie get a Sportster.

Sorce 06-19-2019 06:19 AM

I found a couple instructionals on the tube.

Get it!

Sorce

DynaKid94 06-19-2019 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by egrand (Post 18340175)
If you want to do a wheelie get a Sportster.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...048fd9ed51.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...533ad95ab2.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...8fb1b4cb75.jpg

remloos 06-19-2019 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sorce (Post 18340215)
I found a couple instructionals on the tube.
https://youtu.be/rodhf4-r7F8

Get it!

Sorce

I've seen them all. Most of them are not 88ci. However I found a bunch of vids (88ci) on insta. I got this ;)

SixDD 06-19-2019 12:34 PM

Never even tried it on the Dyna - I would consider that abusive to the poor thing. Now my Kaw will wheelie effortlessly just give it some throttle, but I still don't do it. Wheelies have never been a thing I felt a desire to do.

JUICEBOX6257 06-19-2019 12:36 PM

You can wheelie anything with the correct sprocket set up, obviously you will lose all your top end and also run through the gears more often. I have a ZX10r to ride special ed, I bought a Harley to finally relax.

SixDD 06-19-2019 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by JUICEBOX6257 (Post 18341101)
I have a ZX10r to ride special ed.

Harder to keep the front end on that thing down than to make it wheelie.

F86 06-19-2019 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by SixDD (Post 18341183)
Harder to keep the front end on that thing down than to make it wheelie.

Ditto with my Speed Triple... But I NEVER intend to raise the wheel. But it does happen under hard acceleration sometimes. Short wheelbase, high center of gravity, relatively torquey...

remloos 06-20-2019 03:51 AM

I understand that it works for sport bikes, had a few myself.. that's not the question. On a harley it just looks badass....

NORTY FLATZ 06-20-2019 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by F86
Ditto with my Speed Triple... But I NEVER intend to raise the wheel. But it does happen under hard acceleration sometimes. Short wheelbase, high center of gravity, relatively torquey...

The people at "Wheelie University" use Triumph Speed Triples in their wheelie training classes.

How many here knew there actually is, a Wheelie University?
Yes, there really is.
Now, if you want to work on "wheelies/jumps & slides" there's a school for that too, at www.motoventures.com
Look for "WJ&S" classes.

remloos 06-27-2019 03:15 AM

FYI

petefwa 06-27-2019 07:53 AM

Keep in mind that if you don't put it down gently you'll eventually break the front engine mount casting too.

DynaKid94 06-27-2019 07:20 PM

^For that reason I'd recommend picking up something like this:

https://trackerdie.com/products/dyna-case-saver

I have one of the "original landing pads" on my FXDL, wouldn't mind grabbing one of these for my FXDXT. Wouldn't consider this a fail safe by any means but it certainly reduces the odds of breaking your case mounts.

*Note - not affiliated with the above company, just think it's a cool product...

petefwa 06-28-2019 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by DynaKid94 (Post 18361103)

I have one of the "original landing pads" on my FXDL, wouldn't mind grabbing one of these for my FXDXT. Wouldn't consider this a fail safe by any means but it certainly reduces the odds of breaking your case mounts.

*Note - not affiliated with the above company, just think it's a cool product...

Very cool indeed!
Good for some oneupmanship when it comes to claiming you have every accessory imaginable on your bike too.

remloos 06-28-2019 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by DynaKid94 (Post 18361103)

Yes, good tip. The guy in the video did the same thing.

WEnis_TV 07-03-2019 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by remloos (Post 18359172)

Hey that’s me! If you have any questions I’ll help as much as I can man. I’m still in the process of setting mine up. All I’ve done is exhaust, intake, front motor mount, case saver, cage, legend suspension in the rear, clutch lever, and risers and bars.

crusader1xxx 07-03-2019 09:21 PM

To each their own...but I never understood the thought process of doing stunts on a Harley.....you guys must have a lot of money or the bikes are just cheaper where your at...cause to me they are to dam expensive to abuse....and what you have to put into them to get them there....

WEnis_TV 07-03-2019 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by crusader1xxx (Post 18374985)
To each their own...but I never understood the thought process of doing stunts on a Harley.....you guys must have a lot of money or the bikes are just cheaper where your at...cause to me they are to dam expensive to abuse....and what you have to put into them to get them there....

Its just money man... you’re right it is expensive as sh*t!!! But I love it. I’ve been riding sport bikes for the past 10 years on and off and it was time to start over on something different. It has definitely re lit the fire so until I go broke this is what I’ll be doing!

remloos 07-04-2019 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by WEnis_TV (Post 18374871)
Hey that’s me! If you have any questions I’ll help as much as I can man. I’m still in the process of setting mine up. All I’ve done is exhaust, intake, front motor mount, case saver, cage, legend suspension in the rear, clutch lever, and risers and bars.

That's funny man. Thank you. You have changed a lot already, the belt didn't break yet? ;) I gotta change a whole lot still, I bought her like this:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...e02b3a11ba.png

I just bought a step-up Saddlemen seat. The S&S Gear Drive is next and after that the bars.. For now she still is on a ship to the Netherlands, she should be here soon :)

WEnis_TV 07-08-2019 01:08 PM

Still rockin the belt man!!! I bought mine stock. just takes a little money and time lol

WEnis_TV 07-08-2019 01:10 PM

dynasss ftw!!!!