Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary Chain Tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 06:37 PM
dubepj
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary Chain Tensioner

I recently acquired a 2013 Dyna Switchback with about 8000 miles. I read that the primary chain tensioner can be problematic with over tensioning the primary chain. Would you guys recommend changing it out with an aftermarket one. If I do this will it also help solve problems with the compensator sprocket? Or are the two not related at all?? No problems with anything at the moment but looking to prevent issues down the road. (Pun Intended).
Thanks for your advice.

Old 06-16-2019, 07:13 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,285 Likes on 2,350 Posts

There are a couple of choices out there. one from Baker that you have to adjust manually periodically and another from Hayden that uses a two spring setup that absorbs the flex of the primary chain and keeps it in proper tension. I have Hayden units on my Dynas and one on my '13 Road Glide.

The following 2 users liked this post by seniorsuperglideE8:
crusader1xxx (06-18-2019), slippin_jimmy (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 07:19 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

I installed a Hayden, put about 7000 miles on it and changed it out for a Baker. I like the Baker better.

But yes, the stock tensioner can over-tighten your primary chain, which will lead to fractured clutch hub splines.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:29 AM
slippin_jimmy
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
There are a couple of choices out there. one from Baker that you have to adjust manually periodically and another from Hayden that uses a two spring setup that absorbs the flex of the primary chain and keeps it in proper tension. I have Hayden units on my Dynas and one on my '13 Road Glide.
#1 on the Hayden. I just checked it out yesterday after a year of service and about 5k. Shoe looked great. Chain is right where it needs to be. Best bang for the buck.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:41 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by dubepj
I recently acquired a 2013 Dyna Switchback with about 8000 miles. I read that the primary chain tensioner can be problematic with over tensioning the primary chain. Would you guys recommend changing it out with an aftermarket one. If I do this will it also help solve problems with the compensator sprocket? Or are the two not related at all?? No problems with anything at the moment but looking to prevent issues down the road. (Pun Intended).
Thanks for your advice.
They are two separate potential issues. Yes you would probably be well served to replace the tensioner with an aftermarket unit, or weld the stock one at the correct tension. Either the Hayden or Baker are quality units, I personally use the Hayden.

As far as the Compensator, I can't remember when they switched to the newest version of the SE Compensator with the oiling deflector molded into the outer primary cover, but I think it was around 13ish. Someone else will chime in. If you already have that version, you will likely be good to go for quite some time. If you have the older version you can upgrade it whenever you start to have issues, either to the newest SE unit that is pretty damn good, or you can go Baker with this as well, or you could do a compensator delete sprocket. Lastly you could look into a Compensaver that you could install now, and likely make your compensator last for quite some time, even if it isn't the latest unit.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:08 AM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Another vote for the Hayden. There are videos of them in action with the primary cover off and it’s plain to see that chain tension is never constant. The chain goes slack and tight depending on acceleration and deceleration. The Hayden provides the proper tension depending on the condition. And a bonus is better shifting.

One thing that that is not mentioned too often is the failure of the inner primary bearing on the twin cam engines with the auto adjusting primary tensioner. That single bearing is handling and supporting tension from both the drive belt and the primary chain often times both working against each other. Going too too tight on either will accelerate the failure of this bearing. The Hayden setup is cheap insurance as well as running the drive belt a bit loose. Ive learned this the hard way on a few bikes so just passing on information.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:58 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,234 Likes on 3,613 Posts

The later 6 speed primary chain tensioners are fine. You are wasting your money replacing it. Hayden really works best for the older 5 speed TCs and EVOs if you don't want to adjust the chain. Some claim that HD adjust gets too tight. I suspect that it may occur if you run the bike in a really cold environment when the chain can have maximum slack.

In others words if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:40 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
The later 6 speed primary chain tensioners are fine. You are wasting your money replacing it. Hayden really works best for the older 5 speed TCs and EVOs if you don't want to adjust the chain. Some claim that HD adjust gets too tight. I suspect that it may occur if you run the bike in a really cold environment when the chain can have maximum slack.

In others words if it ain't broke don't fix it.
I've had the primary off of probably 20 2008 and newer six speed bikes, and all but one were piano string tight, but you are correct, that one was fine.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:25 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,234 Likes on 3,613 Posts

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
I've had the primary off of probably 20 2008 and newer six speed bikes, and all but one were piano string tight, but you are correct, that one was fine.

So the springs under the shoe were completely compressed and the shoe would not move down any more? I've only had a few apart and they were fine.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:40 AM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,013 Likes on 602 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
So the springs under the shoe were completely compressed and the shoe would not move down any more? I've only had a few apart and they were fine.
My 2015 FXDB was also tight when cold, that means warm it up and it gets tighter.

I made my own Hayden style.

Quick Reply: Primary Chain Tensioner