Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell Me I’m Not On Drugs

Old 07-05-2019, 06:55 PM
fxdx1985
Road Master
Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Tell Me I’m Not On Drugs

I’ve got a blown fork seal and I go to this new shop because the normal places I’d go are booked for weeks out. My bike is a 2004 FXDXI. The guys tries to upsell me on getting a Racetech Cartridge set up and I said “no I’m good with the stock cartridge set up at this point” . He tells me my bike doesn’t have cartridges. I said yes they do bro....it’s an FXDX...superglide sport with sport suspension.

Guy says nah man, it’s a spring set up. Ok...then what are these adjuster ***** for on top and the bottom? He says maybe someone threw some after market set up in there because the only stock model with cartridges was a 41mm set up.

He then tells me there wouldn’t be fork fluid leaking IF it was a cartridge because the cartridges have nitrogen inside and not fluid. He also was asking if I’d want stock length Racetech parts. I told him no, FXDX is +2. So again, he tells me it has to be aftermarket becuse the length is wrong.

Most of you say, turn your tail and leave, which I was tempted to, but I saw a few old guys in the back with solid beards and gray hair, so I decided to leave it, just for the satisfaction of the phone call tomorrow when they crack into it and see cartridges.

Old 07-05-2019, 07:07 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

He's an idiot....Find a shop with a mechanic that actually knows what he's talking about.

The following 3 users liked this post by Greezey Rider:
Campy Roadie (07-06-2019), fxdx1985 (07-05-2019), Wormjello (07-06-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 07:10 PM
fxdx1985
Road Master

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
He's an idiot....Find a shop with a mechanic that actually knows what he's talking about.
Yeah it was ****ing ridiculous. I was literally laughing in the guy’s face. I’m sure most say I should’ve left, but somehow the sweet victory of hearing him eat his words is going to be great. It’s either going to be “sorry I had no idea what I was talking about” or “you were right”.

Im thinking (or hoping) he was just the front desk guy because he was up front and there were some greasy biker dudes in the back working on bikes. Idk maybe he was messing with me or trying to sell me some bull **** parts, but I was shocked.

Last edited by fxdx1985; 07-05-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:29 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdx1985
I’m sure most say I should’ve left, but somehow the sweet victory of hearing him eat his words is going to be great. It’s either going to be “sorry I had no idea what I was talking about” or “you were right”.
The problem with this "sweet victory" is that it won't get them any closer to understanding your suspension. Do you really want your forks being taken apart and put back together (hopefully) by someone who really doesn't understand how they work? There are nuances to be aware of... Just one example: If the rebound adjusters are in the wrong position when reassembled, you'll lose almost the full range if adjustability. Another example: Damper rod suspensions often are improved with heavier oil... The opposite is often true with these cartridges. I would go to a shop familiar with Showa cartridges... Almost the same ones were used in tons of other bikes.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:31 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 246 Likes on 193 Posts

Nope they are going to screw your bike up...learn to do it yourself....

The following users liked this post:
Vec (07-06-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 08:43 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 967 Likes on 730 Posts

No way I would leave it there. Old guys with beards is no guarantee they know what they're doing. Hope it gets fixed right, but if not at least you'll have your moral victory.

The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (07-08-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 08:46 PM
Pylot7
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I went to my local dealer a week ago, called ahead, needed the copper packing washer for the hex bolt that secures the fork internals at the bottom.

The parts fellow just could not figure it out. Was accusing me of not knowing what I was asking. Marooon. I showed him the part on his diagram, he kept telling me it was something else.

I left.

Got the dam washers at another dealer.

Hopefully you have mechanics there who are honest fellows.

To each their own and I know wrenching is not for everyone but my wife and I pulled my forks off and put cartridges in em and it just took us a few hours. My seals were in fine shape so I didn't replace them.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:06 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,991 Likes on 1,997 Posts

I'm an old guy with a sweet beard and I can't even put my gas cap on with out cross threading it. But seriously maybe they had the dumb guy out front because ...well he's the dumb guy and he's probably better in front than out back working on bikes. Trust in the beard.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:23 PM
fxdx1985
Road Master

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
I'm an old guy with a sweet beard and I can't even put my gas cap on with out cross threading it. But seriously maybe they had the dumb guy out front because ...well he's the dumb guy and he's probably better in front than out back working on bikes. Trust in the beard.
Haha, that’s what I’m hoping for. I’ve done regular springs myself, easy drain plug at the bottom and fluid change deal. I don’t have the time to tackle it this weekend and it’s my daily commuter for work. Fluid is blasting out getting all over my Air Cleaner Cover, exhaust and pants. Need it done ASAP so I’m putting my faith in this place.

They either finish it up right or crack it open and say they don’t know what they’re doing and call me to come pick it up.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:24 PM
springers4ever
Road Master
Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by fxdx1985
I’ve got a blown fork seal and I go to this new shop because the normal places I’d go are booked for weeks out. My bike is a 2004 FXDXI. The guys tries to upsell me on getting a Racetech Cartridge set up and I said “no I’m good with the stock cartridge set up at this point” . He tells me my bike doesn’t have cartridges. I said yes they do bro....it’s an FXDX...superglide sport with sport suspension.

Guy says nah man, it’s a spring set up. Ok...then what are these adjuster ***** for on top and the bottom? He says maybe someone threw some after market set up in there because the only stock model with cartridges was a 41mm set up.

He then tells me there wouldn’t be fork fluid leaking IF it was a cartridge because the cartridges have nitrogen inside and not fluid. He also was asking if I’d want stock length Racetech parts. I told him no, FXDX is +2. So again, he tells me it has to be aftermarket becuse the length is wrong.

Most of you say, turn your tail and leave, which I was tempted to, but I saw a few old guys in the back with solid beards and gray hair, so I decided to leave it, just for the satisfaction of the phone call tomorrow when they crack into it and see cartridges.
Well...........we believe you must have been on something !!!....to argue with stupid to the point they win and you left your bike with them !!!
( just cause you got a good one , don't mean you have to do all of it ...put it out about haft way next time !!!)

good luck !!!
we're with the ones stated above ...Learn to do it yourself !!! (then do the other haft !!!)

Last edited by springers4ever; 07-05-2019 at 09:27 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tell Me I’m Not On Drugs