Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   99 FXDS wont idle (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/1292152-99-fxds-wont-idle.html)

james69 07-11-2019 06:07 PM

99 FXDS wont idle

Hey Guys,

I am in a position to acquire a 1999 Dyna FXDS for $5400 from a seller who has owned the bike since he bought it new in 99'. The bike has 4000 miles on it and is really clean. However when I went to check it out and when he started it it had a rough time idling. it will idle for 10-15 sec or so then die. Seems like it runs fine on the choke and giving it a twist of the throttle feels good. The owner hasn't registered it since 2015 however he has said he has started it every once in awhile to let it run. On start up once warm I am used to my evo firing up right away, this bike seemed to need to be cranked a few times over.

I am not new to carb bikes, but it seems a little risky to purchase a bike like this even though the bike is so low miles and clean with only 1 owner. I would hate to miss out on this deal to just a simple carb clean/rebuild. Would these symptoms come from anything else wrong with the bike? I have only ever owned evo sportsters. So I am completely new to the twin cam engine. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

John CC 07-11-2019 06:34 PM

If it hasn't been ridden since 2015 it's almost a sure bet the carb needs cleaning. Offer him $5000 and take a chance. It's worth a lot more.

seniorsuperglideE8 07-11-2019 07:31 PM

Sounds like the carb could use a cleaning , easy enough. A concern is the outer cam bearings, HD had a problem with one of them coming apart and of course they need to be replaced. Research this, it's beneficial.

james69 07-11-2019 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8 (Post 18393118)
Sounds like the carb could use a cleaning , easy enough. A concern is the outer cam bearings, HD had a problem with one of them coming apart and of course they need to be replaced. Research this, it's beneficial.

I didnt know about this, thanks for that info, looking into it now!

Rsbenden 07-11-2019 09:27 PM

4k I'd roll the dice,setting as long as it has n grams riding it it prolly need fresh gas n ran hard to get the gunk out of it. I bought a bike similar cuz it was too good to pass that's was ridden seldom n it took me a few good hard runs over several days to get it cleaned out. good luck sounds like a good buy I'd offer 5k

crusader1xxx 07-11-2019 09:35 PM

Bikes that sit are worse then bikes that have mileage, depending on how the mileage is put on.

plan on replacing all fluids ( cause starting the bike once in a while “to let it run” is the worst thing you can do to a motor) including brake fluid, probably a set of tires...cables, brake callipers will need cleaning possibly even rebuilt....

you have your work cut out for you...