Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Solo touring seat for tall and long legged rider (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/1292235-solo-touring-seat-for-tall-and-long-legged-rider.html)

rossWG 07-12-2019 11:46 AM

Solo touring seat for tall and long legged rider

Seen a few comments, and recommendations for touring solo seats, but they all appear to come with a caveat that they move the rider forward, especially with a back rest, or they are a dual

but I want to go the other way if possible, and be able to spend some long days in the saddle. I had a corbin, but over a period of time, it just became unbearable to ride with beyond an hour. i'm 6' 4", 34" leg, 255 lbs, with a bony rear and some old hips

i have extended forward controls, but still feel my knees are too high

any comments to offer from the taller guys here would be appreciated

Rt13MFer 07-12-2019 01:44 PM

Le Pera makes a few of their seats in a "Daddy Long Legs" style that sits you back 2". You might want to call or email them because the seat I wanted was not in their online catalog, so I called them and they custom made the one that I wanted. Turned out to be a very nice seat.

rossWG 07-12-2019 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Rt13MFer (Post 18394883)
Le Pera makes a few of their seats in a "Daddy Long Legs" style that sits you back 2". You might want to call or email them because the seat I wanted was not in their online catalog, so I called them and they custom made the one that I wanted. Turned out to be a very nice seat.

thanks for that. i've just sent them an email

dn.bnntt 07-18-2019 09:36 AM

We're in the same boat on this one (6'6", 250 lbs, 36" inseam, bony ass etc.) and I spent tons of time doing the search when I got my FXDLS a couple years ago. What it comes down to is because of the mounts for a solo in the fender you can only go so far back without sacrificing the support in the seat. I ended up going with a Le Pera Daytona DLL seat because it was the one that had the smallest profile on the passenger spot. But if you want to ride all day in comfort, it might be better to go with the Maverick or one of the more substantial seats because the Daytona isn't exactly a "touring" seat. I had a Maverick DLL with the backrest on my FLTRXS though and loved it for long days of 500 mile plus with no issue.

rossWG 07-19-2019 01:07 AM

i should have replied to say that La Pera, responded to my email really fast. i was quite impressed.

Its good to be told, especially quickly, even if its not you want to hear. their reply was

"Thank you for your e-mail. We do not offer a Daddy Long Legs Solo. Unfortunately, solo seats are just not long enough to be able to sit you as far back as a Daddy Long Legs. To get the furthest back, it would be best to stick with a Daddy Long Legs style. The solos that will sit you the furthest back are the Streaker or Bare Bones Solo since they have the least amount of lower lumbar support limiting you. You may get about ¾” further back"

fxdup 07-19-2019 05:49 AM

The LePera Daytona and Maverick (2up) both come in Daddy Long Legs version. (def solves the long leg issue)

I have the Daytona, but for longer rides I think the Maverick would be more comfy.

Rt13MFer 07-19-2019 06:02 AM

I have the DDL Maverick and Im real happy with it. It actually seems a bit wider than the standard Maverick and offers good support in the lower back area. I have a '98 Dyna and I also recently installed a set of late model (not sure of the cut off date) stock Dyna mid controls that are extended 2" forward. Between that and the DDL seat Ive given my long and broken down legs 4" of extra room without converting to forward controls, which I didnt want to do.