Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   RWD FXRT Fairing Install Assistance (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/1292336-rwd-fxrt-fairing-install-assistance.html)

fxdx1985 07-13-2019 01:02 AM

RWD FXRT Fairing Install Assistance

My sideplates on my brackets look a little different than what’s on the official RWD YouTube install video, (which is on a 2011). It’s also also annoying that you now HAVE to get a 7” headlight, when the video says you can reuse your stock 5 3/4, and there’s no clear cover for the headlight, but I digress...

Anyway, on an 04 Dyna, on the frame/headlight/neck mount, where does the rear-most top bolt go? Am I supposed to install on the front gas tank bolt or just float behind the steering neck on top of the frame. I can’t believe that these expensive parts have zero instructions.

Im messing with it and the bolt supplied does not fit through the front gas tank bolt hole, but mounted behind the steering stem, my riser bolts hit the bracket and I can’t turn the bars....very frustrating. My sideplates also do not have a large cut out for the wiring coming out of the side of the frame like the newer brackets do.

Fxdt 03-09-2020 11:05 PM

Hey buddy, did you ever find an answer to this? I'm also trying to fit one up on an 04 dyna and am having the exact same issue

fxdx1985 03-09-2020 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Fxdt (Post 18935603)
Hey buddy, did you ever find an answer to this? I'm also trying to fit one up on an 04 dyna and am having the exact same issue

Yeah, I ran a longer bolt through the tank mounting point and ran the bracket there. Not sure if it’s “by the book” but it worked and looked fine to me.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...90c08b6cf.jpeg

Fxdt 03-09-2020 11:21 PM

That's what I was thinking about doing. Any more clearance issues with the riser bolts after doing that? And were you able to turn the bars full lock?

fxdx1985 03-10-2020 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Fxdt (Post 18935620)
That's what I was thinking about doing. Any more clearance issues with the riser bolts after doing that? And were you able to turn the bars full lock?

I got things situated a little better, never hit full lock but got like 98% there. Obviously you never turn the bars that sharply while riding so it’s just the backing up to park on a curb situation. You just have to align yourself correctly and it becomes second nature. You now the bike and you proceed accordingly.

Fxdt 04-07-2020 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by fxdx1985 (Post 18937248)
I got things situated a little better, never hit full lock but got like 98% there. Obviously you never turn the bars that sharply while riding so it’s just the backing up to park on a curb situation. You just have to align yourself correctly and it becomes second nature. You now the bike and you proceed accordingly.

hey man one more question on the fairing, did you have to trim it at all to clear the tank?

fxdx1985 04-07-2020 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Fxdt (Post 19015266)
hey man one more question on the fairing, did you have to trim it at all to clear the tank?

I did not, I know some have had to. My bike is an 04 FXDX so its got the narrower front end and skinnier tank. Might play a factor.

Fxdt 04-07-2020 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by fxdx1985 (Post 19015285)
I did not, I know some have had to. My bike is an 04 FXDX so its got the narrower front end and skinnier tank. Might play a factor.

I got on 04 fxd, do you know if the tank is the same by chance?

fxdx1985 04-07-2020 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Fxdt (Post 19015483)
I got on 04 fxd, do you know if the tank is the same by chance?

It is the same. I think just some of the newer Dyna guys with Fat Bob style tanks were having some issue, but I’ve only heard of a couple.