Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   FXDF ECM Problems (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/1379224-fxdf-ecm-problems.html)

bulldog5874 08-08-2021 09:26 AM

FXDF ECM Problems

I got 99 problems and a bad ECM might be one of them according to my local HD dealer. I've got a 2009 FXDF with 4,000 mi on it. I picked it up in April with 2, 000mi on the clock. I dropped it off saturday after the front cylinder lost spark, an hour later they called to ask for more diagnostic time. The service advisor said it was looking like a bad ECM. They are going to call me on Tuesday to let me know what their final diag is. Of course this happens 300 mi after I redid the suspension and replaced tires

Has anyone had a their local dealer replace their ECM recently? What was the cost?

I've heard good and bad things about aftermarket ECMs, who has gone this route and what kind of results did you get?

TexasScooterTrash 08-08-2021 11:09 AM

Don't waste yer money on a HD ignition modual. Get a Dynatek TC-88 which is fully adjustable. Put 1 in my Wife's bike a few years ago. Some adjustments on the advance curve and it runs BETTER than before.

nevil 08-08-2021 11:47 AM

Didn't you ask the dealer what a new ECM would cost?
I didn't have one go bad but years ago I installed a TMax tuner. It comes with it's own ECM so you don't use the stock one. Depending how much you have to pay the dealer you should look into the TMax. If the price is even close you will end up with an excellent tuner.

bulldog5874 08-08-2021 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by TexasScooterTrash (Post 20104436)
Don't waste yer money on a HD ignition modual. Get a Dynatek TC-88 which is fully adjustable. Put 1 in my Wife's bike a few years ago. Some adjustments on the advance curve and it runs BETTER than before.

Lol. I'm talking about the engine control module. Not ignition control module. The TC88 does not fit my motorcycle.

bulldog5874 08-08-2021 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by nevil (Post 20104510)
Didn't you ask the dealer what a new ECM would cost?
I didn't have one go bad but years ago I installed a TMax tuner. It comes with it's own ECM so you don't use the stock one. Depending how much you have to pay the dealer you should look into the TMax. If the price is even close you will end up with an excellent tuner.

They haven't finished diagnosing it yet. And that's why I have not asked how much the ECM is. What's the best place to get a ThunderMax ECM?

TexasScooterTrash 08-08-2021 08:44 PM

"Lol. I'm talking about the engine control module. Not ignition control module. The TC88 does not fit my motorcycle."

I am not a mind reader. If ya gave a little info, like EFI or CV-40 would have been very helpful.

bulldog5874 08-09-2021 09:06 AM

" I am not a mind reader. If ya gave a little info, like EFI or CV-40 would have been very helpful."

​​​​I specifically said ECM several times.... and I also mentioned that it is a 2009 FXDF. Harley didn't offer a carbureted model that year.

bulldog5874 08-10-2021 11:03 AM

Advisor called me... It was a bad injector. The technician had a new takeoff part, so they only charged me for the 2 hours diag. This dealer just scored some points with me😀.

Hal64hd 08-10-2021 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by TexasScooterTrash (Post 20104436)

His bike does not have a "Ignition module" it is fuel injected. Thanks for playing

Diag time seems a little excessive, seeing how a bad injector would have set a injector code to follow. Along with having the ability to cycle individual systems with the KOEO through the diagnostic tool that they use.

bulldog5874 08-10-2021 01:31 PM

"Diag time seems a little excessive, seeing how a bad injector would have set a injector code to follow. Along with having the ability to cycle individual systems with the KOEO through the diagnostic tool that they use"

Well it didn't set a code. An injector can go bad without setting a circuit code. I'm okay with the diag especially since they didn't get greedy and charge me labor to replace the injector or charge me for the actual part... But hey thanks for playing.