Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short riders on Dynas

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 10:18 AM
jtees
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Short riders on Dynas

I'm 5'5' and ride a SG. All I did was use Tamarac (TMW)shock relocators that lowered the bike 1 3/4' kept the same ride. I have mid and highway pegs for the long trips.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:33 PM
cormech
Advanced

I'm 5'7" and can flat foot my street bob. It surprised me when I sat on it and was able to do that as I had only looked at soft tails beofore seeing the street bob.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:23 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 5'6" with a 30" inseam (ok, maybe 29" on a good day) andmy '07Low Rider fit like a glove. On the other hand, I found the shortened suspension a little harsh. I can still flat foot an FXD and with it having a "normal" suspension, it feels significantly better. But the bottom line is that an Dyna - especially one equipped with mid-mount controls, should be no problem for shorter riders.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:43 AM
black dyna
Tourer

i got a harley reach seat like new for sale was only on for a month, fits 06-07 dynas not wide glide.100 plus shiping.
i went with the touring seat and low shocks.

i just put it in the for sale forum

Old 08-09-2007, 12:24 PM
turtlebug
Cruiser

I'm 5'3" and moved up from a sportster to a 2000 Low Rider. I lowered the front and back and have a sundowner seat on it....Love it.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member

5' 6 1/2, 29 inch inseam. The only change I made to the Low Rider was pull the handlebars back some. After a lot of back and forth I went ahead andadded forwards. I was getting a lot of cramps in my hips. The forwardswork fine, feel lots better than the mids.
No changes to the Ultra except extensions on the highway pegs and thicker (vibram bottom) boots. The Ultra is right at the limit, just barely flat footed with the new boots. Probably should lower it but 7000 miles later its fine. For both bike is all in the balance I think more than anything.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:07 PM
tmworks
Intermediate

Maybe it's not the proper place to ask this but, Hey, jtees, got any side view pictures of your bike. I'd like to add them to my web page.

TMW

Old 08-23-2007, 05:34 PM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member

My brother is a little shorter then me,he's about 5'7" and someone told him to just get a pair of boots with thicker soles and heels..he did and it worked for him.I know it sounds too easy and other adjustments are probably in order but ..what the hell..every little bit helps.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:57 PM
joe297
Tourer

I'm 5' 6" with a 29" inseam. I can flat foot my '06 Street Bob most of the time with the stock 12" rear shocks. But I'm right at the limit. So I bought a set of 11" MB shocks and a set of 11.5" Progressive 440 shocks for my bike.

Both sets of shocks lowered the bike enough to make parking and backing up a breeze. But the tradeoff was a much firmer ride which doesn't work very well with the pothole-infested roads here in PA. At times I'd have to get up on the mid-mount pegs (like riding a dirt bike) for the larger bumps or the jolt would launch me up off the seat! If you live in an area with good roads then both brands of shocks do a great job of soaking up the smaller bumps. Another consideration is that if you have large diameter pipes like my Rush Slip-ons, the 11" shocks may cause them to scrape occasionally around corners. This is also true if the pipes are longer since the downward slope will bring them closer to the ground.

With the poor road conditions around here I'm now back to using the stock 12" Harley shocks. The bike is not as easy to back up. But the ride quality is surprisingly good provided you take the time to set the preload on the shocks to match the weight your carrying on the bike (solo vs 2-up, luggage, etc). I may give the 11.5" Progressives another try once I buy a set of normal springs for them (mine are the HD version).

ORIGINAL: stevieg

Been seeing all these threads re: Sportster vs. Dyna and people "moving up". I've had a Sportster and in the process of buying a Streetbob. I'm a compact (but powerful!) 5'4" and plan on lowering the bike and putting on a slimmer seat but wanted to know how some of you smaller folks feel about your Dynas, how it handles for you and what modifications you've made because of your height, or lack thereof. Thanks

Old 08-24-2007, 10:15 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those new nightsters would be a nice bike for some of the shorter riders.

Quick Reply: Short riders on Dynas