Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just had my first ride ever on my first bike ever...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 03:19 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Just had my first ride ever on my first bike ever...

EDIT > I know I should take the course!!!!!!!!!!!!!I plan to do that as soon as they start offering them next year (they're all full for the rest of this year.)

Spent 2 hours or so in a huge parking lot, then rode my new (to me) bike back to my house a few blocks away. I didn't stall the bike once! Actually, I took to it like I've been doing it forever. It took a second to get used to the ramp up on the throttle, but changing gears and braking were no problem. Slow turns are kinda tough, though. I'll get it with practice, I'm sure. I did pretty well, but that's definitely an area of focus for me.

Some guys on this forum and in person tried to scare meout oflearning on a big bike like this '92 Super Glide Custom and while I appreciate the advice, I think the "your stupid to learn on a bike like that" comments were uncalled for... It's not THAT hard if you have a head on your shoulders and a feel for how it's done.

Yes, I know there's a difference between riding in a parking lot and out on the road, but I definitely have the feel for it and I think I'll catch on even more very soon.

Thanks for all the advice, guys! I feel like I'm part of the club now. Here's a link to the original thread about the bike > https://www.hdforums.com/m_2254177/tm.htm

I'll clean it up real good tomorrow and take some nice pics to show it off.

Chris

Old 10-06-2007, 03:34 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Just had my first ride ever on my first bike ever...

i'd HIGHLY recommend that you take a MSF or other motorcycle safety course. Regardless on how long one has ridden, you always learn something new. If you are just starting out, this is the best thing you can do to not only ride safe, but learn the basic techniques to enhance your riding skills and enjoyment.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on MSF course.
&nbsp\\;
I started on a big bike also at age 16.&nbsp\\; A 1950 HD Panhead rigid.&nbsp\\; It seemed easy enough then&nbsp\\;but even easier now.
&nbsp\\;

Old 10-06-2007, 03:41 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

+2.. Do you know what countersteering is? Do you know how to brake and steer in a turn at the same time? What do you do when a dog runs into the road?

btw, one of the questions above is a trick question - do you know which?

Old 10-06-2007, 04:13 PM
Dombow77
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+3 It really is a great course, you can neverbe to old or young to learn something new. The class is a great stepping stone into riding on the open road. I been riding dirt bike for years and I took the class and it was great.
Welcome to the family of Dyna brothers and sisters. Ride safe and enjoy.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:14 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

ORIGINAL: nine11c2

+2.. Do you know what countersteering is? Do you know how to brake and steer in a turn at the same time? What do you do when a dog runs into the road?

btw, one of the questions above is a trick question - do you know which?
My point is that I took to it right away and I had a blast, despite people telling me I'm stupid for learning the very basicson this bike. I do plan to take the course and I didn't mean to insinuate I can outride everyone on this forum (did it sound like I was saying that?) So before everyone else replies with "yes, take the course," I know and I will.

So anyway... Yay for me. I had fun and got over the initial scare. It feels good.

Chris

Old 10-06-2007, 04:33 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

No sweat Chris. But some people think "I'm good, I don't need the course". My little brother took my middle brother to get his license. I encouraged him not to do it - once he got his license he'd never take the course. He's riding - in New York City area - and still doesn't know what counter steering is. (btw - little bro learned on his Super Glide and was a rank beginner - first, he's big enought to brute force it up and second, made him ride in parking lots and with me on quiet streets until he took the course).

There is the story of a rider, someplace on the forum, who took the experienced course after riding 20 years. The rest of the course had 3-4 year riders and he puffed out his chest and went "I'm gonna be the best here". He did a panic stop and beat the pants off of everyone else. But the instructor suggested a slight change (more front brake, less rear, he may have slewed a little??) and he went for try two. On this try, he grabbed for as much front as he could - and took a bit longer to stop cause metal on concrete slides a bit more than rubber on concrete....

I took to riding very quickly myself after 15 years away. I'm often asked to ride with the better riders in the area, including some sport bike guys. But the course was very beneficial to me. You don't know what you don't know till you take the course. People are being insistent here because some guys say "I GOT IT" don't bug me. The fact that people are concerned and insistent should tell you how good the course is.

The moral is - the way to ride safe is to say "I'm better at this..." but not "I'm GREAT at this..." and realize you're always gonna learn something. I think we do it because it's not easy like driving a car, it takes precise skill to ride well. But it takes continued dilligence and learning and an easy going ego to keep riding well..

Old 10-06-2007, 04:39 PM
b5mac
Tourer

Don't get too cocky now. One thing is for certain, you will have an accident eventually. Your fault, their fault, no fault -it will happen. Hopefully, it won't be a serious one. I've had five on various bikes in my younger years and with good grace none were too serious. I keep in mind that I can still have more and I watch everyone else on the road like a hawk. Actually, I watch them like they are all out to kill me. Of my five accidents, all but one was someone elses fault. The one that was mine was because I let a back tire go bald and had a blow out at speed. That's a mistake I'll not make again. Ride safe, man!

Old 10-06-2007, 04:42 PM
mojo
Tourer

Congrats on the new ride Chris, ride safe and enjoy the freedom!!!!

Old 10-06-2007, 04:47 PM
twofish
Road Master

I started riding in the 60’s and of course I was self taught.
After moving to Il a couple of years ago I took and passed
a free MSF course at the U of I in Champaign Urban, Il.
Worked for me. Not sure how I made it this long with
all them bad habits I taught myself.?

Quick Reply: Just had my first ride ever on my first bike ever...