Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low rider vs soft tail custom for long trips

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 08:47 AM
2deuce
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: low rider vs soft tail custom for long trips

You would probably like a Deuce.....with a Mustang seat! I use mine for both every day and road trips. My longest days were a 13 hour and an 18 hour (due to heavy rain between SC & OH). Needless to say, your seat & handlebar positions have to be perfect for you to avoid any numbness.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:03 AM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is why I probably will never own a Softail (although the Rocker is tempting).

Old 10-12-2007, 09:05 AM
devils haircut
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has been said here before but..... if you are looking at a dyna this year give SERIOUS consideration to the superglide custom. Looks almost identical to the low with all the chrome and two up seat. If you can stand the silver and chrome motor vs. the black and chrome, and don't mind not having a tach, you will save about $5000!!! That extra money saved would pay for the things you would want to add for touring to the lowrider anyway (ie. detachable windshield, saddlebags, quality aftermarket seat, etc.). I have the standard superglide, but for 08' it seems almost stupidto not get the superglide custom. Just my humble opinion.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:55 AM
NorCalDyna
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta agree with that. The Custom looks like the best deal in the lineup. Personally, I prefer the silver & chrome engine over the black and chrome and I have no use for a tach on a bike that makes it so obvious when it's time to shift. The LR is a very, very nice bike but to me the price just seems too close to that of a Road King, which IMO is even nicer and has more built-in comfort and functionality.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:59 AM
NorCalDyna
Cruiser

Eh, I take that back. I just checked the MSRP's on the HD site and the LR is less than I thought it was. It seems that my local dealership may be charging a premium for these, as the price difference I've seen on their floor is about $1K. It looks like the MSRP's are more like $2-3K apart, though.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Snakum
Cruiser

Having ridden a Softail on a few long runs in Germany, I prefered my WideGlide due the overall feel and the longer pegs/controls. But now I think I'd take my SuperGlide with mids and highway pegs over the WideGlide for long hauls, and the LowRider is very similar, feel-wise.

I put the pegs up for buzzing around town and shift/brake with my heel, then can use the mids on long hauls for a position change ... feet on the mids, feet on the highway pegs, legs draped over the highway pegs. At 6'1" the SuperGlide is perfect for me and the wifey, though she is rather small and that may help. I have a windshield, the hard-side detachable saddlebags, and a huge sissybar pack. The damn thing is a baby Road King ... smooth and and comfy as hell.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:43 AM
ksscooter
Cruiser

I've ridden a LR on several long trips including a six day 2500 mile trip out west. Have a Corbin Gunighter and Lady seat and virtually no butt issues. My only issue is that I useone of those tubular tour pack deals that I strap on the passenger seat and I am getting old enough it is tough getting on the bike becauseI can't swing my leg over like I normally would do. Mr right leg has to go straight out to get it over the seat and every year it gets harder to do. Getting old sucks.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:03 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts

imho I would go with the dyna, put on a docking system on for saddle bags, removable windshield and a spanner wrench to adjust the shocks to your comfort level when loaded up. the dynas shocks are much easier to adjust than the softies, and no I'm not biased.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:20 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The only bike made by H/D that will ride better on a trip than a DYNA is a FL (touring).

A Superglide with a full size windscreen, leather bags and a comfy seat will take you ANYWHERE.

If I could do it again, I'd have gotten an FL, .....Electraglide Standard, and toss in the stereo and cruise control myself, and get a factory H/D tour pack via eBay....., or a Classic or Ultra with the tour pack removable. FL's are simply the best on the highway. A tall guy like me has to put pegs on the crash bar to stretch out, but otherwise, they're #1. DYNA is #2

LOOKS, softail is hard to beat.

~Joe

Old 12-15-2007, 02:54 PM
Professor
Road Captain
Received 190 Likes on 53 Posts

I've ridden ST Louis to Sturgis and back on both and either bike will work. On the low rider, I put a highway bar to get my feet up and plan to do this with my softail. I'm thinking the 19" wheel is a little more stable because you're putting more rubber on the ground.

Quick Reply: low rider vs soft tail custom for long trips