Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Odd noises (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/166626-odd-noises.html)

fatbob422 11-08-2007 02:44 PM

Odd noises

Hi,
2008 Fat Bob
Anyone have any idea why I'm hearing a buzzing sound--kinda like a cicada (locusts for ya'll Texans)--whenever I start travelling faster than 10mph. As the speed picks up, the buzzing goes faster. When I apply the fron breaks, the buzzing goes up a decibel or 2.

Regards,

Rob of the Fat Bob Brotherhood

2007fxdc 11-08-2007 02:45 PM

RE: Odd noises

ORIGINAL: fatbob422

Hi,
2008 Fat Bob
Anyone have any idea why I'm hearing a buzzing sound--kinda like a cicada (locusts for ya'll Texans)--whenever I start travelling faster than 10mph. As the speed picks up, the buzzing goes faster. When I apply the fron breaks, the buzzing goes up a decibel or 2.

Regards,

Yeh, your pipes aren't loud enough. LOL :D

Honestly, I don't know. Interested in hearing the answer though...

Ultra_Bob 11-08-2007 02:53 PM

Look for cicada in front rotor ....

2007fxdc 11-08-2007 02:57 PM

How many miles have you ridden? Has it always done that? Have you check to see if a brake pad is maybe running a wee bit too close to the rotor? The fact that the sound changes when you apply the brakes would make me look there first. I think I've heard the sound you are talking about before when I'm lightly applying my brakes. Kind of a whurring noise?

Headwolf 11-08-2007 02:58 PM

noticed the same buzz when I apply front brake. sound is pads rubbing rotor. If you are hearing it when not applying brake, read on here that sometimes new pads will just touch rotor when brake not applied, could be that is happening on yours, but if it is too loud, I would look into it being a problem of pads not backing off enough and constantly rubbing.

Easton huh! I'm in Reading

DougsDyna 11-08-2007 03:00 PM

ORIGINAL: fatbob422

Hi,
2008 Fat Bob

Regards,

Sounds like the front brake pads.............. probably normal, my 06SG did it and still hums from time to time when brakes are applied.
Brake noise should subside over time. You could upgrade your pads to an aftermarket brand.

DougJ

Ultra_Bob 11-08-2007 04:12 PM

I've noticed some new bikes with noisy discs. I wonder if a little speck of gravel gets cought up in there? I've never had a squeeky disc on any of my Harleys. Good luck.

snackdog 11-08-2007 04:17 PM

On my 2007 street bob I had a buzzing noise which turned out to be the bucket for my headlight. I had the dealer tighten it up and I haven't heard it since.