Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing your own tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:20 AM
TMace
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing your own tires

I am getting ready to replace the front tire on my WideGlide and was wondering if I can do this myself. I am very mech inclined and have changed car and truck tires before using the bead breaking machines etc... I just have a couple of question...Do you need a bead breaking machine on a bike tire? Can you work the tire off the rim without the machine? Thanks in advance!

Old 12-04-2007, 11:56 AM
Hey Joe
Advanced
Default RE: Changing your own tires

I didnt need one for my spoked rims but if you are running tubless you would probably need to use a bead breaker.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:07 PM
roadkillvespa
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi TM

Its very possibleto change your own tyres (uk spelling !) ,I have changed all my own tyres on my road and dirt bikes for all my biking life asI live on an Island with no bike dealerships or tyre depots.

You will generall need to break the bead on most tubed and all tubeless tyres the easiest way to do this is with another bike's sidestand I have always used this method and it has never failed even with 190 section sports bike tyres,obviously it is not possible to do this with the bike which you are changing the tyre on and it helps to have some assistance to begin with but the weight of the bike levered through the side stand does the trick.

Pop the bead onone side then turn the wheel over and do the other push the beads into the well of the rim all round then work one side of the tyre off the rim with tyre levers using plastic rim protectors to save scratchesas you go,I prefer to use shortish levers of about 9in as its all to easy to put to much leverage with long levers and damage something.

Once you have one side free remove the tube by undoing the nut and pushing the valve through (can be tricky),then you can usually remove the tyre by standing the wheel on the tread and pulling the tyre away from the wheel at the top with your hands if it wont budge use a lever put through from the side that is still on the wheel and lever it off,sometimes a squirt of WD40 or similar helps at the point.

Hold the new tyre vertically and push the wheel into the tyre at the bottom it should be possible to get pretty much all of the first side on by hand but again a bit of leverage might be necessary once you have one side on put in the tubeand make sure it is seated well it is best to inflate it slightly then work round with the levers and rim protectos,I do this kneeling on the tyre to hold the sides in with my knees hopefull finishing off near the valve again some lube can help,I tend to use wd40 or silicon spray but Mr Sheen works just as well.

Tubeless tyres need a lot of pressure to seat the bead and it is best to use an airline, removing the valve core lets it infate quickly then once the beads pop into place defate then replace the core and inflate again.

On a tubed tyre on a spoked rimyou need to check the rim tape if it is shredded and you arestuck Duck tape does the job.

I have to confess I find changing tyres physically challenging butstrangely rewarding !

Hope this helps

Old 12-04-2007, 03:04 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,782 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Well put vespa.

If I remember correctly, the British machines I owned
in the 60s and 70s came with tire tools in the toolkit.

Did a few of those on the side of the road.

One or twoother things for TM, I don't think you mentioned.

Some tires have a balance mark that aligns next to the valve.

And of course, pay attention to the directional indicator
cast into the tire.

Have the wheel balanced when you're done.

The procedure is also outlined in the service manual.

I will not pay someone 30 bux to perform this simple operation.

mud

ORIGINAL: roadkillvespa

Hi TM

Its very possibleto change your own tyres (uk spelling !) ,I have changed all my own tyres on my road and dirt bikes for all my biking life asI live on an Island with no bike dealerships or tyre depots.

You will generall need to break the bead on most tubed and all tubeless tyres the easiest way to do this is with another bike's sidestand I have always used this method and it has never failed even with 190 section sports bike tyres,obviously it is not possible to do this with the bike which you are changing the tyre on and it helps to have some assistance to begin with but the weight of the bike levered through the side stand does the trick.

Pop the bead onone side then turn the wheel over and do the other push the beads into the well of the rim all round then work one side of the tyre off the rim with tyre levers using plastic rim protectors to save scratchesas you go,I prefer to use shortish levers of about 9in as its all to easy to put to much leverage with long levers and damage something.

Once you have one side free remove the tube by undoing the nut and pushing the valve through (can be tricky),then you can usually remove the tyre by standing the wheel on the tread and pulling the tyre away from the wheel at the top with your hands if it wont budge use a lever put through from the side that is still on the wheel and lever it off,sometimes a squirt of WD40 or similar helps at the point.

Hold the new tyre vertically and push the wheel into the tyre at the bottom it should be possible to get pretty much all of the first side on by hand but again a bit of leverage might be necessary once you have one side on put in the tubeand make sure it is seated well it is best to inflate it slightly then work round with the levers and rim protectos,I do this kneeling on the tyre to hold the sides in with my knees hopefull finishing off near the valve again some lube can help,I tend to use wd40 or silicon spray but Mr Sheen works just as well.

Tubeless tyres need a lot of pressure to seat the bead and it is best to use an airline, removing the valve core lets it infate quickly then once the beads pop into place defate then replace the core and inflate again.

On a tubed tyre on a spoked rimyou need to check the rim tape if it is shredded and you arestuck Duck tape does the job.

I have to confess I find changing tyres physically challenging butstrangely rewarding !

Hope this helps

Old 12-04-2007, 03:56 PM
TMace
Cruiser

Thanks for the replys! I forgot to mention that it is a tube type tire on a spoked rim. I kind of thought I could get the tire off with out using a machine. I love doing my own work and I hate going to the stealer. Not that they do bad work but it's sometimes a hassle getting the bike in in a timely manner. They are usually backed up and in the case of changing a front tire would definitly be there all day. Then when I get it back it is always dirty. Paw prints, grease etc... Last time I took it to them was to change the rear tire. When I went to pick it up they had greasy paw prints and anti-seize compound all over the rim, shocks, and brake caliper. It just so happened the owners wife was there (I know the owner) so we had a little chat while the service manager cleaned my bike.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:01 PM
jtees
Cruiser

I use C-Clamps to break bead. I have a 15' and 9' tire irons that I use to get the tire over the rim (both on and off). Also like Mud said line the dot up on the tire with the stem on the rim.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:43 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just put the tire in my bench vise and crank it closed until the bead breaks