Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid leaking from clutch cable

Old 12-16-2007, 08:20 AM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Fluid leaking from clutch cable

I noticed a couple of days ago that there is fluid leaking from my clutch cable about midway between the clutch handle and where it goes under the bottom of the bike. There is a rubber boot that covers where the cable connects and swivels. It's leaking there under the boot and running down the cable. It doesn't look like that connection can be tightened in any way. Anyone else seen this problem or know what to do about it? It's an 06 Super Glide.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:56 AM
ss377
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fluid leaking from clutch cable

The only reasoning I can think of is someone overlubercated the clutch cable on your last service. I don't think there is any way primary lube can reach the boot that high. My 2 cents.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:55 AM
sargek
Road Warrior

The clutch cable connects to the transmisison end cover so I am wondering if there is a seal that prevents the tranny oil from getting inside the cable, or if there is even tranny oil in the end cover where the clutch actuating lever is. never had my end cover off. I would imagine there is tranny oil in there because the lever that the cable pulls on probably needs lubrication. Like ss377 said, maybe someone overlubed the cable? That rubber boot covers the cable adjustment nuts. What kind of fluid is leaking? I guess that would depend on what kind is in your tranny: could be engine oil or gear oil (Syn3, Formula+, etc)

Old 12-16-2007, 02:15 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts

typically fluid will seek it's own level and go higher unless under pressure, but then again we're talking harley's here. Sounds like an overserviced cable from the handle end to me too.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:12 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

check for what kind of fluid it is. could even be water if was trapped from recent washing or rain. probably just over lubed as said before. pull the boot up and see what is going on there.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:10 PM
Psycho
Road Master

ORIGINAL: YellowHawk

I noticed a couple of days ago that there is fluid leaking from my clutch cable about midway between the clutch handle and where it goes under the bottom of the bike. There is a rubber boot that covers where the cable connects and swivels. It's leaking there under the boot and running down the cable. It doesn't look like that connection can be tightened in any way. Anyone else seen this problem or know what to do about it? It's an 06 Super Glide.
Do you check your oil regularly?? Have your bike serviced at the dealer??

It's more than likely oil that has dripped off the dipstick, or been dripped on it when oil had been put in the bike.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:27 PM
Y2KFXDman
Advanced

Inside the transmission end cover, lubricant naturally splashes onto the working end of the clutch cable. The lubricant runs down the cable and into the cable sheath, seeking its own level at point of entry. That’s nice, because it’s lubricating half the clutch cable for you!

But you are concerned about oil on the OUTSIDE of the cable sheath. Either an O-ring (cable fittingto trans cover) isn’t sealing properly or your cable sheath is letting some lubricant out (fitting, crimp, age cracks, pinhole damage from debris, whatever.) Not a big deal. Mine seeps out,and I wipe it with a rag when I think of it.

Related servicing tip: every so often, you can disconnect your clutch cable at the lever, detach it from all other places on the machine, and then lay the cable down upon some newspaper on the floor overnight. By morning, the little bit of trapped lubricant had treated the rest of the cable... assuming you have lubricant trapped in there.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:40 PM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Exactly Y2K...it's coming out around the fittings underneath the boot. The cable adjustment nuts I guess...I have been just wiping it clean. I appears to be the same fluid that's in the transmission. If it's not too big a deal, I won't worry about it.