Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   are my Dyno #'s OK? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/186159-are-my-dyno-s-ok.html)

impala 01-18-2008 03:22 PM

are my Dyno #'s OK?

I just had my stock FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide dyno'ed to get a "before" reading before I do my mods.
the readings are Max Power = 62.29 and Max Torque = 76.30. at around 3300rpm and 60 mph.

Next I went to my owners manual and it states 91 ft lbs@ 3000 rpm. HD website states 92 ft lbs@ 3000.
WHERE HAS MY 15.7 LBS OF TORQUE Gone????
Does the moco measure differently?
I am sure the would quote the max numbers at ideal conditions.
Is the moco torque at the rear wheel as on a dyno?

The dyno was a dynojet, winpep 7, CF:SAE Smoothing: 4, run condition: 41.45 deg F, 29.82 in-Hg, humidity 30%, SAE: 0.94
and he ran it in 4th gear.

I am wondering if my numbers are low or is this normal?

chrisu 01-18-2008 03:36 PM

RE: are my Dyno #'s OK?

I'm pretty sure that HD's numbers are at the crank and not the rear wheel. You're going to lose at least 10-15% at the wheel. There are others here more knowledgable than I who I'm sure will chime in.

Azgunner 01-18-2008 04:05 PM

That's interesting, your #s sound about the same as an 88"er. What engine mods do you plan to do?

amish 01-18-2008 04:48 PM

with my setup i got
81.5 max power
98.2 max torque

stock was
78.3 max power
94.8 max torque

impala 01-18-2008 05:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Azgunner

That's interesting, your #s sound about the same as an 88"er. What engine mods do you plan to do?

I think the dyno numbers are very low.

mods will be
D&D fat cats w/quiet baffles
Tmax w auto tune
D&M fwd faceing a/c

an "after dyno"

johnfxdb 01-19-2008 01:29 PM

Dyno numbers are very missleading..Dyno's vary a lot and it really depends on the operator and the set up they are running. Your numbers for a stock 96cid sound reasonable. The torque numbers listed in the HD literature are measured at the crank. With a SE A/C, Thunderheader, and SERT I am running about 71HP and 81 Ft/lbs torque.

Unless you are going to get crazy with internal engine mods, don't worry about the dyno numbers too much. The best use of the dyno is for tuning. If you find a GOOD dyno tuner, I would invest in that. You will be amazed how much smoother the bike will run. How it rides and feels is more important than a piece of graph paper with lines on it. (IMO)

RonnR 01-19-2008 02:58 PM

ORIGINAL: johnfxdb

The best use of the dyno is for tuning. If you find a GOOD dyno tuner, I would invest in that. You will be amazed how much smoother the bike will run. How it rides and feels is more important than a piece of graph paper with lines on it. (IMO)
Here Here Well said..

impala 01-20-2008 06:18 PM

ORIGINAL: johnfxdb

Dyno numbers are very missleading..Dyno's vary a lot and it really depends on the operator and the set up they are running. Your numbers for a stock 96cid sound reasonable. The torque numbers listed in the HD literature are measured at the crank. With a SE A/C, Thunderheader, and SERT I am running about 71HP and 81 Ft/lbs torque.

Unless you are going to get crazy with internal engine mods, don't worry about the dyno numbers too much. The best use of the dyno is for tuning. If you find a GOOD dyno tuner, I would invest in that. You will be amazed how much smoother the bike will run. How it rides and feels is more important than a piece of graph paper with lines on it. (IMO)

Thanks, now I can sleep easy.