Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fork brace, SE Heavy duty fork oil and wider tyre on fxdx

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 07:52 AM
eazyride
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fork brace, SE Heavy duty fork oil and wider tyre on fxdx

i found some posts about fork brace but they're all mostly on wide glides with their wider triple tree.

i was thinking about replacing the fork oil with the SE heavy duty just to get better or more rigid handling like softail. Some say the oil takes aways the "dive" when braking, or like not as deep as w/ the stock oil. Is it that significant compared to stock oil? Has any1 tried under rain?

What about fork brace on FXDX super glide sport? the triple tree is narrower than the w/g's

my stock rear tyre on my 04 fxdx is 150 wide. Can i still put on a 160 w/out installing wide tyre kit or scrapping the belt drive?

Old 02-13-2008, 07:16 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts
Default RE: fork brace, SE Heavy duty fork oil and wider tyre on fxdx

I've got a fork brace on order from Superbrace for my '01 FXDXT (same forks as yours...39mm narrow glide) Have you tried to increase the preload on your front springs? Compression dampening? Do you have an owners manual??? Sounds like your front end just ain't set up right.

[IMG]local://upfiles/32069/3ECBE20864DA44219CA4364A24B47BDA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-17-2008, 10:44 PM
eazyride
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont got the owner's manual. But changed the fork oil with heavy SE fork oil. havent noticed any difference yet coz havent got time to really try it, still rains a lot here. But i got this tips from the mechanics how to set the compression dampening...

but if you got more tips..i'd like to hear'em please, thanks!

now, i'm thinking of changing the rear tyre with 160, a 10mm wider than stock. But not sure it'd fit without wide tyre kit.

ORIGINAL: sharkey

I've got a fork brace on order from Superbrace for my '01 FXDXT (same forks as yours...39mm narrow glide) Have you tried to increase the preload on your front springs? Compression dampening? Do you have an owners manual??? Sounds like your front end just ain't set up right.

[IMG]local://upfiles/32069/3ECBE20864DA44219CA4364A24B47BDA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-18-2008, 10:36 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

Compression dampening is the little adjuster at the bottom of the fork. 14 clicks from Hard to Soft. Try it about 4 clicks off "H" for starters

Rebound dampening is the adjuster on top of the forks. 17 clicks from H to S.

Preload of the front fork springs is done with a 7/8 wrench on the nut under the rebound adjuster at the top of the forks. A series of lines is etched on the tube under the nut so you can turn it and ensure they are the same both sides. About .5 - 1.0" of squat is correct when you sit on the bike. Bounce the bike a few times while sitting on it, measure the tube from lower fork leg to triple clamp, sit on the bike (need someone to hold it up and measure for you) and the forks should compress about 1/2 to 1". Clockwise on the 7/8 nut increases pre-load, also check the rear shock pre-load at this time in the same manner. Ride and adjust to suit your preference.....there's also 10 clicks of rebound adjustment at the rear shocks.