Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$300 to spend - Seat or Shocks for comfort upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 03:11 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default $300 to spend - Seat or Shocks for comfort upgrade?

So you may have noticed I do a lot of long rides with my wife on the bike. We ride 2up about 90% of the time, when I am not riding to work and back.

Been doing some good 500mile days, etc.

Anyway, been looking to upgrade for comfort, and can't decide if shocks or a more touring style seat would be best.

So been thinking about the Progressive's 412-430's (if I can find a good deal), or maybe a deal on a Mustang seat, or Harley seat, etc.

Please, I only have $300, so don't go into the whole Ricor suggestions. I am working within my budget to make things more comfortable for both of us.

So any feedback on which would be a better comfort upgrade for the price? to clarify, we are very comfortable on the seat you see in the pic below, just looking for something for those big riding days, which leads me to think that the shocks would be a better value overall.

anyway, just rambing, and any reviews/feedback is welcomed.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:15 PM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 37,085 Likes on 12,847 Posts

Mustang seats made my bike much more comfortable,it's an easy,immediate improvement and you can find used ones.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:20 PM
dreamer65
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

spend the money on a nice seat. 1st time my wife rode on my dyna she said "NOW iI know why women like to ride on harley's" get her a nice comfortble seat I put a tallboy harley seat on and she never complains no matter how many times i ask her if she ok back there, she says i'm nice
I just 412 on my fxdc seem to be better than the stock shocks, is you wife on the small side you probably get away with the stock ones for a bit
I got my seat from zanotti's save about 60 bucks, and the shocks i got from eastern performace save about 90.00 and they had free delivery , order on a tuesday and gothem on wednesday ,on the bike on thursday.

Last edited by dreamer65; 06-29-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:26 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Best money you will ever spend would be a Mustang Wide Super Touring Vintage seat, my OL loves the back seat and I can ride all day without any discomfort whatsoever.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:11 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Given that most all the aftermarket seats I've seen are well over $400, none of those are really in the picture for the OP.

That said..............why now get BOTH a seat and shocks. I have the HD "touring seat (p/n 51472-06) which you can get from Zanotti for just $182 and then cruise on over to ebay for a set of next to new take off HD bagger air shocks (54565-09) for $50-100 (depends how patient you are) and over to Napa for some Schrader valves with 1/8" NPT (you can add the line kit from HD later for around $50 and you are done - mind you, you'll need a shock pump but they can be found aftermarket (same as the HD pump and Progressive Susp.) for around$25 rather than thr $50 from HD. You''' have a pretty nice seat that you'll both find comfy and the for the money the bagger shocks can't be beat - make sure you get the -09 versions and hold out for low/no miles take offs rather than used pooh.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:12 PM
stev0n
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will say the best money you could ever spend would be on a C&C seat.

My personal experience with the mustang wide vintage seat was terrible. the seat was extremely uncomfortable for me after maybe 30 miles.

we've put several hundred miles on my c & c sport tour & no complaints from her.

Regardless of the brand you choose, out of the thousands of dollars i've spent, my seat is hands down the best investment i've made!

And my seat was only $125 on this forum.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:24 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

P51Bombay: those shocks look great. thanks for the input. Always looking for ways to save money.

My experience with mustang seats was also not good but I have a severe back injury that the seat pressed on every time I went for a ride so my experience is definitely skewed because of that.

I bought a corbin and had them cut the back down an inch and I was fine. OP corbins are great seats but sounds to me like the seat you have works great. A detachable windshield and a good set of shocks would be a comfort helper. Kuryakyn foot pegs help reduce the vibes on the hwy pegs as well. Good grips and pegs can help a lot also. Just make sure your bike is set up comfortable for you and your lady and those 500 mile days should be a whole lot more fun.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:26 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I got a very lightweight full face helmet that I use for long trips. It helped my comfort level a great deal too. its great in the rain, hail , storms etc. Rain at 80mph stings LOL. I know FF helmets are not for everyone but its great keeping your face covered in bad weather.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:52 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member

LOL - Have a windshield, and good pegs. I actually fit my bike like a GLOVE and love it, which is why I am debating the seat or shocks. I'd hate to have my riding position change up or forward due to a "touring" seat.

Last edited by DSnoopy; 06-29-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:59 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by p51bombay
Given that most all the aftermarket seats I've seen are well over $400, none of those are really in the picture for the OP.

That said..............why now get BOTH a seat and shocks. I have the HD "touring seat (p/n 51472-06) which you can get from Zanotti for just $182 and then cruise on over to ebay for a set of next to new take off HD bagger air shocks (54565-09) for $50-100 (depends how patient you are) and over to Napa for some Schrader valves with 1/8" NPT (you can add the line kit from HD later for around $50 and you are done - mind you, you'll need a shock pump but they can be found aftermarket (same as the HD pump and Progressive Susp.) for around$25 rather than thr $50 from HD. You''' have a pretty nice seat that you'll both find comfy and the for the money the bagger shocks can't be beat - make sure you get the -09 versions and hold out for low/no miles take offs rather than used pooh.

Thanks for the options man! I'll look into it!

PS - Since I'm an idiot about such things, what is the valve for?

Last edited by DSnoopy; 06-29-2011 at 05:02 PM.

Quick Reply: $300 to spend - Seat or Shocks for comfort upgrade?