Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BCT Baffles + stock baffles in Big Radius

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 09:50 PM
TheGuyWhoPosted
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BCT Baffles + stock baffles in Big Radius

I just ordered some Big Radius exhaust for my 06 Bob. I knowV&H makes a quiet baffle, but my question is regarding installation of Big City Thunder baffles. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with installing the BCT baffles deeper inside the BigRad pipes and then putting the stock BigRad baffle back in behind the BCT. I've read mixed reviews of the BCT baffles by themselves and from what I've read the stock Big Radius baffles are about average when it comes to power development.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:12 PM
96 Wide Glide
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: BCT Baffles + stock baffles in Big Radius

Forget about the V&H! They dont make a " Quiet baffle" for the BR pipes!
If you decide to install the BCT baffles, report back with your findings. I rode my bike today for the first time with the BR, and even wearing my 3/4 helmet to keep my ears warm, I could tell............ They were loud!

Cheers... Ben.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:22 PM
TheGuyWhoPosted
Tourer

I think BCT has some level of a tech/advice dept, I might call them and see what they think. I'm sure they'll just say whatever will lead me to buy their product.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:42 PM
96 Wide Glide
Road Master

I think your right, but have you read some of the recent posts by guys that are running that setup?
They all seem more than happy with the monster baffles.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:14 AM
dirico1266
Tourer

I have the BCT baffles that I just installed over the weekend. I am happy about the sound. It is pretty loud. Lost power and torque.

The stock baffles that I have on my dyna 07 are 2 1/2 - 3 times in length. Also after I installed the BCT using the same button hole which resulted in a loss of power. After reading the instructions again the button hole should be 3-6 inches inside the pipe. They say that 6 inches in the pipe in the sweet spot. If you use the hole that is 1-2 inches from the end you will lose power and torque which is absolutley true in my case. I suppose if there is enough room for both baffles to go in I think I would be beyond the 6 inch they recommend.

I will tryreinstalling again but I am tired of taking the heat shields off. lol

Old 02-25-2008, 12:00 PM
brownie9xi
Intermediate

I installed the BCT baffles in my BR pipes last summer. I wanted to get rid of the raspy sound the BR pipeshad and read here on the site that they would do that and also give the pipes a deeper sound. At the time there was a thread about the BCT baffles and BR pipes and someone responded that they had called BCT and asked if cutting the old baffles in half and installing them with the BCT baffles would quiet the pipesdown a bit and would that have any adverse effect on performance. They told him itshould quiet the pipes down a little and there should be no performance issues.

Well after installing the BCT baffles I gotrid of the raspy sound and definitely had a deeper sound but,they were also louder. Almost like no baffles at all. So I called BCT and asked about installing the original baffles along with the BCT baffles and they told me the same thing as the first caller. Theyalso saidthat on the BR pipes that the BCT baffles must be mounted 6-7 inches from the end of the pipe.

So, I did the following to install the BCT/original bafflesrilled a new hole about 6 inches from the end of each pipe, making sure that the hole would not be under the bracket that holds the heat shield on. I then measured from that hole to the end of that section of the exhaust pipe where it is welded to the pipe coming off the engine. I cut the original baffle about a 1/4 longer than what I measured with the BCT baffle inserted into the end of the original baffle. The BCT baffles are smaller than the original baffles (this allows them to get past the curve of the BR pipes) and the end of the BCT baffle will fit into the end of the original baffle about a half inch (from whatI remember). I then slid both baffles into the BR pipe as far asthey would go, making a mark on the BCT baffle through the hole I had drilled. Pulled everything back out and measured from the mark I made to the center of the bolt hole on the BCT baffle and cut this amount off the original baffle. Put the two baffles back into the pipe, both holes now matched up and the end of the original baffle was tight up against the end of that section of exhaust pipe.

I might not have needed to do all that but could think of no other way of keeping the section of original baffle from vibrating around looseinside the exhaust without drilling another hole to attach the old baffle.

End result is a sound that is quieter and deeper than what I had, with as far as I can tell, no loss of performance.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:00 PM
TheGuyWhoPosted
Tourer

brownie9xi, thanks for the info and tips. That's pretty much the kind of info I was hoping to find. I'm really trying to get as much HP and TQ as possible out of the great looking BigRad pipes. I currently have Cycle Shack turnout slipons and as much as I like the sound and performance, the long pipe look has got to go.

It seems to me that the stock V&H baffle in the BigRad is very low restriction and probably does not provide adequate backpressureand that the BCT baffle is also very low restriction and also does not provide adequate backpressure by itself. I'm thinking using both baffles together might provide proper exhaust flow for performance and might be low in tone and sub150 db.

brownie9xi, would you still say that your double baffle setup was loud? I like loud, just not warzone loud.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:32 PM
brownie9xi
Intermediate

Yes it is still loud, just not straight pipe loud. I stay off the throttle getting into and out of the neighborhood.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:48 PM
BeltFedBob
Stage IV

What I did to my 07 FXDWG is installed the BCT baffles in the head pipe then installed a pair of SEII's. The SEII's I modified by pulling the baffles and reversing the cone (cut cone out and flipped over and welded it back in) I left the holes alone.

I like the sound now, not too loud but it still sets off the ricers alarm systems when I putt by.

BTW, it also has the SE air cleaner with a small cover, and a SE race tune with stock O2's. Gobs of torque up to 60mph, cause that's all the faster I go on this one ;-)

Old 02-25-2008, 07:53 PM
96 Wide Glide
Road Master

Any of you guys running BR's find a real flat spot at low rpm's? No tach but I'm guessing about 2200-3000 range. My bikes a carbed 5 speed, so it's likeley different than you guys with injected 6 speeds, but for me it's right at the around in town 30mph in third gear speed.
Hopeing I can tune this out, but not sure. Kinda tough to creep around incognito, when you have to rev it to 3000 rpm with these pipes [>:]!

Cheers... Ben.