Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Adjustment Question and Help PLEASE. . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 02:09 PM
up in minot
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Adjustment Question and Help PLEASE. . .

I have an '08 FXDC, with Street Bob mini apes (not sure if this matters). I am doing the 1K service myself, withthe service manual. I've gotten stuck on the clutch adjutment section. I've done it twice now (exactly by the book), but something seems a little weird to me;

BEFOREI did the adjustment, I could have the bike in gear, and roll her, back and forth, with the clutch pulled in, and she seemed a bit harder to move then when she was in nuetral, but still possible.

AFTER I did the adjustment, I can roll her in nuetral, no problems, but when she's in gear, even with the clutch pulled in, she doesn't want to move.

Now, I talked to a friend already, was told to try to start her up, and do it all while she was running. I hesitantly (and carefully) tried this. Everything seemed to work as advertised! She moved smooth as could be in nuetral, and in gear, with the clutch pulled in, she rolled easily also. Now, even in gear, with the clutch pulled in, while running, she doesn't feel like she's trying to pull me. I have to let the clutch out about an 1/8" to have her start moving (which makes sense since this is the amount of free play I put on the clutch cable).

Even after she's warmed up a little, and I shut her down, I can move her in gear, with the clutch pulled in. Once she cools down though, it's back to not being able to roll her around, except in nuetral.

Does this all sound correct to all of you, or does it seem like I did something wrong with the adjustment?

Old 04-14-2008, 02:36 PM
glide05
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Clutch Adjustment Question and Help PLEASE. . .

ORIGINAL: up in minot

........ I have to let the clutch out about an 1/8" to have her start moving (which makes sense since this is the amount of free play I put on the clutch cable).
This does not sound correct to me. I would expect that you need to let the lever out much more than 1/8" before it starts to engage. Sounds like that your adjustments don't allow it to be completely disengaged when you pull the lever all the way in?

You need to completely collapse the clutch cable by loosening the adjuster on the cable. The lever should be flopping around at this point. Then you need to go to the clutch end behind the derby cover, loosen the big nut - then adjust the hex screw per the manual. Once this is correct, tighten the "big nut", replace the cover, and use the cable adjuster until the correct free play (about 1/8" as you mentioned).

Is this the approach you took?

Old 04-14-2008, 03:04 PM
up in minot
Road Captain

Yes, this is EXACTLY how I did, and how the manual told me to do it. I actually did it twice, to make sure I didn't forget something, or do something incorrectly. I might have to let the clutch lever out a bit more than an 1/8" to before she starts moving. I didn't have a tape measure out there to check it, but it sure does seem like the friction point is a lot sooner than it was previously. That's not so much what I'm concerned with though. It's more that when she's "cold", I can't roll her, in gear, with the clutch lever pulled in, but when she's started, I can (easily). Is this normal? I'm confused because some say it is, but it "feels" weird to me. I can't remember if she was like this when I first got her or not...

Old 04-14-2008, 03:14 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I read you right, the 1/8" you are refering to is from disengaged to catching is 1/8". The play is measured with the lever loose, no hands on, then with the first pull of the lever it should be free (loose) for the first 1/8" of travel, it should disengage the clutch about half way pulled in. This is done by adjusting the cable until it is tight, then backing off until the 1/8" play is established. I'm not sure but I think you are doing it backwards. Good Luck

Old 04-14-2008, 03:20 PM
amish
Road Captain

wel if you have it all buttoned up and is rideable i woudl suggest riding over to your dealer and haveing then readjust it for you. im sure it wouldnt cost that much at all and then they could tell you what you need to do different next time.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:23 PM
up in minot
Road Captain

I don't think I'm doing it backwards, but I could be wrong. No hands on the lever, the distance between the clutch cable fennel (spelling?) and the housing is 1/8" distance.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Lone Watie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try this method https://www.hdforums.com/m_3088637/m...tm.htm#3089711 - a slight alteration of the service manual. Used it the other day and my gears are real smooth, and no issues with pulling clutch in.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:25 PM
cornishman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: up in minot

I have an '08 FXDC, with Street Bob mini apes (not sure if this matters). I am doing the 1K service myself, withthe service manual. I've gotten stuck on the clutch adjutment section. I've done it twice now (exactly by the book), but something seems a little weird to me;

BEFOREI did the adjustment, I could have the bike in gear, and roll her, back and forth, with the clutch pulled in, and she seemed a bit harder to move then when she was in nuetral, but still possible.

AFTER I did the adjustment, I can roll her in nuetral, no problems, but when she's in gear, even with the clutch pulled in, she doesn't want to move.

Now, I talked to a friend already, was told to try to start her up, and do it all while she was running. I hesitantly (and carefully) tried this. Everything seemed to work as advertised! She moved smooth as could be in nuetral, and in gear, with the clutch pulled in, she rolled easily also. Now, even in gear, with the clutch pulled in, while running, she doesn't feel like she's trying to pull me. I have to let the clutch out about an 1/8" to have her start moving (which makes sense since this is the amount of free play I put on the clutch cable).

Even after she's warmed up a little, and I shut her down, I can move her in gear, with the clutch pulled in. Once she cools down though, it's back to not being able to roll her around, except in nuetral.

Does this all sound correct to all of you, or does it seem like I did something wrong with the adjustment?
Just tried to do the same as you and the same result. Will move easy in gear with the engine running but not without.The only clutch adjustment i,ve done was on the cable when i changed to braided (not inside the derby). So i assume its something inheirant and not a problem thats occured. Would make bump starting a little different as i would normally start rolling in gear with the clutch in. Anyone trieda bump start?

Old 04-14-2008, 03:32 PM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you are talking about resitance when rolling bike in gear with clutch in especiallywhen bikeis cold they all do that it should be free in N If you have the 1/8 free pplay clutch should be adjusted correctly but hard to say with out being there

Old 04-14-2008, 03:36 PM
up in minot
Road Captain

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. It's not that there's resistance, it's that it's like the bike's still in gear/no moving her what-so-ever.

Quick Reply: Clutch Adjustment Question and Help PLEASE. . .