Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mods to my '06 super glide

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 09:17 AM
jimw411
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mods to my '06 super glide

Hello, My name is Jim and i'm new to the forum.
I bought my first bike last week, 2006 Dyna Superglide, fuel injected vivd black, and i love it too death. I've alwasy been a motor head when it comes to cars and can never leave anything alone, so naturally i've already done a few mods to my bike and plan on doing a few more but have a few questions.

The mods i've already done are:

-Relocated front turn signals to the forks
-changed grips
-installed forward controls with new pegs
-lay down license plate bracket
-put on a 2" up 2" back riser and installed the extended brake line

I havent screwed anything up yet so i'm quite confident so far.

The mods i want to do are:

-Remove the ugly a$$ fuel evap canister from the front of the frame
-Installing aftermarket pipes (most likely vance and hines)
-Installing some sort of k&n air cleaner (not sure on which housing i like yet)

The questions i have are: What do i do with what lines on the evap canister if i remove it, and how will my gas tank vent if i remove it?
My other question is as far as mapping, how much does it cost? and will mapping be different if the evap canister is on or off? will these performance mods effect my warranty?

Another question/concern i have, I live in california and will be taking my motorcycle license test on this bike at the end of the month. Will they test me if i mod it all up by putting on loud pipes and removing the stupid reflectors and installing the smoked turn signal covers???

I appreciate any feedback and will be posting here often is i become more familiar with my bike. It's still new with only 250 miles on it so far and the garage reeks of new bike smell.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9328/5860D7A31D8E4680BADE87E04218B4FA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-12-2006, 02:25 PM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Mods to my '06 super glide

Jim,

While I am pretty new to Harleys, "mine will be in May 15th". I can probably answer your question. If I were you I would NOT modify your bike all that much until after you take your test. While I am not familiar with California laws, I have been a cop here in Texas for 14 years. The examiner is required to inspect your bike before giving you the road test. So, while on one hand you might get lucky and they will pass your bike. Depending on the examiner they can definately not allow you to test on a bike that does not pass the state requirements. Which would mostly just pertain to the sound, and the other modifications shouldnt be a problem. They might also have a problem with the smoked tail light covers, depending on how they affect the color emitted when your turn signals and brakes are applied. Hope this helped somewhat.

Old 03-12-2006, 05:35 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the board man...good people here and you should be able to get answers to your questions pretty quickly.
Bike looks great man....you sound like you've been bitten by the bug!

I can't help you with the evap canister thing...but I'm sure someone can...as far as the mods, I agree with the previous post. Why take a chance before you get the license. Or, you might want to think about just taking the riders edge/msf course. I don't know if they'd be quite as harsh about mods...not only that, you'll learn a lot of invaluable things, and you take the test at the end of it (if you pass you get your license that way)...at least that's how it worked in NJ.
Good luck

Todd

Old 03-13-2006, 11:01 PM
jimw411
Tourer

Right now, i'm going to leave everything alone till after the test which is at the end of the month. I'm going to leave the air cleaner and exuast stock for a while while i catch up on the bills. The one thing i really want to do is ditch the evap canister, it destroys the beauty of my bike. You got $15,000 bike that all streem lined and hard looking and then theres this ugly round plastic thing about the size of a fosters beer can mounted to the frame below the voltage regulator. I just dont want to have to map it if i remove it, thats the question and also what lines to leave open and which to plug. Anyways, i appreciate your comments and feedback. As far as the CHP motorcycle safety coarse i'd rather not have to take it to get my license. I work nights doing security and being up during the day for 2 days will kill me as far as sleep deprivation goes. I work to the DMV today and took a spin around the test coarse that they make you go through and i was suprised at how well i did. I tried it the weekend i got the bike after i put on the forward controls and sucked severly. This time i was proficiant in everthing but going around in the circle to the right (clockwise). Anyways, i got a couple more weeks to practice, and i'd to the pass so i can throw it in all my friends faces that i passed it first try on my Dyna. All my friends ride sportsters and 3 of them dont even have a permit yet.

Old 03-14-2006, 04:01 AM
Sooee
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

G'day Jim, welcome to the HDForum from New Zealand, enjoy!!!! [sm=welcomesign.gif]

Old 03-18-2006, 04:33 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

Removing the vapor canister:
The single hose on the right side of the bike from the vapor canister goes up under the tank and doesn't connect to anything it is just a breather hose you can just pull it out.

On the left side of the bike you have two hose's coming off of the canister. The canister is labeled carb / tank, disconnect the tank hose and follow it up the frame to a little vapor valve, remove hose from the bottom of this little vapor valve and remove the hose. This is now your 49 state tank vent, you can also get the 49 state vent hose that connects to the vapor valve and runs up under the tank, it is in the Harley parts catalog (99439-06A) item 13 on page 90 P/N 27296-04A TUBE, VALVE TO ATMOSPHERE and a retaining clip item 7 P/N 10113 CLIP, DOUBLE HOSE.

Disconnect the carb hose from the vapor canister, this line goes up the frame and under the tank to a connection behind the top left side of the air cleaner, it connects to the intake manifold, disconnect and put a cap on the port of the intake. (In the Harley parts catalog (99439-06A) on page 20 they list a cap plug item 21 P/N 90383-98 CAP PLUG, INDUCTION MODULE that might be the one to use.) This hose is difficult to remove, I took off the rubber hose from the plastic tube by the intake and pulled the hose out from the front of the tank and broke off a clip that supports a harness that comes out of the bottom of the tank, but I was able to ty-wrap that harness to another harness under the tank near the frame. If you cut the plastic tube end off that has the ridge, it will not hang up on anything and it will just slide out.

The vapor canister bracket has a clip that you depress and then the canister can slide off the bracket. Loosen the two allen head bolts that hold the bracket on to the frame, remove top bolt then rotate bracket and put the bolt back in and tighten it down, then remove lower bolt and bracket, reinstall lower bolt and tighten it down.

Last edited by WS6 Formula; 02-20-2009 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Updated part number and added highlighted links
The following users liked this post:
Blue Bob (08-07-2021)
Old 03-18-2006, 10:16 AM
jimw411
Tourer

Excellent, Thanks for the info "WS6" i will put it to good use tommorow.

Old 03-20-2006, 01:40 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

Photo of Canister and Decals Removed

Old 07-07-2006, 02:55 PM
clamiero
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info. Question: what did you use to cap the hole in the intake manifold once you removed the carb line?

Old 07-07-2006, 03:12 PM
Bruinx9
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome welocm i have an 06 superglide custom vivid black. i am just now getting into the mod stage. wow what i would like to do. Advise on the msf course...i have been riding for years and i am in the af which makes you do it. I'll tell you honestly i learned a lot and all i had to do was walk into the dmv and i have the lic. What i did was went and got my permit and then the Experienced course is only 5-6 hours long. well worth it. Also if you have medical insurance through work your employer may be required to give you a paid day off to fullfill your insurance safty requirments for riding the bike. It'll save you on insurance as well. I believe the advanced course is the way to go for you. it's not hard and kind of fun as well. Happy modding.

Rob

Quick Reply: Mods to my '06 super glide