Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just assembled the slotted 6 spoke, forgot/missed the shim...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 07:43 PM
devildocjames
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just assembled the slotted 6 spoke, forgot/missed the shim...

So, yeah, I just got the new tire, had it mounted to my new 21" Slotted 6 Spoke, bought the ABS bearing kit, got home, and went to town.

Well, I noticed the shim after the bearings and sleeve/spacer were all put together. Actually, I was right about to put it up and jam the axle through when I saw it in the package.

My question is, will it be an issue if I torque it down and ride?

The kit cost $80 and a new bearing alone is about $35. That's not counting the hassle of pulling the bearing.

I'm hoping I'm gtg and the shim is only for aligning the bearing and not for stability or tracking the bearings on the wheel.

Thanks for any help!

Old 03-10-2018, 08:16 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

Are you talking about the shim that goes on the side opposite of the wheel speed sensor? If so you absolutely have to install it

Old 03-10-2018, 08:21 PM
devildocjames
Cruiser

I need "A, B, C," and "K", according to my year and model.

I don't have "K" (the shim) installed.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:29 PM
Cogswell
Road Captain
Received 261 Likes on 126 Posts

If it was mine I would take it back apart and fix it properly. Not a good place to chance it.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:36 PM
devildocjames
Cruiser

Yeah, I'm already OMW to Auto Zone to borrow their bearing puller. Hopefully I don't damage the bearings.

Thanks!

Old 03-10-2018, 09:12 PM
Dynaglide92
Road Master
Received 188 Likes on 136 Posts

The axle sleeve will not make contact with either bearing causing side load which lead to premature bearing failure and can wear out the hubs destroying the wheel in the process. The shim is extremely important also please please use the right one! Most Harley wheel install kits come with two different spacers you only need one and it goes on the primary side

Last edited by Dynaglide92; 03-10-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:17 PM
devildocjames
Cruiser

The axle sleeve sits firm and flush with both inner races of the bearings. There is one spacer, for the outer, right side. And one shim, to go between the hub and left bearing .The shim contacts the outer race and not the inner, of the left/ABS bearing.

So, the bearings are properly spaced with the sleeve. I think the shim is what sets the position of the wheel on the bearings .

Old 03-11-2018, 01:30 PM
devildocjames
Cruiser
Default Update

So, I pulled both bearings with a slide hammer/puller combo. I checked both bearings for any damage, along with the sleeve and didn't find anything. After that, I installed the shim, reinstalled the same bearings and it all fits the same way.

Also, the hub cap/dust cover provided for single disk brake bikes does/did not come with screws to install it. The thread size is 5/16"-18. FYI, that's the same for the exhaust mounting bolts, which is what I used to measure the thread. I purchased some stainless steel hex bolts, 1", washers, and installed the cap. The stock spacer is required, again, another oversight on my part. Last night I was going to install it with the new spacer, but, the directions (if you're a commie and read directions... the first go around) says to discard the included spacer and use the stock one for the FXDWG.

I'll try to post some pics once I go to my girl's place and thank her for the new wheel...

Pics of the parts required below.

Parts required

Keep stock spacer

Old 03-12-2018, 09:36 AM
Cogswell
Road Captain
Received 261 Likes on 126 Posts

Glad to see you got it sorted out !

Last edited by Cogswell; 03-12-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:49 AM
devildocjames
Cruiser

Thanks! I'm getting a pulsing vibration above 60mph though .The shop that mounted my tire was not able to balance it, because I didnt have the bearings in at the time. I'm hoping that's the issue. Going to get a bubble balancer today and see if that fixes it .

Sorry about the giant screenshots .

Quick Reply: Just assembled the slotted 6 spoke, forgot/missed the shim...